• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce vs excavator

tm america

well just got back from flipping a 40000lb excavator back onto its tracks with the deuce.it went pretty smooth only thing i broke was the last link that hold the chain to the cable so i used a clevis to hold the cable back to my truck i used two 3-4 inch cables to go over the tracks and to the center of the machine then hooked the snatch block to them .chained the truck to a tree and gave a slow pull .we put some tires down to break the fall it went over smoother than i thought

Attachments

tm america

they were putting it on the trailer and had the trailer at an angle and it was raining so it slide off the side of the trailer lucky noone got killed he jumped off as it was going over .he had a really nasty hole in is leg and arm from where he landed on the trailer ramps i seen the wounds they looked bad :roll:

tm america

it broke one of the hydro lines on the boom and crushed the hydro tank .and dumped all the oil out on the ground . but it should be an easy fix

Harold43512

APM215, we missed each other by THAT much! (Maxwell Smart reference)

I guess now it's mostly embarrassing while the operator heals up. Too bad he got hurt.

goldneagle

Is that place gonna be on the EPA Superfund sites for the ground contamination? That's a lot of hydraulic fluid in one of those beasts!

I'm glad no one got killed!

emr

Some of those beasts use 10 wt motor oil instead, alot of equipment has an alternate of 10 wt for trans and hydrolics...just an fyi, I thought is was interesting when I learned it, also the 939 series of trucks calls for 10wt in that awesome trans....and I happen to have a few 5 gal pails of 10wt military for 25 bucks ea. in Northern NJ, U may need some ! All the best glad the Human damage was only stuff that will heal, Thank God for that, We all have such misshaps...Nice that the Deuce came to the rescue for sure...!!!

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
That looks familiar,I have rolled a couple of excavators on their sides when loading and unloading them.Especially when its raining or icy.Good job,maxed out the winch?

Nonotagain

I'm going to ask before someone else that's still in the towing and recovery business asks, but why was a wrecker not used?

We all like to play with our toys, but if your chains that were securing you to the tree had broken while winching vehicle back onto it's tracks someone could have been seriously injured and further damage to the equipment would have occurred.

If you are going to rely upon chains or cables to secure your vehicle at least double them up and place a blanket over them to knock the energy out if they do break.

The first tow truck I purchased 30 plus years ago came from a friend that was almost killed while winching a car back up onto the road. The J hook slipped off and hit him in the leg removing the calf muscle and knocked him unconscious and bleeding. If not for a passer by seeing the truck and no one around and investigated he would have bleed to death.

Happy to see that everything worked out, but please be safe.

PorscheTech911

Good job winching it over. Glad no one was killed. Accidents happen and it looks like the deuce handled itself just fine. Glad to see you used your noggin not your check book :roll:

tm america

he gave me 100 bucks two clevises and a bad ace 15 ton 8 inch snatch block .seemed like a good deal to me. :roll: as far as the oil spill it was just from the motor the hydro tank was crushed but didnt get puntured.i'm pretty sure it was a jd but the panel on the side was miss that says the model number and the other side was covered in mudd from being on its side .it had a detriot deisel in

tm america

it was a good pull i put the idle up to about 1000rpm and it didnt pull the rpm down but the cable seemed really loaded once it got about 1/3 of the way up. the trailer they haul it with has three tandum axles.it looked like a 20+ton trailer and the thing was bending the ramps on it:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks