• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce wheel stud

o1951

Thanks man, but yeah I bought the 78:1 ratio one, they were out of the 58:1. I checked the website and all I saw was there new "half back" method of tightening your lugs. I reckon I'll email him and find out for sure.
BUT - Like it says, that method only gets you tight enough to get to nearest service station. It does not establish anything near correct torque.
Before I did that, I would use the previously described method of standing on the bar. Know your weight, measure and mark the bar, and that should get you in the acceptable torque range.

Woodsplinter

I'm not an engineer but I think if you know the gear ratio and the input torque (via a torque wrench), you can calculate the output torque? Any engineers out there?

Clearly the value of this tool is in loosening hard-to-loosen lug nuts which it does very well.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multiply the torque wrench reading by the gear wrench ratio. That does not take into account friction so people are hesitant to tell you to do it this way since it will take away from the output torque value. But, it would probably be equivalent in accuracy to the half-back method. The best way is a known weight at a known distance from the stud centerline. In fact, that is the way they calibrate torque wrenches. Fairly easy and cheap too.

peashooter

Thanks guys I reckon I'll use the standing on the bar method. I had a extra torque wrench, that's why I asked.
The bar method is probably the safer bet. Besides all the unknowns with the friction loss etc of the torque multiplier, you have the torque wrench unknowns as well. Say you have a spare cheapo torque wrench like a Harborfreight one or the likes. They CLAIM a +/- 4% accuracy, you still multiply the error of your torque wrench by 58x or 78x depending on which model you have. The torque multipliers are great for removing the nuts, but going with the standing bar method to tighten is probably wiser as you mentioned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks