• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diy rock sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonmotors

is there any ideas on the bumpers yet or if they might have a winch mount and i just sent a pm for a set of sliders for my 09 i hope they will be as good as everyone says.

MyAngry85

Really like the sliders! I planned on building mine like they did in that article, but after seeing yours I'll definately be basing mine of of your design. Just ordered my materials for it yesterday. Using 3/16" thick tubing instead of the 1/8" though. I already had some. As far as bumper ideas, I used a bumper off a deuce and a half and used the CUCV grille guard. Haven't bought a winch yet, but the frame is all set to accept a winch behind the bumper.
0311021510.jpg0630021403.jpg0427021456b.jpg0427021456a.jpg0427021456.jpg0427021455a.jpg0427021455.jpg0311021511a.jpg0311021511.jpg0630021404.jpg

MyAngry85

Thanks a lot for the compliments. I call it my Chicago Rush Hour Bumper. After reading about your Evolution saw, I have been seriously considering getting one. I'm always looking for better ways of cutting steel. I was thinking about putting the Evolution Rage 2 carbide tooth blade on my chop saw but my saw runs at 3200 rpm. I'm afraid that would burn that blade up. After using your Rage 3 compound slide saw for awhile, would you recommend it as a good alternative to the 14" chop saw?

ssdvc

That is an awesome bumper. Strong and great looking. How much to make one up?? What about a matching rear?

Shankem-Deep

Thanks a lot for the compliments. I call it my Chicago Rush Hour Bumper. After reading about your Evolution saw, I have been seriously considering getting one. I'm always looking for better ways of cutting steel. I was thinking about putting the Evolution Rage 2 carbide tooth blade on my chop saw but my saw runs at 3200 rpm. I'm afraid that would burn that blade up. After using your Rage 3 compound slide saw for awhile, would you recommend it as a good alternative to the 14" chop saw?
Yea the rpm's are too high on your chop saw. I recommend The Rage 3 if you plan on using it for a lot of compound angles. If you're just doing regular cuts and some angles mixed in I would get the Rage 2 14" chop saw. I've been using my Rage 2 for over a year, and have made around 20 sets of rock sliders and various other projects and I'm still on the original blade! Now don't get me wrong it's a good thing those blades last that long because they are pricey to replace!

@MyAngry85, re pic 2 in second post, not sure where that is or why the reinforcing plate... but great almost OEM looking bumper - did you use OEM grill guard or go with heavier material? My neck of the woods 1/2"x2" would work better with an added horizontal between the headlight and parking light - 1st to deal with elk and moose = not lightweigts at all, 2nd to keep 400# mule deer from punching your lights out.

MyAngry85

It took a couple months to fab up that bumper, it weights about 150lbs., cost of shipping and materials would be crazy, plus a lot of frame modification has to be made to accept the bumper. Doubt I'll be matching the back, I like the stock step bumper for now.

MyAngry85

@MyAngry85, re pic 2 in second post, not sure where that is or why the reinforcing plate... but great almost OEM looking bumper - did you use OEM grill guard or go with heavier material? My neck of the woods 1/2"x2" would work better with an added horizontal between the headlight and parking light - 1st to deal with elk and moose = not lightweigts at all, 2nd to keep 400# mule deer from punching your lights out.

The plates are there because regular flat washers were digging into the rhino liner, just happened to have a little diamond plate left over. As far as the grill guard goes, it is the stock guard but I cut the ends and re welded them to match the angle of the deuce and a half bumper. Some bar stock was added and the expanded steal to strengthen the guard and make it for more effective against branches. Didn't want to put anything over the head lights because some cops like to ticket for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks