• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce to a 8' Pickup Truck

M35A2usmc

Ok this may be a stupid question but I want to know would it ever be possible to convert a deuce to an 8 foot pickup truck?
**** By the way I am NOT A Marine it is my hope to join.****

Thanks
Matt

**** Just an FYI for everyone. Matt is a Freshman in high school. This will be his first vehicle ****
**** We welcome new/younger people to the hobby. Some of us are getting too old
- Warthog ****

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeepsinker

Negative, mine is full size. Just take a look at some pics of bobbed trucks, then note that most have a 12 foot bed and eyeball it. I don't see why a normal bobber couldn't be chopped a bit more with some good eyeballing and fabbing. May not be doable, I'm not sure because I've not bobbed one, but some of the other guys will chime in shortly.

M35A2usmc

Negative, mine is full size. Just take a look at some pics of bobbed trucks, then note that most have a 12 foot bed and eyeball it. I don't see why a normal bobber couldn't be chopped a bit more with some good eyeballing and fabbing. May not be doable, I'm not sure because I've not bobbed one, but some of the other guys will chime in shortly.
Nice would love full sized but don't have the space right now. And I'm only a freshman so yeah.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning to convert a butterfly into a submarine.

tbone1004

what space restrictions are you concerned with where you would want a bed that short? Bobbing it is one thing, but you end up with a 12' bed I believe using the M105 bed. Also requires axle relocation and modification. If you wanted to use a m101 bed and leave the front axle where it is you would end up somewhere around an 8' bed. That requires modifications to the bed since the m101 isn't as wide as the deuce. Here is a link to what the deuce looks like with the 101 bed.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ce-with-M101-3-4-Ton-Bed-and-14-00-NDCC-Tires

You still have height and width issues to contend with, and with bobbing it, you have the expense of the bed, so that's a minimum of $500 for the bed, plus the modifications to make it wider so it doesn't look ridiculous. M105 bed 89", M101 bed 65" so it has to be widened substantially, tailgate included. Not cheap, especially if you have to pay to have it done unless you have pretty good fab skills.

Not trying to discourage you, just give you a realistic idea of how much work is involved. The deuce in that link actually looks really good to me, better than most of the bobbed deuces with the m105 beds, but it's a helluva lot more work. Other option would be to fab your own bed, which may actually be easier.

Last edited:

M35A2usmc

what space restrictions are you concerned with where you would want a bed that short? Bobbing it is one thing, but you end up with a 12' bed I believe using the M105 bed. Also requires axle relocation and modification. If you wanted to use a m101 bed and leave the front axle where it is you would end up somewhere around an 8' bed. That requires modifications to the bed since the m101 isn't as wide as the deuce. Here is a link to what the deuce looks like with the 101 bed.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ce-with-M101-3-4-Ton-Bed-and-14-00-NDCC-Tires

You still have height and width issues to contend with, and with bobbing it, you have the expense of the bed, so that's a minimum of $500 for the bed, plus the modifications to make it wider so it doesn't look ridiculous. M105 bed 89", M101 bed 65" so it has to be widened substantially, tailgate included. Not cheap, especially if you have to pay to have it done unless you have pretty good fab skills.

Not trying to discourage you, just give you a realistic idea of how much work is involved. The deuce in that link actually looks really good to me, better than most of the bobbed deuces with the m105 beds, but it's a helluva lot more work. Other option would be to fab your own bed, which may actually be easier.
Ok thanks but I just need a place to park I would like it to be my first truck. Don't worry about that I have all ready been told its kind of a bad idea.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt what you really need to do is attend a few rallys and get some experence with the deuce, the Ga rally is coming up if you can get there I will let you drive my truck and help any way I can to show you what I can and I am sure they will be others willing to help also

M35A2usmc

Matt what you really need to do is attend a few rallys and get some experence with the deuce, the Ga rally is coming up if you can get there I will let you drive my truck and help any way I can to show you what I can and I am sure they will be others willing to help also
Thanks so much for that offer I would love to take you up on that, but saddly I can't miss school even if I have a note. And I can't really shift that well I'm getting better tho. Thanks

tbone1004

bobbing a deuce isn't a bad idea. Purists don't like it, but there were so many a2's made that enough are going to be restored to original.

Having a deuce as your first vehicle is a very bad and expensive idea. Yes they can be had for cheap compared to most modern vehicles, bobbing one to plan for an 8' bed is fairly cheap, but you'll be riding around bedless until you can afford to build or buy/mod one to fit. You have lack of abs, quite important with winters up there, lack of power steering, not quite as bad, but still important if you want to drive it to school. No power steering + parking lots =he11acious arm work out, combined with the crappy turning radius and you're asking for lots of fender scratching or worse with other vehicles. It would need a full light upgrade to safely drive in modern road conditions, especially the dark winters that we get up here, you will be driving it in the dark to school.

Original question is yes it has been done, you have now seen it. It is not a bad idea, nor was it a stupid question. Though you should have searched a read a bit more, but that's neither here nor there. Good luck

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well maybe next summer you can attend something like zouts cook out or something and I will still let you get some deuce time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks