• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce smoke video, do I need to turn my fuel down?

91W350

I recruited my brother and we went out and shot a video of the deuce climbing a local hill. After reading threads on exhaust temperatures and fueling rates, I have been a little concerned about mine. It smokes on idle, it always trails smoke when accelerating. The rpm in this video is all under 2200, probably under 2000. I think I see a pyro in my future. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCqiuW__Ak[/media]

Cantregister

No deuce expert but typically lots of black smoke means you are dumping lots of fuel in and is often associated with higher exhaust temps. The first part of the video, the smoke looks light gray (like oil burning with the diesel). Is she loosing more oil than normal between changes?

Capt.Marion

I'm assuming the truck was operating at or above 180° (operating temp) in both of those videos...

Based on the second part of the video, your fuel is adjusted to dump a LOT of fuel into the cylinders, based on the copious amounts of black smoke and the fact that you were able to accelerate as much as you did going up that hill... but these are simply my observations from my limited experience. Also, in the second part of the video, it sounded like you were lugging the **** out of your engine..., but again, just my 2 cents.

91W350

It is all black, that was with the sun behind the truck. The second half was the sun behind the camera or first half east bound, second half west bound. It does not use any oil that I can tell. When I checked it this morning, it was the same as it was when I changed the oil. I never have added any oil to it, but then I have only run it about 2500 miles.

91W350

It typically runs on the low side of 180 degrees and that is about 30 miles from home, I am sure we had her warmed up. The temperature is rock solid, never fluctuates after warming up. The video is the same hill, I just crested it, went down turned around and came back. They were shot not two minutes apart. Definitely no changes in settings. In the second half the wind stuffs the smoke back on the truck, in the first half it blows it off into the ditch. Thanks, Glen

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen yes I would never say turn up the fuel and don't have a correctly placed pyro.
If you read the TM trouble shooting the 465 it shows us how to check the boost at 1600rpm and at 2400. The droop controls the boost from 1600 to 2200. If the FDC was bypassed and the droop was not lowered the they will smoke more on the load. Trying to test a motor on a hill is not the best controled way. We need a wheeel dyno or like the TM shows us to hold brake and use that drag to hold a certian rpm while soldier B takes three different readings. The boost at 1600 was with out looking 4-5 lb and 2400 9 -10 lb.
I would say try and keep get the boost at 1600 back to 4-5 and at 2400 start with 12 lb and see if you are happy with the way it is performing. If the temps don't go crazy then raise the main more but you will have to lower the droop again. There is the smoke cam that has a angel set for your motor/ ip. If the droop dont get it you might have to pull off FDC and look at the angle the smoke cam is set at.
We can get it to where there is performance and some smoke.
You say that that was 2000 rpm but we don't take a hill at 2000. Maybe you were just trying to show how much smoke there was but when or before I get to a hill Im at or on the Gov. and I down shift at the correct time as to put it back on the Gov. You got to let them breath. When on the flats or no load the 1850 1900 rpm would not lugging but a diesel needs to be at the Govener on the hills. Well inless you got 400 or more ponies and no weight. lol

Last edited:

Westex

I've watched your video twice now, and I could swear that's somewhat of a white smoke on the first run; anyway, white smoke bad, black smoke not so bad. You might want to check the threads on the 'droop screw' on the injector pump, and either back in or back out, (I forget).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn it clockwise or in to drcrease fuel on droop and go easy a little turn goes a long way.

Last edited:

91W350

I agree it looks white with the sun on top of it. I have seen enough of it in the mirrors to know it is indeed black.

I never have hit the governor, never had it close to the governor if it is 2650. I never have turned this engine over 2400, rarely hits 2200, I usually shift around 1800 to 2000. The FDC is bypassed and it will clean up when not under load. You can always see a exhaust shadow when you look at the truck shadow, just not bellowing like the video. It made great fuel mileage pulling my pickup home from Rapid City, just under 11 mpg at 30 to 45 mph.

I have not been on a hill where I had to down shift, even pulling my pickup or a M105. I never haul a heavy load either. Pulling the M1008 out of the Missouri River Valley on I-90 it pulled down to 1800 just as we started cresting the hill. I kind of like the smoke, not sure how it can smoke like that and not just drain the fuel tank, but it does it. I just do not want a basket full of parts one day.

91W350

Black smoke can also indicate lack of air.......have you checked the air cleaner and all the ducting to the engine? Critters love to build nests in dark places.
Filter looks new and the tubes are clean. The filter minder does not indicate anything, yet.. Thanks though, it is the little stuff I always miss. Glen

Westech

CPL
don't be scared to run her at the RED line. Its made to do so... sounds like your lugging the engine and fuel loading. I shift at 2500 RPM and run out bouncing off the gov. Even my last deuce with a LDS pump and i played with it I would run down the road at 2900 RPM. I drove 900 miles non stop (fuel only) at 2900 RPM and towing a M1008. She is still alive today.

91W350

Rarely get above 2200 RPM? Dang! You need to get out on the highway some.
That is what I run on the highway, around 45 mph. I guess I spent too much time reading the what is it about 2650 rpm thread and do not want the slot in my block.

I know if I run 2200 to 2300 on the road it clears up,you can still see a smoke shadow, but it is not bellowing smoke like it does pulling.

Thanks guys, Glen

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice you respect you machine but atleast shift at close to or at red line/gov. on all gears and cruse at what you feel comfortable.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning Glen, the truck looks as beautiful as I remember it and I DO like the smoke a lot, last parade I had to add two gallons of oil to my fuel to get any smoke out of it. I did not realize that your FDC was bypassed? did you do that or was it like that when we picked it up? I am researching possibly doing that to my truck but do not have all the facts concerning it yet. Glen is Bighurt scheduled to pick up the 105 today? Let me know please I am just looking for a clue of when to expect him here. Thanks Glen you take care and talk more very soon
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks