• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, at first I was going to say no but now I wonder after seeing all the crud that sticks to magnets. This tank I'm using will be Ok for now, the other one might get sacrificed. The wrecker has one air tank in the frame and one outside the frame where the spare goes on cargo trucks. I'm not ver seriously considering moving that air tank to the rear of the truck and adding a second tank. I have no idea why but the thought has crossed my mind. Here's a little cursory view of how they doubled the rear frame.
Also in view just above the rail on the left side of the pic is the Mico Brake Lock solenoid that was factory on these truck. It still clicks so it might work.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also in view just above the rail on the left side of the pic is the Mico Brake Lock solenoid that was factory on these truck. It still clicks so it might work.
Is that like a line lock for drag cars? So the operator can maneuver the crane without the parking brake set?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Elwenil

Yeah a Mico lock works a lot like a line lock, only Mico locks are typically for a heavier duty cycle with longer periods of use. Most of the common Mico locks are manual fior civilian vehicles.

As far as the rust and magnet bit, I think as long as the rust still has a little true iron that hasn't been converted to iron oxide then it may work. True, 100% rust shouldn't stick to a magnet. Don;t ask how I know this. all I'll say is it relates to a certain "Cookbook" and thermite experiments.

There, that should get me on a few watch lists again, lol...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today its a cool 71°. Was able to install the new master cylinder and replace the broken bracket for the back of the air pack. Not much else accomplished today. Maybe a little more tomorrow. I've gotten far enough so that the engine can be installed. More later.

rmgill

What about a shop vac down inside? To get the areas behind the baffles just hit them with air.
You should be able to get two areas clean (inside the fuel filler neck) and in the main part (pull the fuel pump).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The baffles have 3 inch dia (approx) holes in them and you can't get a shop vac nozzle through when working through the pump opening.
If the tank was very rusty on the inside, I'd cut an access hole from the top (which I did for the extra pump etc) and clean/rinse it through it. I dropped a chain into the tank and rolled it over and over to rub the rust loose. The area between the filler neck and the tank walls are very hard to reach.
An inside coating of some sort would be best if the coverage is 100%.
The capacity of the in-tank pump is such that it produces 1/2 gallon/minute return flow at idle, so it doesn't take long to filter the entire content of the tank.
With all the rinsing I did (using biodiesel), I got most of the fine crud out, of course it only took a few flakes to upset the particular valves I was using (see the heated fuel tank thread).
The primary filter traps this debris, so it never gets to the other filters or the IP.
The pump doesn't seem to be bothered by the tiny rust flakes, so Kenny should be ok, just be alert for reduced fuel flow symptoms when the primary filter begins to get glogged.
I'll be using two primary filters, one for each tank, and plumbing the valves downstream from them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the wire brush for areas I could reach. I did the shop vac too. I think the second tank will be just fine but if not, I'll shop for a shop or acid wash it myself then seal it with products from Eastwood.

Crazyguyla

Here's a novel idea.. how about using pea gravel to shake up inside the tank to loosen the rust and bring it back down to steel?? We used to do it that way to clean out pot belly stoves after they sat around all summer rusting up. Made a nice noiser that drove our SGT up the wall LOL Life as a Private, those were the simpler times..

Before someone says something about coating the them with oil to prevent rust.. It was the early 90's and everyone was running scared of the EPA and paractice of using dry cleaning solvent to clean everything and coating stuff with oil was taboo... excapt for weapons.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats an idea. I was going to also try BBs but haven't yet. My biggest thing is sloshing all that stuff around in this somewhat heavy and bulky tank. As for pea gravel, we don't see much of that in FL. What we have might actually even be better. They call it p-rock and is similar is size to pea gravel but looks like miniature 57 limestone. At any rate it's an idea worth trying.

rdixiemiller

Kenny
Take your tank and put in about 30# of marble chips (from a landscape supply). Now, turn the kids loose and make them roll the tank around the yard 300 revolutions. Dump out marble. Wash out tank.
Easier: Take the tank to a radiator shop that does large truck radiators. Their tank should be large enough to boil out the tank.
A mild solution of muriatic acid will work to eat out the rust. However, if there are any pits, it may pinhole your tank out.
I have hot tanked quite a few truck tanks over the years. My friendly automotive machine shop had a tank big enough for a 6-71 Detroit. He used to charge me $20 to vat a step tank off a dump truck. We would clean the tank out thoroughly with soapy water afterwards. The tank would be nice and clean, inside and out. All we had to do was spray on a fresh coat of paint when we were done.

jrosbo

Engine

What are you going to do with the old engine? If you would be interested I might buy some of the old parts off of it to help fund your project. I have two of the gas engines and I am always stocking up on parts just in case. Thanks Joe.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was easier for us to install the engine where the truck sits rather than move the truck. It went very smooth. We actually did lots of stuff today including the task of getting the poles off the bed. The pins were rusted fast. Was able to get one out, the other had to be chopped with the sawzall. 2 cuts through 1 1/2 thick solid round steel. Whew, my arms still hurt. Here's another random shot.

Attachments

Longhunter7

Hard Water?

Kenny,

Nice pictures! Thanks for keeping us all posted with the progress and pictures!

Did it get a tad cool down there lately? :twisted:

It broke a record up here today, it got all the way up to 61 degrees! :jumpin: