• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker Engine Swap

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, where there is a will, there is a way. That dash is cool looking. Now here's the 18 February update. I finished with the temporary wiring harness and put 5 1/2 gallons of Rotella in. Put 10 gallons of diesel fuel in the tank and hit the power switch. The lift pump roared to life. Out to the secondary/final filter asst I go to open it up. cracked the petcock, turned the power on and nothing. Not even a whisp of air escaping. Went to the primary and opened that up, nothing at all. Even tried to pressurize the tank with negative results. Cracked the line right at the lift pump and hit the juice and got fuel everwhere. Left that line off and went back to the primary and took off the inlet line there. Blwe that line out and all kinds of spooge flew out. Problem found. Put everything back together and bled the system at the final. Set up the video camera and gave it a whirl. First crank yielded nothing, second crank and the multi fired and went right to idle. It doesn't miss a lick. Hit the clutch and put it in gear. Heck, the truck even moves under its own power. Tried the crane as well, engaged the PTO and climbed up on the deck. As expected, the crane moves in every direction without complaint. Got that on video too. Looks like I've got me an M108A2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, Bjorn, yes, yes and an additional yes. I do have a pump connector you can have. You can have the data plate from the 756 and I have a title to the truck too. Lemme know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm surely sporting a grin. I'm so tickled its funny. Still got lots to do but I would say the swap is 90% complete. It might get fenders tomorrow after church.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenneth,
You wouldn't have the measurements of the engine would you? And/or the weight of the engine?

Considering a truly bizarre engine swap. But before I take step one, I have to know those two things. Over all dimensions and the weight. I figure the weight will be the 'killer' in this wacko dream.

Thx. jim

Longhunter7

COOL!

IT LIVES!

Kenny, congratulations on the transplant!

Wasen't there a movie made about a big guy with bolts sticking out of his head? :wink:

Maybe you should have some bolts sticking out of the hood!? rofl

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Kenny! Great job!

Here he is, grinning. :)
Couldn't resist and thanks for the tag and connector (don't need the title). Guess I have to make another trip now, he he he.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys! I'm still all grins. I've certainly found some pretty decent hydraulic leaks but I'll fix them one at a time. It's all downhill from here I believe. All the heavy and hard work is done. Jim, the Multi weighs about 1650#. Tell me what dimensions you want and I'll stretch out the tape.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil sure looks clean. I will check the level before next operation. Of all things, the new engine stop cable that I've had forever broke the first day. It wasn't original anyway, POS

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rock on, Kenny, you've made great time with your project [thumbzup]