• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diablo Build Update (pics)

devilman96

I was looking at your grill... and didn't know what you were planning.

I threw some perf metal under the grille guard to protect and hide the radiator. Just bent it around the sheet metal on each side to hold it in.
Thus far the biggest threat to my radiator would be myself trying to fit to much krap around it!!! lol Good idea though!

Well I opted for the front end rebuild this weekend... I have the axle finished and waiting for paint as I take a breather... Its taken 8 hours of steady work to get it all done but that includes the brakes too.

I did make a rear support for the AC compressor... and am slowly getting to the alternator adjuster bracket too... Inches away from being a whole truck but 99% of this stuff I am doing is the list of things I have ether been avoiding, didn't feel motivated towards, or am simply stumped for good ideas... *sigh*... I need a vacation!

I will get some pics up of the bracket and front end before I put it back under the truck tomorrow...

devilman96

Some pics... Might not look like a heap of work happened but I am DEAD from this weekend!

First pic is of the rear AC compressor support... just something to cut down on the vibration.

Ok axle is back in *ugh*... That thing had more funk growing in it!!! New bearings, seals, brakes, lines, hoses, bushings, blah, blah, blah... Good for another 20 years (I hope).

The thing I am more excited about is the alternator adjuster bracket!!! I've avoided this forever just because it was not one of those easy things to whip up! TO compare... it took about the same ammount of time to build this as it did to rebuild the front axle! None the less I don't think it turned out to shabby... I will finish the welds, cut off some excess metal, grind the edges, bb's, etc and powder coat it tomorrow.

Things are looking good for getting the fender back on and actually DRIVING IT for a change.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.. yew sure got a prurty alternator bracket.. I can see how it must have took a day to make it. Nice curves! It looks very space age. Have you considered punching round holes in the vertical sections, large near the kompressor, and getting smaller near the tip?

JRBAMATEX

Devilman96,

This has been one of my favorite posts and projects to track. I have really been amazed at what you have been capable of doing. You are obviously very talented as I am sure anyone would agree with. The time that a project like this would take is what is so impressive. How do you get so much done? I have been excited to see what it is al going to be when you finish but I must admit I will be a little bummed out because the saga will have come to an end. Anyway, thanks for all the pics and the unlimited list of ideas.

JR

bottleworks

That is one hefty bracket. Nicely built! Nuclear blast rated? hehe. Did you plumb the compressor intake or is that stock? Mine just takes in unfiltered at right off the side of the compressor.

JDToumanian

Wow. [thumbzup]

If I had half your talent I'd strut around like I was king, and if I had half your motivation all my projects would be complete... I can hardly wait to see it done!

Jon

devilman96

Thanks again guys... I guess do not think of what I do as that hard or myself as that talented... or motivated (man I've got you fooled on that part especially lol)!!!

One of my reasons for "choosing" a Deuce was that they are inexpensive... large with room to work... a solid platform to build from... and cheap as all get out to buy parts for. 98% of this stuff you could pull of in a little work shop and with out much tooling or fancy machines. My lathe is an added bonus but I spent years with out one of those... My mill I have hardly fired up on this project. A decent welder... torches... general tools... drill press... bench grinder and a few oods and ends is about all I have used for a vast majority of the work... Some things like the up coming sheet metal I don't do here... I "borrow" a sheet metal shop for, it could be done by hand but would take 5 times as long.

As for speed... lol I don't see it... I expected this to be done 3 months ago but I guess some of the changes to the build have put a real hicky in the time line... The tilt steering was easy but making the rest of the switches and the likes work was not so... Changes or added things kinda ate into what I was trying to accomplish but in the end I think the over all quality makes up for it.... and openly... I cheat a lot when it comes to motivation... the amount of sugar, caffeine, cola, red bull, etc I consume on some days is prolly about lethal. Its not a "norm" for me but It works well for kicking ones self in the arse to move faster for longer... but believe me... it comes at a price to your heath and I have felt it here and there and my body will be much happier when I get this thing outta my hair It sucks that I didn't have this knowledge in my head at 19... I could have taken over the world by now!! lol

Otherwise... its mostly fake it until ya make it work... Sometimes it cost ya a few dollars to make that happen but over all I've been lucky. Most of these ideas and such came from you guys... Before I bought the truck I kept reading post after post about making this... doing that... changing this... adding that... Some of which happened... and some didn't... Not that my motivation was to "impress" the world of MV's but there had been a certain giggle to doing things that many have "talked" about but never done... and what really lights my arse up is when someone says it cant be done... or would not work... LOL those are the tasks I look forward to pulling out of the hat... I think thats a healthy since of accomplishment more so than a "ha, Im a Deuce god"...

Spend some time on GL looking at the tooling and machines they sell (yes they sell more than OD green equipment!!!)... Most of my "larger" tools I've bought in recent years came from there and just like the MV's... ya fix em up a bit and they will last you forever.

TheBuggyman

I just wanted to say that I usually do not comment/give praise on alot of projects but I really must say that you are doing a first class job. I do not have the patience for the details like you do and I wanted to tell you that it puts your work head and shoulders above the rest. 8)

devilman96

I have christen thee many many wonderful names... most of which would make a few persons upset if I started listing them off!!! lol

Well... Here we go...

I took the beast out for a quick drive around the neighborhood tonight after securing much of my wiring, hoses and the likes as a preparation for sticking the fender on... I think the idea was... if its going to break... do it now!!!! Yeah I know it never works that way! All and all things seem good, temp, oil, brakes, no knocking and banging and nothing fell off... The irony / humor is the neighborhood in which the shop is located... Million dollar homes... yeah it was special!

After the joy ride of testing I hit another wall... *sigh*

I forgot to cut my fender clearances for the new steering arm and frame reinforcement... Ok not a biggie... I have a plasma cutter and the cuts were not in the paint but below in the under coating so nothing loss except time...

I keep telling ya... I fake this stuff and here's the proof...

Next kick... When I added the new belt for the alternator I had to move everything about 1.5 inches forward... I knew my clearances and had checked them for the old location but not the new one... Amazing how we can forget such important things... Any way... the fender is right up against the alternator pulley now and I have no way of moving the alternator in, up, or down... as a mater of fact it swings out further for adjustment... *ugh*...

You can see by the photos what the deal is... I guess you are bound to find something like this when you try and cram 6 gallons of krap in a 5 gallon bucket...

I have no "nifty" fixes here... I think the best route will be to notch the fender out and build a small reverse box in the corner... It will not look bad but it will be a snot load of work I didn't want to do on a newly painted and ready to install part... Its also going to take some time to knock it out...

Im packing it in for the night... Tomorrow I will re-cut the bottom of the fender for the steering and unbolt the top section after marking it all out... So much for getting on the road... This will set me back a few days at least... Dam... I was so hoping for a road trip to Orlando for a test drive this weekend!

Attachments

hummin2london

Now you know why you see the American Chopper guys, or any fabricator, completely build the project, then disassemble the whole thing for painting, powdercoating, etc before the final build.

Done the same thing a dozen time m'self :)

You doing great, keep it up. It will all end, I promise!

Cole

EZFEED

My God, my God........... :shock:

Normally I don't comment this early on a board that I'm new on and especially someones project but Devilman.....you have created some wicked little machine here. If there were a way I could show more in support I would but saying congrats on the work you've done on this just doesn't seem to be enough. [thumbzup]

I never thought such a vehicle would be so appealing tricked out like this yet you've just blown that thought away. [thumbzup] I'm literally drooling over your truck! :drool:

May I ask what you have planned for all of the space in the roof? Maybe some double rifle racks would look great up there too! :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at Diablo yesterday. Its ready for its first road trip. Still some loose ends to tie up here and there but other than that it's roadable. Mike is taking a little break from the truck but I'm sure there will be some reporting on it here next week. It's a good thing its almost complete, I don't think Mike has many 16 hour a day weeks left in him. It's been virtually a one man project.

Flatlander

So...I know that for men like yourself it's about the project and not the completion...so what's the next project? Too much talent here to call it finished. Maybe something amphibious? How about an early deuce? A mule? A bed toy would be perfect for your new ride! :jumpin:

devilman96

I still have LOADS of odds and ends, the bed, tool boxes, consoles, head liner etc, etc, etc to do...

I think "next" will be a matching "utility cart" or golf cart as I call them for the bed... OD, top, lift kit, dump bed, maybe a matching front end to the Deuce...

Then I can get back to some of the other hobbies I've been neglecting... I've got a Harley on the floor waiting on me and a endless pile of gun crap to refinish, etc...

I will post some pics and a great little story about my tag later today.

devilman96

Ok some pics of it in one piece (kinda) ... I still have boat loads to do but at least its road worthy...

You can see where I had to box out the front fender for clearance for the alternator. I think it turned out pretty good for a "whoops"...

Something I am slowly working on also is the tool box / parts / oh $hit list to carry in the truck... I've have a few PN's to share that might be of interest to some of you.

The compression couplings pictured are pretty cool as they will repair air, fuel, injector and brake lines in case of cracks or rust. I would not depend on them as a "fix" but they will get you out of a jamb when needed. Sizes are 1/4 thru 1/2... If any one is interested in getting some the PN's are below and the cost is 4-8$ each pending the size.

Size PN
1/4 62X4
5/16 62X5
3/8 62X6
1/2 62X8

The springs are just an assortment for brake, throttle return, and or misc needs.... Napa PN 732-1004.

As I buy this stuff and or think of it I will keep sharing the information.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks