• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce w/ hiab 950 knuckleboom

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I like these knuckleboom truck threads! I keep daydreaming that I ought to sell off my tired old M543A2 and my last remaining deuce (an M35A2C), and replace the pair of them with a newer truck + knuckleboom. Maybe an M35A3 or M923A2?

Thanks for mentioning that you used a skid-steer's hydraulic system to run the crane initially. I'm not sure if I would have thought of that. I have a Bobcat with an auxiliary hydraulic hookup on the front. I previously assumed that I couldn't possibly trade away my wrecker before installing a knuckleboom on another truck, but now I see that I already have a way to power a knuckleboom so it can help install itself!

res0wc18

that is awesome. They want a fortune for a knuckle crane with half that capacity up here! found a "cheap" one for 4500 bucks, thats more than the entire truck!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
random update... I weighed the truck with the crane in the stowed position today. Empty but carrying my normal assortment of tools, spare, rigging (a couple of hundred pounds), me and about half a tank of fuel the truck weighed 18040 lbs with 8240 lbs on the front axle and 9800 lbs on the rear. This was with the spare and rigging at the front edge of the bed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
random update... I weighed the truck with the crane in the stowed position today. Empty but carrying my normal assortment of tools, spare, rigging (a couple of hundred pounds), me and about half a tank of fuel the truck weighed 18040 lbs with 8240 lbs on the front axle and 9800 lbs on the rear. This was with the spare and rigging at the front edge of the bed.
That's why I always stow the crane over the bed, knocks about 1,000 lb off the front axle load.
It's not easy to steer with 8,000 plus lb on the front axle. :)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Nice touch with the yellow highlighting! Will you be adding "extension" markings?
I thought it went well with some of the seabee paint on the pipeline bed. I have been thinking about the markings, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Joel, why didn't you paint the base? Or an upcoming project?
I will be painting the base, but just didn't have time to get it clean/prepped this time around.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rock on BFR! It looks great. And the seats are comfy. :D