• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce road tractor conversion

RAYZER

Ray after looking at this build thread I can't believe you let me drive this truck! I can tell you it drives perfect, what a sweet truck.
Im glad you were able to stop by and visit Pat! And It was my pleasure to have you drive the tractor to sonny's for some tasty bbq!
Then you went right home and bought a deuce!:D

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray, what was the hardest part about your tractor build? Was it mounting and pluming the extra tank? Do you have a switch on the dash that lets you select the tank you want or is it all connected to the one on the right?

RAYZER

Ray, what was the hardest part about your tractor build? Was it mounting and pluming the extra tank? Do you have a switch on the dash that lets you select the tank you want or is it all connected to the one on the right?
I think the hardest part of the build had to be all the cosmetics, prep, bodywork, paint, disasembly and reassembly.
The duel tank setup works like this:the origional main tank only supplies the fuel system, the added tank holds my alternative fuel and transfers over via its intank pump to the origional main tank, this allows me to mix in the main tank, the switch is hidden.

Dipstick

looks great. I want to build a single axle deuce tractor.
I like the single axle Deuce tractor concept myself. The only problem is the 11,000 lb. spring limit when using front springs on the rear of a bobber. I wonder if you could have a spring shop add a few leafs to them or use the front springs from a 5 ton mounted to the stock Deuce rear? Does anyone know what the dimensions of a 5 tons front springs are?

Oh, and Rayzer......nice job man!!!

Dipstick

Thank you Rayzer and Digger. Roads in N.J. are not the smoothest. My rear axle does bounce a bit on the rough patches. On some civi trucks they use a helper spring that is mounted to the top of the main spring stack, but only contacts frame mounted pads under heavy loads. When unloaded the main springs do all the work. I was thinking along the lines of pulling an equipment trailer someday or having a bomb type hoist frame made. I have read here that bobbed Deuces don't have much weight carrying ability. My truck has a surprisingly high 5,200 pounds on the rear unloaded. I'm sure the dropside bed adds a lot. They are hefty in construction.

welldigger

How about 5 ton front springs for a single rear axle set up ?
Well if you want your kidneys beat to death then yes they would work. If you wanted to go with leaf springs then I would think the leaves off of a civy 2-3 ton truck with overload springs would be the way to go. The ride without a load will still be pretty rough with no weight on the back. But, it might be bearable that way.

welldigger

I don't think it would be that bad ? If the 2.5 fronts aren't enough, I can't see 5 ton fronts riding like bricks. I have never tried this either. Guys do it on bobbed 5 tons with no severe issues. Of not why couldn't you add airbags to the 2.5 ton springs ? Like helpers. It's done all the time. Won't be a factory MV look, but would work and is adjustable. Jim
With a trailer and a load 5 ton springs might not be horrible. Once you go bobtail its gonna be a whole different animal. With no weight on the rear end it will ride like a brick and the rear axle will bounce badly when going over bumps.

I'll admit after building a bobber with full air ride rear suspension leaf springs seem so inferior in every way. The ride is amazing with air bags and the weight capacity is much higher than even 5 ton springs. Even unloaded the air ride doesn't jar you around when hitting bumps.

RAYZER

The 5th wheel weights 900 lbs, ramps about 100 lbs, walking plate about 75lbs and behind the cab spare tire carrier about 200 lbs.

Dipstick

With a trailer and a load 5 ton springs might not be horrible. Once you go bobtail its gonna be a whole different animal. With no weight on the rear end it will ride like a brick and the rear axle will bounce badly when going over bumps.

I'll admit after building a bobber with full air ride rear suspension leaf springs seem so inferior in every way. The ride is amazing with air bags and the weight capacity is much higher than even 5 ton springs. Even unloaded the air ride doesn't jar you around when hitting bumps.
Digger, I am considering everyone's suggestions and yours is certainly interesting. Do you have any pictures and details on the air bag installation? I'd love to find out more. Thanks!

Dipstick

How about 5 ton front springs for a single rear axle set up ?
I'd like to get the measurements on them. I bet they're wider than 2.5 inches. I probably wouldn't be able to use the stock Deuce axle mounting hardware. I have a friend Glenn who owns a 900 series 5 ton. I should ask Glenn to measure his springs for me. He's always been helpful.

Dipstick

I don't think it would be that bad ? If the 2.5 fronts aren't enough, I can't see 5 ton fronts riding like bricks. I have never tried this either. Guys do it on bobbed 5 tons with no severe issues. Of not why couldn't you add airbags to the 2.5 ton springs ? Like helpers. It's done all the time. Won't be a factory MV look, but would work and is adjustable. Jim
That's another good idea. I wonder if heavier springs would control axle hop better? I hit some pretty bad washboard road surfaces here in NJ and boy do my heavy, dueled Firestone T-831 tires bounce around. I worry about stuff breaking. I wonder where you could get those helper air bags?

Dipstick

The 5th wheel weights 900 lbs, ramps about 100 lbs, walking plate about 75lbs and behind the cab spare tire carrier about 200 lbs.
That's really no too bad. I bet my 8 ft. dropside bed weighs as much if not more. Like your build and trailer by the way.

welldigger

Digger, I am considering everyone's suggestions and yours is certainly interesting. Do you have any pictures and details on the air bag installation? I'd love to find out more. Thanks!
No I wish I did. Me and mark both broke our phones before I put a thread up about the truck. So alls I posted was a few completed photos. I think I have a few photos of the freightliner suspension we used.

Dipstick

Just knowing you used a Freightliner suspension helps. I would love to see the pictures of the air suspension if you can post them or send them to me. The truck must look weird when the bags are deflated. Way down in the rear. I wonder how the air springs would work off-road?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks