• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce vs excavator

feets

There are lots of those sink holes in central Texas. In dinosaur times that part of the country was an ocean floor. The Edwards Aquifier is under that property and runs over 180 miles. The number of caverns and underground rivers would suprise you. There's only one natural lake in Texas and it was caused by a beaver dam. The rest of the water is underground.
Did you notice that the operator's boots haven't even sunk to the soles and he's standing right beside the machine? Kinda freaky. He's an experienced operator and put up a valiant effort to avoid sinking. There are other pictures of a tree ripped out of the ground and branches shoved under the tracks. He tried pushing and pulling with the arm. It simply wasn't going to happen.
The excavator continued to sink. They used lots of duct tape and rags to seal the intake and exhaust as well as tape up the cab. When they went to free it only the top of the cab and arm were out of the mud. The machine was fairly new and in good condition. It survived the mud but will probably never be the same again.

tm america

ya that happens when you let heavy stuff sit with no bottom in sight. we have peat moss around here that is like that where we go wheeling we almost lost my buddies truck he got stuck donw to the hubs . when we got back with the strap and two other trucks it was 15 minutes later the top of the cab was only sticking out like 6-8inches ..i would love to see the recovery pics on these other ones especially that heavy dumper.i bet they dug out in front of it so it could move out under its own power cuz they are heavvyyyyyy:roll:

I guess noone ever use a hillbilly towtruck before the trackhoe in texas in the sinkhole woulda been a piece of cake. 40 ton winches no need when ya got two right there two cables and two deadmen and a little hillbilly operatorism and pressto its out in a flash.

tm america

ya that would have worked hook a cable or two to the bucket then through a couple snatch blocks to some big trees and back to the excavator and use the boom as a winch no need to get anything else stuck that way :roll:i like it doc:-D if you need more pull just add snatch more snatch blocks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ya that would have worked hook a cable or two to the bucket then through a couple snatch blocks to some big trees and back to the excavator and use the boom as a winch no need to get anything else stuck that way :roll:i like it doc:-D if you need more pull just add snatch more snatch blocks
I've tried that before but the problem is when you pull with the boom you're pulling too high on the machine. I tends to just push the front deeper while raising the back. It will work if you can rest the bucket on solid ground so you can lift the front while you pull.

I've also chained logs to the tracks to walk them out.

saddamsnightmare

December 13th, 2009.

On the subject of stuck, I've seen the Pa ANG stick a Michigan scraper bulldozer, (something like an articulated payloader with a bulldozer blade on the front end unit (2 wheels) and past the articulation an elevating scraper and the last two wheels)), then stick another one trying to pull the first one out, and two deuces stuck trying to pull the 2nd one out. The crews spent the rest of the day playing cards until the officers and a D-41 cat showed up. You always gotta have a plan "B" (and a deck of cards) to cover these problems.

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. and hook the snatch block to the base of the tree near the ground, otherwise the tree might get more involved then you wanted it to do!:-D