• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wipers

stumps

What is the advantage to these electric wipers? I like the air ones myself.
1) they work
2) they don't leak or require much service
3) they take standard truck wiper blades
4) they park reliably
5) they are very powerful
6) they are quiet (How can you tell?)
7) they can't take out your brakes boost when they fail.

-Chuck

Kjb2007

Banned
does anyone know what WIRE that the power wire on the electric wipers is tapped into. i tried to install a set of electric wipers i got and i dont get nothing outta the wipers. I cant seem to find a power wire to tap into to get the power i need for. Havent had time to go threw it with a volt meter and trace each plug.

JAYHAWK 1962

Hey recovery what are the napa upgrade wipers?? a kit to change the blades to something cheaper and easier to get than the military ones?? part # please if you have it thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the manual override with the air powered units. I too like the air powered ones, which also can be had with "Park", if the Sprague brand "Air push" motors are used (m656/xm757 ca 1969).

Divemaster920

Banned
does anyone know what WIRE that the power wire on the electric wipers is tapped into. i tried to install a set of electric wipers i got and i dont get nothing outta the wipers. I cant seem to find a power wire to tap into to get the power i need for. Havent had time to go threw it with a volt meter and trace each plug.

Wire #27

DUECE-COUPE

I put a splitter on the relay under the the dash and hooked it up there. works great and you get to keep the electrical system weather proof

GoHot229

Again thanks to all. desertfox you must be looking for the arms, pivots ans outer stuff ? the motor is sealed on mine, like it was dipped in some sort of hardening agent kind of like the rubberize you dip tool handels in to make them safe for electrical and better grip, you know that stuff, yellow usually. However mine is black, so it dosent look to be able to take it apart...??? Divemaster, I'm hoping to get that much too. The way Recovery4x4 is telling, it sounds that the air are superior really, it sounds like actually the better unit, (unit's). Thanks a heap to all you guys, and a special thanks to Divemaster & Speddmon for the great info. Rich
I'm hopeing this will help others wondering why their wipers just don't seem to work right, and the decision to go electric or air wipers. It seems to my that air is the way to go, but (unfortunatly, fortunatly?) mine came with the electric as I said, from Camp LaJune that way.
Oop's, I missread Stumps post, so there's pros and cons.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to go with Kenny and Bjorn. I like the air. To me the electric motor looks like it doesn't belong there and was an afterthought (accually it was :-D). Sure they sound loud if the engine isn't running but the engine does a pretty good job of covering up the noise while going down the road. Never had trouble parking them either. I don't even go to the trouble to push the park button, I just reach up and grap the manual lever and swing it over.

If I had a truck that came with electric wipers I'd probably keep them but I'm not ready to swap out my air ones yet.

BugEyeBear

Back to the original Q......

You are either getting insufficient travel of the inside horizontal bar, OR this horizontal travel is not being converted to provide sufficient angular travel of the wiper arm.

Insufficient travel of the inside horizontal bar would tend to suggest that the 1st short arm at the motor is either too short or is mispositioned (or perhaps even a combination of both).
I can't remember if this short arm at the motor rotates or oscillates.
-If this short arm has rotating motion, a longer arm at the motor will increase the travel of the horizontal bar.
-If this short arm has oscillating motion, you'll need to examine the angular position of this arm. It should be roughly vertical at mid-stroke (& roughly perpendicular to the horizontal arm at mid-stroke), thus providing the maximum horizontal motion to the horizontal bar for a given short arm length. Beyond this, a longer short arm at the motor will increase the horizontal travel of the horizontal bar.

IF the horizontal bar has sufficient travel, but the wiper arm still has insufficient angular travel this would tend to suggest that the inside short arm at the wiper is too long, OR is mispositioned (or perhaps both)
Making this arm shorter will typically increase your angular travel of the wiper arm.
But be certain that this short arm is installed roughly perpendicular to the horizontal arm at mid-stroke.
Correct installed postions will maximize the conversion of horizontal travel (of the horizontal arm) to angular travel of the wiper arm. Beyond that, a shorter short arm at the wiper arm will increase the wiper arm's angular travel.

I'm guessing that some of your parts (the short arms either at the motor or at the wiper) were installed wrong, or perhaps were swapped.

CAN YOU POST PICTURES of your particular installation, showing all of the internal arms, on BOTH the driver's side & the Pass side, AND at the motor?
I'll bet that with a few pictures the solution will be obvious!
ALSO it would help if you can confirm either Oscillating motion OR Rotating motion of the short arm at the wiper motor.
(i.e. Does the short arm at the motor do a full revolution? OR does it swing back & forth?

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

OH, & on the topic of Electric Wipers VS Air Wipers??

Most people who have the Electric Wipers simply LOVE THEM!

I have Electric Wipers on my M35, but I have Air Wipers on my XM211, & on my M38-A1, & on my M715. Some of these Air Wipers are vacuum operated (M715 & M38-A1) and thereby they suffer from speed slowdowns during engine acceleration. But the Air Wipers that are supplied by the Air Pump (XM211) are more reliable and predictable.

Overall I prefer the Electric Wipers because they are easy to use & take very little maintenance.
But the Air Wipers are OK for the small amount of wet-weather driving I do in these vehicles.
But I think I'd upgrade these to Electrics IF I did a lot of wet-weather driving.

That's my 2 cents! 2cents

GoHot229

It was a hectic day yesterday, so I failed to be able to mess with it. Today however looks good for the maint. I'll post pictures as they now reside in their position for visual analasis, and will attempt to discover if the arms are installed backwards. I will take pics. along the way, so if I suceed in rectifing the problem we all will have proof of incorrect instalation and avoid the same mistake.
mmmmmK ... the drivers side is about 12 and just an n'th, the passenger side is 14 and an n'th long

Last edited:

mckeeranger

OH, & on the topic of Electric Wipers VS Air Wipers??

Most people who have the Electric Wipers simply LOVE THEM!

I have Electric Wipers on my M35, but I have Air Wipers on my XM211, & on my M38-A1, & on my M715. Some of these Air Wipers are vacuum operated (M715 & M38-A1) and thereby they suffer from speed slowdowns during engine acceleration. But the Air Wipers that are supplied by the Air Pump (XM211) are more reliable and predictable.

Overall I prefer the Electric Wipers because they are easy to use & take very little maintenance.
But the Air Wipers are OK for the small amount of wet-weather driving I do in these vehicles.
But I think I'd upgrade these to Electrics IF I did a lot of wet-weather driving.

That's my 2 cents! 2cents
I'm wondering if the 24 volt electric conversions for the M38A1 would work on the M35. It would take 2, but that's fine with me. It would work like a modern wiper but look more original. It would also allow the windshields to open independently.

That is if the stem size is small enough for the narrow windshield on the M35.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Kenny,
Can't get those wiper arms at NAPA anymore. Sucks too, I was driving in the rain last night and wanted to do this upgrade, found it, read the article, got excited. I just called my local guy for the parts. No longer carried... Figures... :evil:
While at work today, I went by the neighborhood NAPA. I asked the guy about the 60-750 wiper arms. Without even looking it up, he described it to me. Checked the catalog and confirmed that they were discontinued around a year ago. Asked about a cross reference, no help. All they could tell me was DISCONTINUED. Tonight on my way home I went by the local and pretty new NAPA. The one counter guy there musta worked at another NAPA for a while. Explained my problem and he too confirmed that they were disco-ed. He beat the keys a little while and found one in another state then said he could get me 6 out of Brownsville TX. He was surprised when I told him to get them. So as it looks, I'll have 6 on the way if the inventory was correct. He also said they were Trico arms and just because NAPA disco-ed them, doesn't mean Trico did. I'm on the case and will report my findings when I find them.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While at work today, I went by the neighborhood NAPA. I asked the guy about the 60-750 wiper arms. Without even looking it up, he described it to me. Checked the catalog and confirmed that they were discontinued around a year ago. Asked about a cross reference, no help. All they could tell me was DISCONTINUED. Tonight on my way home I went by the local and pretty new NAPA. The one counter guy there musta worked at another NAPA for a while. Explained my problem and he too confirmed that they were disco-ed. He beat the keys a little while and found one in another state then said he could get me 6 out of Brownsville TX. He was surprised when I told him to get them. So as it looks, I'll have 6 on the way if the inventory was correct. He also said they were Trico arms and just because NAPA disco-ed them, doesn't mean Trico did. I'm on the case and will report my findings when I find them.

U R the man Kenny!

GoHot229

Outstanding Recovery4x4 kinda like Lays potato chips huh...
Just surfing the net I came across these arms @ 10" and 14" You can see that they would fit conventional blades or just the use of the piece from the blade-catch and the screw might be used on our wiper arms. These are marine use ie. boats, but may make retrofiting newer blades possable
www.westmarine.com Heres a pic, looks promising mabe. This picture indicates two sizes, both 10" and 14"
Note: type in WIPER ARMS or WIPER BLADES in their SEARCH box and go from there
So, I'm gathering that stock wiper blades are pretty rare or unavailable now?? Is that true??

Attachments

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that the stock blades or arms are not availible, just that they SUCK. The problem you would have with just slapping any old arm on is the knurled knob that fits the shaft. If you could find some of those, then you could use almost any arm. the Napa kits came with those Knobs...

GoHot229

I see.... still I was thinking that you see the top right part of the picture.... as it uses a screw to hold on the end that a conventional blade clips/fits to..... it might work, my arms have such a screw end. If its a case of just the wiper 'blade' availability, I'm thinking this would solve the problem. Though its likely you would gain an inch, and 1" would likely not hit the frame, but JUST.... or the other thing you could do in this circumstance is to drill the hole in the end of the arm, replaceing the location of the existing hole, thus drilling it 1" inboard of the existing hole. Try to picture....., were not useing the arm per~se, rather the tip that is screwed on. The arm is sacrifical, we only need the tip. However....If the shaft splines and diameter match, all the better, we could use the whole assembly. What I'm suggesting is a (ADAPTER) of sorts, ie. old arm/w adapter ... new modern blade to fit the adapter
I'm also gathering as you say "not that the stock blades or arms are not available, just that they SUCK" I don't know if mine are the exception or just what is going on but I have had great service from my (blades) with neither streaks, chatter or deterioration, they seem to me to be excelent in their functioning, but rather I am working on adjusting the sweep in my particular Deuce, hence....this thread. Bear with me, I'm only 1 year into the Deuce experiance and learning daily, mostly from all of you guys on the forum

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks