• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce w/ hiab 950 knuckleboom

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
At full hydraulic extension the hook height should be about 30 feet (need to measure).
I have not put together a hook mount for the manual extension yet, but it should add 5' to the total.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Another round of hoses is complete. I forgot to post a couple of steps.....
after the hose burst in May I had the six main lines replaced and the swivels that attach to them rebuilt. At which point I had issues with my fuel cutoff. After I took care of the fuel cutoff (thanks again Bjorn) I replaced six more shorter lines on the boom itself. My goal is to get my bed sorted out and then repack the remaining(3) boom cylinders and replace the last two lines which are actually inside the boom attached to one of the cylinders in question.
and then I will prep and paint the boom

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
had fun at clinto's today. A worsening leak on one of the cylinders means that as usual plans have changed. Repacking cylinders and replacing the last two hoses moves to the front of the line...

you know, the more I look athis pic, I'm thinking an m38a1 tree house would be kinda cool.

Attachments

Mark2X2

BFR,
Nice job on the truck & crane. Would you mind a couple FNG questions? What size tires are on your truck? And it looks like you turned your hubs around, how big of a job was that? Your pictures are the best I've seen of the truck it's self.
Thanks,
Mark

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
BFR,
Nice job on the truck & crane. Would you mind a couple FNG questions? What size tires are on your truck? And it looks like you turned your hubs around, how big of a job was that? Your pictures are the best I've seen of the truck it's self.
Thanks,
Mark
Tires are 1100 20 on m34/m135 rims with the rear hubs flipped. Flipping the
hubs isn't very complicated and would add very little time to an inspection/repacking of the bearings.
the hub flip is documented here
M35 DUALS TO SINGLES CONVERSION

Mark2X2

BFR,
Thanks for the info on the tires and hub flip. My truck is a M35A2 WO/W. Been debating what to do with the truck, was going to bobbed it then add a dump bed. Your crane set up has me thinking 1100 20 singled with a crane looks good. I've looked at all your pictures in this thread. One thing I didn't see was a picture of PTO set up and pump. Would you mind posting a couple.
Thanks Again,
Mark

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Please note that none of what I have done is particularly original. I'm just a newbie compared to cranetruck and miltruckman.
where I started
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/9547-truck-progression.html

the transfer case PTO
there are (at least) three different types of output for tha pto. a flange (what I have) a sprocket (what was used on the pipeline deuce) and a yoke (from the tanker trucks?)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/32105-transfer-case-pto-output.html

my hydraulic pump is suspended from the cross member right behind the transfer case. the bottom of the pump/bracket is even with the parking brake drum . I'll get some pics later on.

forgive the terrible paint image

Attachments

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
aua:soapbox:
today I drove 100 miles each way to get a seal kit (for the outriggers)from HIAB. I confirmed over the phone that the number was the right one before I left. I got there and it wan't even close to the right size.

Capt.Marion

Voice of experience:
Numbers mean nothing. Could be a same number, from a different generation, or from a different series of crane. Hopefully you will be able to acquire the correct one.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
update:
At this point all cylinders have been rebuilt, all hoses replaced. all pins inspected(they were fine)
I used it this morning to reposition the pipeline bed for disassembly. Other than having to re-rig it to find a balance I liked, no problems.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks