• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted driving

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 2 near hits today so I gotta bump this up. I'm a white line driver and travel 40 miles down a 2 lane, 60mph highway to get to my trucks. Been doing lots of miles lately and the "New" head down, swerving over the center line drivers have me scared. I'm not scared for me, the lightest truck I drive weighs over 9000lbs and the air-bag would hurt a little but kids, we've got a nasty paradigm shift going on. I profile every driver I can to decide if I want to drive in front or behind them and there is wide demographic of lap driving and most of them aren't very good at it. If you're reading this........well first of all you shouldn't be driving and reading this at the same time...... just put your phones away until you get to where you're going because I don't want your face on my vanity plate.

If you've had one close call while texting and driving, please, oh pretty please put the phone in your pocket and grab it when you land.

I hate to say it but the odds of a safe journey everyday are getting slimmer so get the situational awareness game up boys, hastle my Transportation Minister for some change and teach your kids to focus.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a snippet from that article for those who don't click it. 9 people a day, dead, in one State, just hopping in the vehicle trying to get somewhere. Dead,..... Just running for milk, heading to the kids soccer game and grabbing the phone ....just for a second.... to check that ding ding ding....., Dead.

Putting the phone in the pocket and ''not touching it at any time while in a vehicle'' is the best thing we can do for each other. I'm doing it, please join along with our "Drive to Survive in the 21st Century" and drop the phone until you're home.

****During a six-year period the number of cell phone-related crashes increased by 143 percent in New York. In 2012, nine people were killed every day because of distracted driving.****

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's actually been shown that making texting illegal actually makes it worse!! People hold their phones down in their laps so it can't be seen by LEO's, but the result is that they are now looking down and have NO peripheral vision when doing that. And having devices that disable phones in a moving car are not the answer, because that prevents passengers from using a phone. It all goes back to common sense. I'm always playing Traffic Controller, I'm constantly monitering who's behind me, beside me, or coming towards me. And I'm looking to see if they're doing something stupid. It's one thing if someone just doesn't see me in a blind spot or something, but when they're driving like a jackazz, that really ticks me off.

MarcusOReallyus

It's probably not the right thing to do, but I'd stop, render any aid needed, and then tell the moron he got exactly what he deserved. And not nicely.

I'd go one step further. I'd stick around and tell the LEOs what I saw, and I'd make it clear I would testify in court.

Woodsplinter

It's actually been shown that making texting illegal actually makes it worse!! People hold their phones down in their laps so it can't be seen by LEO's, but the result is that they are now looking down and have NO peripheral vision when doing that. And having devices that disable phones in a moving car are not the answer, because that prevents passengers from using a phone. It all goes back to common sense. I'm always playing Traffic Controller, I'm constantly monitering who's behind me, beside me, or coming towards me. And I'm looking to see if they're doing something stupid. It's one thing if someone just doesn't see me in a blind spot or something, but when they're driving like a jackazz, that really ticks me off.
In 2010 I retired as a police detective after 30 years service. For many years I drove an unmarked car and observed crimes in progress and LOTS of bad driving. I saw many drivers texting while driving and almost all of them held their phones down low where it was difficult to see from outside the car. Texting while driving was legal at the time. I think they held it that way just because it was comfortable and more natural.

I don't know anything about the statics but its clearly a dangerous thing to do. 2cents

original

I let one of my two (one) wheel drive dump trucks sit idle every winter. Spring comes around and I tag and insure it again. This year I took off on a test run just making sure everything was running fine. I turned on the A/C to get some air and heard some debris in the fan housing. I figured the field mice had made it home for the winter. No big deal. Well, halfway back to the house the floor housing busts apart and a monster river rat runs out and under my pedals. I threw it out of gear and tried to smash it with the clutch pedal. It started up my leg and I knocked it to the floor. Meanwhile, I was all over the road. I checked my mirrors and stopped it in the middle of the road. I know it took me at least 10 minutes to force it out of the cab after I was stopped lol. I thought I could multitask and drive but I can't fight a rat and drive at all. I was just lucky not to meet another car on the road. So if you have a truck that sits around alot, keep it loaded with rat poison. Field mice are not a problem to me but godzilla rats are another story. Believe me, those big rats do exist. hahaha

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm giving this a nudge for some feedback. Just spent 5 days/nights hauling an 8000 bobcat around and managing 5 tandems on ice-packed roads.

I see the problem now. As drivers are texting they don't notice the speed limit signs or us coming up behind them at posted speeds. They may have been told to move to the right because it's more courteous to drive distracted in the right lane. Some do, some don't and the solution seems obvious.

If you're smart enough to text and drive and you're going to keep doing it, please get out of the way. Some of us are task focused and need to deliver your goods that some of your tax dollars pay for.

I've driven through parts of the United States where traffic, when it's flowing, flows well. Trucks in the right lane, guys moving over and adjusting speeds when others are merging, someone coming off pit lane and Johnny moving up to the wall to let him in....just NASCAR style flow. I even watched vehicles communicating with those flashy lights on the sides and ends, letting each other know which lane they needed to be in or a tap of the brakes to let the guy behind know something was happening ahead and to prepare for a change, just good use of available comms.

I'm done with just watching our new drivers white knuckling our 50mph freeways at 30 in the fast lane, talking to ma on the phone, chewing on a burger with a smoke hanging from their mouth. Although, if they were in the right lane, I would say they were quite talented.

A letter is drafted to the Transportation Minister to implement some courtesy laws, review the current driver education system and help our growing Province prepare for the future. The 2013 Stats are here for interest sake and aren't terrible for a winter province. Still seems ridiculous to say there were only 141,000 accidents last year. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType47/Production/Glance2013.pdf I spent some phone time with the Alberta Motor Transport Association and am going to put some effort in to making some changes.

Just wondering out-loud why so many drivers seem to know how to use the American road system or did I just have a lucky drive?

Any thoughts on general ways of implementing changes to the driving community so we can get where we're going safer?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really depends on where you drive. I lived in Tacoma/Olympia WA for 8 years, and all who entered I-5 went directly to the left lane, it was crazy. I drive a lot in NYC, they have the BEST merge etiquette I have ever seen. One goes, one moves in, etc etc. They only get mad when someone is to passive and doesn't go when they are supposed to.

It just seems that more and more people simply treat driving as a competition more than a means to safely get where you needed to be.

Anyone ever put a blinker on to change lanes, and have that car coming on the left "floor it" to prevent your move?

I travel about 35K a year for work, and it just never ceases to amaze me how thoughtless, rude and careless other drivers can be.

As far as the impending warning brake light tap, the headlight blink, the 4 ways to say thanks, yes I use them all. Wish more did .....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny this thread cause a Girl that worked for the Sheriff's office got me yesterday in the rear while she was TXing. Had my turn signals on for quarter mile cause the speed was 65 but she still clipped me. Lucky she woke up just in time but I saw her comming and was ready and relaxed to take on the worst. Ok, she woke up cut hard and just clipped my right rear quarter with her mirrior. Small 6 inch dent on me but her mirrior slamed back so fast it broke her drivers window. She was shaken and cut but all right but her and the inside of the car covered in glass. It was my work truck so no worries on my end.

RangerBob

<snip>
Just wondering out-loud why so many drivers seem to know how to use the American road system or did I just have a lucky drive?
Most people on the Interstates seem to understand and follow the basic rules, speed limits excepted, so probably not just a lucky drive. However, we have our share of oblivious teen-age tweeters, Mr. Magoos, and vacuous others. Of special note, Californians! More than any other license plate, that is the one I see puttering down the fast lane and not yielding to anything behind. Quebecois also ride the fast lane, but they are usually hauling arse! I have a theory for each of these driving culture oddities. First, the Californians. In their state the trucks are required to stay in the right lane and must drive 10MPH less than the cars, so the car drivers have just got in the habit of cruising the left lane. Continuing that habit in the wider world gains them the ire of the rest of us. As for the K-beckers, I can only assume that a speeding ticket in the US is so cheap compared to in the province, that they just don't care if they get one!

Last edited:

tim292stro

...Of special note, Californians!...
I resemble that remark :)

It also pays to realize that we have more first generation drivers in our stat than most others (people didn't get the benefit of watching thier parents drive for decades before giving it a shot themselves). We also just recently got the "move over or slow down" for highway workers and police.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"If you're smart enough to text and drive and you're going to keep doing it, please get out of the way. Some of us are task focused and need to deliver your goods that some of your tax dollars pay for. "

If they had any smarts at ALL, they wouldn't text and drive. Only morons text and drive. And only SOME people can talk on a phone and drive. Most have to move their hands around so the person on the phone can understand...:doh:

Al Harvey

Well I know I use to be bad about texting in driving, but that was also before the smart phones. I use to be able to send a message and never look at the phone. Now I just wait til I get somewhere and stop. That's the joy of texting, you don't have to respond right away.

Distracted driving is not just using a phone, eating, reading, etc. Distracted driving is also when your just not paying attention to your surroundings. If you don't know what vehicles are around you, your distracted. Usually I can tell you the color and type of vehicle around me, that is so I know where I can go if something bad happens. There are a lot of drivers out there that if you watch them you can almost predict what stupid thing they are going to do.

I know this is about distracted driving, but I just want to reinforce another point in safety. Make sure your vehicle is safe for the road and you know how to properly operate it, because that can cause just as many wrecks and loss of life as being distracted. Oh and if you vehicle isn't safe and your distracted, please stay at home.

mikey

I think more states ought to have unmarked cars so they can catch a lot of drivers in their natural state, idiocy.
There is a common misconception that LEO actually has time to "catch more" people breaking the law, or that they sit around corners anxiously awaiting the unsuspecting law breaker cross their path. The fact of the matter is you can pull people over all day long for legitimate reasons, without having to search for more people breaking the law. You don't need to sit in one spot for more than three minutes to see an expired tag, expired registration or traffic offense. Some people also might be surprised at the percentage of "routine" traffic stops that yield more serious offenses such as suspended license, warrants, possession of controlled substance, which tie a LEO up for hours.

The fact of the matter is that in a 12 hour shift when you include required tasks such as court, welfare checks, vehicle maintenance, dispatch calls and PAPERWORK and reports, you'd be hard pressed to find the time to pull and cite more than a few people a day.

There is NO SHORTAGE of people breaking the law. You don't have go unmarked to search for infractions, you'd be shocked at how many people blow a red light right, turn without signaling or throw trash out the window right in front of you in a MARKED unit. The average LEO lets A LOT of guppies slip by while he keeps an eye out for the sharks.

I'm in NO WAY condoning distracted driving or breaking the law. I'm just saying there aren't enough hours in the day to catch every misdemeanor offender or fix every stupid driver.

Mikey

Edit:
I should also add that most of those behaviors (texting, eating, putting on makeup, talking on the phone) are VERY difficult to prove and don't hold up in court.

Last edited:

tim292stro

One of my cop friends told me once several years back:

"Finding people to pull over is like duck hunting - you can pull over the ones that stick out, and if you don't see one of those, you can just grab anyone out of the crowd..."

Having done Loss Prevention in retail myself, I can attest to what Mikey says above - you'd be shocked the saturation of crime that goes on around people who are mostly oblivious. Who would suspect the young mother pushing her <12-month-old through the store, has a flip knife she's opening packages with and PUTTING THEM UNDER HER CHILD TO HIDE IT... (actual anecdote from my LP time)

I tend to go the other way - instead of relieving personal responsibility and relying on Law Enforcement to reign in the nutters, I think we should remove some of the civil liability laws and so that natural selection can take its rightful course... You want to follow that GPS off the cliff, well then who are we to stop you. :)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driver Training

Only spent a few weeks driving California but it was great. Hammer down, good spacing situational awareness, great road system down from Palm Desert to San Diego and back to Yuma. BMW, grannie rally El central. I was always getting distracted driving in Cali so who's a hypocrite.

When the magged out M1010 was given nose gunner position on a 50+ truck convoy I had 4 hrs @ 35mph to watch how drivers around us responded. We are actually part of the problem having such beautiful trucks and everyone that passed us playing MV Spotted. I don't think legislation or law enforcement is enough. It needs to be made socially unacceptable to do anything other than drive, when you're driving.

Every person and their child, in the vehicles around me, should be thought of as "important enough to demand my full attention"......and I, important enough to demand theirs.

Our trucks are big and we'd kill people if we didn't focus and likewise, those around us can die when they don't see us. Thought about a big "Go Ahead, Text and Drive" logo on the front bumper of the deuce but that just doesn't represent our hobby very well. I'll be using the truck in some way next year to help educate so how about some ideas.

One of the improvements we see is the % of vehicle failures resulting in incidents. Fewer tires coming off rigs, fewer ford firestone failures, and not so many brake/steering failures. That message is working so lets carry the maintenance tradition forward. Now that we have great vehicles and amazing road systems, we create the smart phone to balance death rates, bloody genius.

Sorry to hear we had a distracted driving incident among us but it's not just coincidence. Odds are getting better of being personally introduced to a distracted driver. Get your "A" game on boys.

The link is for US stats and you can say what you want about stats but 421,000 injuries in a year from a somewhat preventable human thought process is a joke......... here's a blurb
[h=2]How big is the problem?[/h]
  • In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,360 in 2011. An additional, 421,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver in 2012, a 9% increase from the 387,000 people injured in 2011.[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • In 2011, nearly one in five crashes (17%) in which someone was injured involved distracted driving.[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • In December 2012, more than 171 billion text messages were sent or received in the US.[SUP]1[/SUP]

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/

Attachments

tim292stro

...Thought about a big "Go Ahead, Text and Drive" logo on the front bumper of the deuce but that just doesn't represent our hobby very well...
Yeah, I stop short of encouraging stupidity in situ :beer: My position is that it's a free country, and if it's the personal choice of an individual to knowingly violate a rule/law that was put in place because people were too stupid to think for themselves, I'm not a cop or a lawyer... and unfortunately not a trauma medic. I would pull over to help, but only if the personal risk is manageable.

And if anyone thinks distracted driving is a problem, look at DUIs... Just taking the license away isn't effective 100% of the time, and for repeat offenders forfeiture of vehicles and freedom should be on the menu sooner rather than later.

Recently this guy was a real winner in California, but he didn't survive his sentence. Karma?

There are good books on defensive driving, a defensive driving course can also be taken - if one drives expecting only good drivers on the road and relying on everyone else to look out for you, it's only a matter of time... I drive expecting that everyone else is out to get me - it's only paranoia 95% of the time, but that 5% I WAS RIGHT! [thumbzup]

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a safety bump and some fresh info on how we're progressing with our new technologies. Alberta is being forced to 'look at' adding demerits and a pile of other legislation because we're not learning.
If the phone addicts just put the phone away until they're home we wouldn't need to add yet another level of legislation to the pile. Coming to a community near you unless folks voluntarily give up the phone, I promise.

"""""Drivers who exhibit what is deemed to be more serious or risky behaviours could be charged with driving carelessly under the Traffic Safety Act. The penalty for driving carelessly carries six demerit points and a fine of $402."""""""

-----get caught twice and loose the license for a month----

http://www.newstalk770.com/2015/02/04/53792/

A local 16 year old trying to drive the message home http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/2015/02/12/stopping-distracted-driving

""""Driver distraction is a factor in about 4 million motor vehicle crashes in North America each year""""

Distracted drivers know that they should look outside the vehicle when they drive, they just choose not to.

The thought of looking around inside the vehicle while it's moving seems so ridiculous. If we stared at the interior light or the ashtray or even the speedometer for 5-10 seconds while driving down the road, our friends and families would lock us up.
How did we get to the point of accepting phone usage while in care and control of thousands of rolling pounds of metal?

Here's an app that will help.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-aims-to-help-heavy-cellphone-users-1.2962483

http://distracteddriving.caa.ca/education/

The Alberta Transportation Minister is getting information and support about all kinds of progressive changes that are already taking place on the west coast. http://www.sense.bc.ca/2015/02/02/its-time-to-fix-albertas-speed-limits/

Alberta has already recorded a large number of accidental deaths of some of the 100,000 recent immigrants as well as visiting foreign students. http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2015/02/18/22242416.html

I just want everyone to get home safe and texting while driving does not help! Park the Phone Until You're Home.

Keep Right Except to Pass

:tigger:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks