• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diablo Build Update (pics)

Boelt63A

I didn't say you take to many pictures of parts!! I said I'd like to see how everything is coming together with a picutre of the whole truck. And yes I am picky, I think you even called me prissy at one point.

devilman96

Yeah but I am still not happy with it... but I am also not going to mess with it right now as I am a little annoyed with the experience.

I removed the pump and measured the backspacing and gear engagement depth... as it was the driven gear was only meshing with about 1/3 of its surface to the drive gear. I shimmed it about 3/16 of an inch which got me full engagement. Though it is CONSIDERABLY quieter I am still not happy with it so I may end up pulling and changing the driven gear for another. Before I go through all of that I would like to take it to a hydraulics shop and have the PSI tested on the relief valves. I am matching with the gear and pump both being 1500 psi but I want them to verify what I have going on (I simply don't have the flow and PSI gauges to do it)... Its possible that I have a hyd problem that is causing the pressure to serge and would cause the pump to chatter.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting following this project along. Kind of an incentive to get my own truck cleaned up, it's a bit of a mess after all that veggie oil.

Question on your valves, are they automatically vented when switched off?

I'll be scheduling a visit to your place on my next trip South. :)

devilman96

For those whom are wondering... yes... im being lazy this week!

Got the doors remounted... Fun that was... I had to remove the hinges a few times and crush the thickness down on them to get the doors properly aligned, if there is such a thing on a deuce!!!

Window motors are in, the mock up on these made the final assembly a breeze!!! I am working on the door poppers which there are a few pics of... Notice the size of them, I didn't go cheap because I know these will need LOTS of pull over time. Also notice the hat section they are mounted it to allow for the window to clear them. Additionally the latch mounting holes were re tapped for 1/4-20 and then lock nutted from the rear to keep them from working loose. These poppers are not in any way gentle when they pull!!!

The dash is about finished... Something on the truck had to be fancy so I went with a 2 stage black which was wet sanded and buffed out... To hold down reflection and add depth to it I satin finished the top edge and the recess around the gauge panel. I want to re-do some of the things such as the grab bar which I had on the other dash to make the look blend more but otherwise its ready to install.

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Nice hose machine! I got the same unit and cabinet too....wait a minute, or is that MINE! I like to make er beller on the 1 1/4" six wire stuff

where did you get those switches? i happen to have boxes of them but not the one i need and they all have red lights....grrr

devilman96

Napa... Echlin carries the switches, pending the part number some have mutable covers and a removal tool with them so you can swap them out. I have seen them sell for as high as 38$ a pop but I would say the average cost at Napa was about 14$ which is not bad for a waterproof switch. Nice part is once you cut the opening you can swap single throw switches for double throw later on as you add stuff.

devilman96

Nope im not dead!! Just busy the past few weeks...

I am FINALLY getting to a close in wiring this pain in the arse up... Its looking like a NASA experiment gone horribly wrong but will clean up a good bit just before the dash gets back in place... AC ducts are in... Tons of cabling in the rear for the amplifiers... Carpet is going in... Back board for mounting the amps and hiding the wiring... Getting interesting!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bet it doesn't have a central vacuum system to keep that carpet clean! I can see it now, I'll get my tractor stuck in the mud and need to call Mike to free it. Since his truck will get all muddy I'll have to pay him with Stanley Steemer gift certificates to bring his carpet back from the mud. On the other hand, now that it has carpet, he can sweep things under it.

devilman96

Ah.... I love it when things kinda move along!!!

I got the amps wired in today... I can not mount my subwoofers until I put my dash in (maybe tomorrow) but all of the mid and high range speakers are in (12 total)... I hooked my head unit up just to give it a test drive... All of that crammed into that little cab is dealing and my ears are ringing like mad right now but *happy me*...

One thing I have been scheming on through out the build was being able to mount at least 2 guns out of the way in the cab, I have room for 3 as the one is pictured but I think I will just turn 2 sideways and save the room for the center console.

Some other things I've done over the past few weeks...

The run solenoid I ended up going with. Works off of the ignition so it engages in start and run and shuts the engine off when the key is turned off... Its a nice detail to have with the steering column.

With the windshield mods I was able to go up one size on the wiper arms normal used for the deuce aftermarket kits, this allowed me to go up to 13" wiper blades...

Lastly is the washer bottle which also works off of the steering column controls...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In case all y'all haven't noticed, Mike has taken the housings off his amps and powercoated them OD. There are so many little doodads on this truck it will take 5 or 6 visits looking at it to find them all. Wait 'till you see the little cluster of hidden idiot lights. At the rate your going Mike, I look to see you up here in a few weeks.

devilman96

Well ... negative one on the OD green amps... *sigh*... I was using a cross over that was given to me (knew better but used it anyways) and when I hooked the subs up today one of the amps went pop so I will be buying another one.... Thats what happens when ya try to save 50$... you end up spending $300.

On to the good stuff...

I got the sub boxes covered today and got to test those out on a another amp I had... Not to shabby for being underpowered.

The dash is in... and of course needs to come back out... some goober forgot that 4 of the door hinge bolts go through the dash... I can chalk it up as a test fit I guess.... Looks good though... talk about one dark cab!!! Tinting the windows is really going to make it look like a cave!

I got to fire up the AC blower today for the first time... wow... talk about some air flow high is like a wind tunnel... I think one of the 3 vents will go to the floor rather than facing all 3 out into the cab... Its to much.

A nice side effect of all of this installation... the cab keeps getting quieter... and quieter... and quieter...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks