• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wipers

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I know is every set of original wipers I've had on all my deuces, even with properly adjusted arms and brand new blades, I felt the wipers hardly worked at all. If I am driving and get into a moderate storm, I pull over, because I just can't see. I don't thing the arms put enough force on the blades, and the blates are straight, so you may get a clean sweap, but it is only 2 inch high and at chest level.

I need to upgrade them, and if it takes getting an electric kit to do it, so be it. But I feel with new arms and modern blades, the air will work fine.

goldneagle

All I know is every set of original wipers I've had on all my deuces, even with properly adjusted arms and brand new blades, I felt the wipers hardly worked at all. If I am driving and get into a moderate storm, I pull over, because I just can't see. I don't thing the arms put enough force on the blades, and the blates are straight, so you may get a clean sweap, but it is only 2 inch high and at chest level.

I need to upgrade them, and if it takes getting an electric kit to do it, so be it. But I feel with new arms and modern blades, the air will work fine.
I have to agree with you. The wipers suck during any descent rain. They don't wipe the entire area that they sweep. They only make partial contact with the window. THis is with brand new wiper blades!

I would love to do the electric conversion. If anyone finds a cheap source for them PM me.

Attachments

Marcel

Okay, last week I installed electric wipers on my 5 ton (same as a deuce). The package that I bought is the complete installation kit from the military. It comes with all the parts and assembly blueprints to install electric windshield wipers. There are two types of kits out there and mine comes with the motor mounted in the center of the windshield frame with two arms extending to the idler shaft housing assemblies. The conlink assembly, LH ( drivers side) is 13.75" long and the conlink assembly, RH (passenger side) is 15.88" long. These measurements are from the stud to the centerline of the bushing. If you have any more problems contact me and I will send you copies of the assembly blueprints.

Marcel

Wiper Kit.

I have to agree with you. The wipers suck during any descent rain. They don't wipe the entire area that they sweep. They only make partial contact with the window. THis is with brand new wiper blades!

I would love to do the electric conversion. If anyone finds a cheap source for them PM me.

I bought mine from 72cj5. Perhaps he has another kit or knows where you can purchase one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done the 60-750 conversion before and it makes a night and day difference. The cheesy spring assy on the mil arm just doesn't put enough pressure on the blade. I only did one side on my M275A2 anc complained loudly about the price but the trip to Aberdeen in the rain sure changed my attitude. The answer to the stock system is new arms with regular type blades. You can even modify the 60-750 arms to run 13" blades.

stumps

I have to agree with you. The wipers suck during any descent rain. They don't wipe the entire area that they sweep. They only make partial contact with the window. This is with brand new wiper blades!
A flat window is as easy as it comes as far as wipers go. First you need to check to see that there is no binding in your wiper arm as it moves to and from your windshield. That must be absolutely free, save for the spring tension. Next, you need to make sure that the rubber blade is freely supported in the wiper blade. No binding, no lumps no bumps. It must lay flat. The electric wipers have a rubber blade that is arrow shaped in cross section, and is clamped into the wiper blade. It too must be flat and straight.

If after you have determined that the blade is moving freely, and you still have contact problems, it is time to replace the spring that holds the wiper to the windshield.

-Chuck

GoHot229

Well ultimatly I read through everything, checked what I have against suggestions and pictures you guys gave, and this is what I finally did.....I re-drilled the arm after taking the arm assembly out of the through-windshield mount. It drilled easy enough with a small pilot hole first. When I re-assembled it, I gained some little bit of travel, I think I still need to shorten the rod/bolt/nut piece a fiew threads and trade more outer side travel for loss of some inner side travel. At any rate it's now better than it was by about an inch and a half to two inches on total sweep. Sorry to take so long, but between cutting firewood, helping the oldsters around here and the usual obligations, it took a bit more time than expected. But in time for any upcoming weather which seems to be around this time of year in NC.
It had occured to me, as it probably did to you, that reducing the leverage by re-drilling the mount for the inside ball/socket might be detremental and mabe not have enough to power through snow. Well to tell the truth , I havent seen any snow this year, and hope not to, but the rpm of the motor hasn't canged any from before, pulling through heavy rain, with the modifications done, in other words it sounds the same, not drug down any.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks