• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need a CDL for a 5 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain-crank

krush

New here, but from Virginia. Most people read the "over 26,001lb" info on the words but they almost always overlook the commerce/commerical aspect. In VA, if the vehicle is used for PRIVATE use (which I rekn' most people on this site use their stuff for private use) then a CDL is not needed. And I think this is true for most states (maybe even all states, but I can't know for sure).

Just like big boats, one can drive something really big as long as it is personal without a special license. Now, the cop may hassle you because he doesn't know the rules and is confused to why a guy is driving a 50,000lb vehicle for "personal use"...but that's the rules.

If you can afford it, you can buy a 200ft yacht and cruise it around without a captains license...provided you don't have paying passengers.

quickfarms

This issue is state specific.

In California you could probably get away with a non commercial class a or b, but these licenses are for rv's, it is safer to just get a CDL.

I look at the worst case scenario such as a serious accident that is investigated by the DOT and the insurance company is looking for a way out, and a CDL is the best way to go for this scenario.

quickfarms

It is not so easy to convert it to an rv.

There are specific requirements that include a bed, portable water, cooking and sanitation before you can change the registration to an rv.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Just yesterday I got the possibly silly idea of taking a small travel trailer, cutting off the drawbar and axle, then securing it in the bed of a 5-ton cargo truck. I had previously contemplated converting a commo shelter into a camper box with shower/bed/toilet/stove/sink, too. In either case, I wonder if the end result might be considered a suitable RV conversion if it's "permanent" enough (i.e. bolted in place, not just duct taped).

krush

A CDL is by definition a "Commerical driver's license"....why would you need it if you are not operating commercially (for hire)?

Obtaining a CDL isn't as easy as it was 20 years ago. Additionally, there may be potential to be open to MORE liability because certain behavior and knowledge is "expected" by possessing a CDL. I'm not a lawyer though LOL

quickfarms

Krush where are you located. I thought the rules required us to list our location.

You are in a grey area unless your state specifically states that your historic vehicle is exempt. If you are in the grey area, do you have the financial resources to fight this in court?

In california driving out of class can get your vehicle impounded, and that is not cheap.

If you get into an accident your insurance company could deny coverage based on their opinion that you are driving out of class.

Getting a CDL is not that hard even today.

One thing I forgot to mention is if you are operating the vehicle under some exemption it is advisable that you keep a copy of the statute in the vehicle. In California the statute can change every year so you need to have the current exemption in the vehicle.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
A CDL is by definition a "Commerical driver's license"....why would you need it if you are not operating commercially (for hire)?
It really depends on what state you're in. The federal standards apply to commercial use only, but state laws aren't all written that way. In CA, the required license class is based on the type of vehicle being driven, even if it's not being used commercially. I can go on in a lot more detail about CA's particular requirements, but this horse has already been beaten to a fine paste. ;)

Edited to add: By the way, in CA, Historical Vehicle plates exempt you from weight fees and stopping at truck scales, but they do not affect licensing requirements. A deuce or 5-ton is a class B truck in CA.

Last edited:

quickfarms

"Edited to add: By the way, in CA, Historical Vehicle plates exempt you from weight fees and stopping at truck scales, but they do not affect licensing requirements. A deuce or 5-ton is a class B truck in CA. "

Do you have a citation for the scale exemption?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
"Edited to add: By the way, in CA, Historical Vehicle plates exempt you from weight fees and stopping at truck scales, but they do not affect licensing requirements. A deuce or 5-ton is a class B truck in CA. "

Do you have a citation for the scale exemption?
I used to, but I'll need to find it again. I don't know yet if the CVC section numbers changed recently along with the PC numbers. :-|

Let me see if I can find it... It's been about a decade since I studied the CVC carefully.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Ok, here comes some CA Vehicle Code:

Historical Vehicle plate requirements are in CVC 5004(a).

Weight fee exemption is in CVC 9400(d).

I haven't found the truck scale exemption that I remember yet... Do you think I'm wrong about that? Or has it possibly changed in the last decade? Or is it maybe just CHP policy at their scales rather than something in the vehicle code?

CA laws can be looked up here, by the way.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone, in any state been cited, arrested, scolded with harsh language, etc by authorities SPECIFICALLY for driving a 5 ton non-commercially without a CDL? Not debating the legality, or implying to get a CDL or not get a CDL, I'm just curious if someone has faced penalties and what happened thereafter.

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Not me. I researched my state's licensing requirements when I got my first MV, and got into compliance before the wheels hit the road.

:driver:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I look at the worst case scenario such as a serious accident that is investigated by the DOT and the insurance company is looking for a way out, and a CDL is the best way to go for this scenario.
:ditto:
This is EXACTLY why I went through the pains and penalties of obtaining a CDL. (I'm) not going down in flames because of an over zealous civil attorney and the insurance company that just walked away from me because I was not right in the eyes of the law after Joe Dumb@$$ illegally pulled in front of my oncoming 5-Ton:shock:. At fault or not, the law is still going to scrutinize you.

This whole CDL issue :)deadhorse:) has nothing to do with how you use or will use your vehicle. Read your local DMV/DOT Commercial Handbook. I know mine really speaks nothing about hauling commerce. It speaks of safety first and foremost. It's about proving, and holding credentials thereof, to the powers that be that you can and will safely and competently operate a large heavy vehicle on public roadways.

Always, respectfully submitted...2cents...

quickfarms

There was a thread on this site a while ago about some one who got cited in a duece for driving out of class. If I remember correctly he was forced to get a class b.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I spoke with one of my city's Commercial Enforcement LEO prior to purchasing my truck, he spoke of a gentleman that had his Deuce impounded, at this LEO's doing, for driving out of class. It is not a cheap proposition...impound fees, court fines, fees and penalty assessments, attorney fees (?) so on and so forth.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter

:ditto:
This is EXACTLY why I went through the pains and penalties of obtaining a CDL. (I'm) not going down in flames because of an over zealous civil attorney and the insurance company that just walked away from me because I was not right in the eyes of the law after Joe Dumb@$$ illegally pulled in front of my oncoming 5-Ton:shock:. At fault or not, the law is still going to scrutinize you.

This whole CDL issue :)deadhorse:) has nothing to do with how you use or will use your vehicle. Read your local DMV/DOT Commercial Handbook. I know mine really speaks nothing about hauling commerce. It speaks of safety first and foremost. It's about proving, and holding credentials thereof, to the powers that be that you can and will safely and competently operate a large heavy vehicle on public roadways.

Always, respectfully submitted...2cents...
Ditto

Illinois and Wisconsin (1970 and newer) both require a Class B CDL for any straight truck plated over 26,000LBS. It tells any LEO you took the time to understand the limitations of your vehicle (i.e. they don't care about your common sense, they want to see it on paper or plastic). I spoke with both the State Troopers and DMV and asked to speak with their on-duty Inspection Officers. Their unanimous statement was: If over 26k GVWR.....plate it as a truck (commercial) and carry a class B CDL. Farm vehicle plate if used for hauling agriculture (as I want to haul gravel......got a no go for farm plates on that) or the like.

The class B CDL is not difficult to earn nor expensive. It's a 130 page book (read in a couple nights), a written test (take the air brake endorsement with it), a pre-trip walk around test (pointing out basics), skills test (stopping, backing up, turning) and an on-road test. Figure about 20 hours total and $60. It covers common sense basics (that you already know), but verifies it to any LEO if pulled over.

And as I'm a new guy (aka Neophyte).....I may be overkilling (put beating dead horse avatar hear)....though after spending the time reading the technical manuals (809 series) and understanding how the M817 works and what to look for if a problem arises, a CDL is a far easier task in my VERY HUMBLE opinion.

namedpipes

So let's say I get a CDL and drive a truck in a legal configuration for my state.

Now I drive through some state with different local regs that would make my CDL/truck configuration illegal there. Am I legal or would I have to be in compliance with each state I pass through?

Does this change at all if I turn the fuel up?

(in full disclosure I don't yet have a deuce, darn it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks