• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need a CDL for a 5 ton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
RV's are specifically federally exempt from CDL requirements. Most states also have exemptions for them a few like CA have some CDL requirements if you are legal in the state you are registered in then I believe all states must reciprocate and accept your registration and license as valid to drive as long as you are in compliance with the fed regs.

castirondude

Also beware of other regs, one time I was picking something up (a bulldozer) in california with my semi truck and they pulled me at the scales. Turns out there you have to keep a time cards even on personally owned trucks. The cops were real nice, since I have a sleeper cab they considered it under the rv exemption :D but they made it real clear that was the one and only time. Also if you drive within california you have to have a CA number no exceptions.

quickfarms

This issue is a state by state issue and in some states it depends on how the truck is registered or how the laws are enforced.

I think we should generate a table that lists each state and the requirements.

In California the DMV handbook is ambiguous and has not been updated.

In California it is a violation of the vehicle code to drive any three axle vehicle over 6,000 lbs with a regular class c license.

California has a non commercial class b for motor homes. So if the vehicle is titled insured and registered as a motor home or house car this would work.

rmgill

RV's are usually exempt but what is the reason for the exemption? Like I said some RV's are bigger and heavier then a 5 Ton.

Federally speaking RV's are exempt because they're not used in commerce. If you use them for your business they're not exempt if they go over the weight rating.

US a large 40' Motor-coach for your business you need a CDL.

Use one for touring as part of a band, your driver needs a CDL.

That is per the FMCSA agent in charge of state agency training.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right out of the federal rules section:
(Personally I like the one about transporting human corpses but that opens up a whole new argument thread.)
(BTW, Ohio law has the same exemptions for transporting your own things (#3) and it follows federal law.)

§ 390.3General applicability.
(a) The rules in subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.
(b) The rules in part 383, Commercial Driver's License Standards; Requirements and Penalties, are applicable to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle, as defined in §383.5 of this subchapter, in interstate or intrastate commerce and to all employers of such persons.
(c) The rules in part 387, Minimum Levels of Financial Responsibility for Motor Carriers, are applicable to motor carriers as provided in § 387.3 or § 387.27 of this subchapter.
(d) Additional requirements. Nothing in subchapter B of this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer from requring and enforcing more stringent requirements relating to safety of operation and employee safety and health.
(e) Knowledge of and compliance with the regulations. (1) Every employer shall be knowledgeable of and comply with all regulations contained in this subchapter which are applicable to that motor carrier's operations.
(2) Every driver and employee shall be instructed regarding, and shall comply with, all applicable regulations contained in this subchapter.
(3) All motor vehicle equipment and accessories required by this subchapter shall be maintained in compliance with all applicable performance and design criteria set forth in this subchapter.
(f) Exceptions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the rules in this subchapter do not apply to—
(1) All school bus operations as defined in §390.5, except for the provisions of §§ 391.15(f), 392.80, and 392.82 of this chapter.
(2) Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State, or an agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by the Congress of the United States;
(3) The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;
(4) The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons;
(5) The operation of fire trucks and rescue vehicles while involved in emergency and related operations;
(6) The operation of commercial motor vehicles designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver), not for direct compensation, provided the vehicle does not otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle, except that motor carriers and drivers operating such vehicles are required to comply with §§390.15, 390.19, 390.21(a) and (b)(2), 391.15(f), 392.80 and 392.82 of this chapter.
(7) Either a driver of a commercial motor vehicle used primarily in the transportation of propane winter heating fuel or a driver of a motor vehicle used to respond to a pipeline emergency, if such regulations would prevent the driver from responding to an emergency condition requiring immediate response as defined in § 390.5.

emr

Use the search function first, second if you want to know the MV laws in your state, go to a motor vehicle agency and get the CDL book, There is absolutely no other possible way to be sure you are not getting opinions. MOST are opinions on what they perceive the laws are. Why are you so curious about another? Why so nosey ? I think most on this site, believe whats mine is mine and please stay out of my life. I hope since you are new here you are not using this site to give some one a hard time. second how do you think you are going to get legal advise from a web site ? Go read the book, You will find there are a ton of reasons cdl's do not pertain, most have to do with commerce. Not the vehicle.

emr

Noticing above post, Yes all do to commerce, You can drive an 18 wheeler if you register it for personal use, I wish people would read the rules instead of trying to see what others are doing wrong. My personal feelings on this matter, And now more rant, No He does not and leave him alone. In NJ it is clear snow plow, ambulance,fire truck,tow truck, and personal use are NOT required to need a cdl, Personal use no one can tax you so they don't care anymore, Its all MONEY ! safety is the reason to get more money from you, but first its all about what you can be fee'd up the cuzzoo for and taxed, once there is no fee, aka personal use, no one cares anymore. Oh and as for weight, you can register a vehicle for a lower weight, and get under it, as long as the vehicle weighs less than the limit, Just dont load it and get caught.But than agian personal use exempts all.there are so many this can be done that cant be dones, registrations are the key here, But really it just gets silly to get legal advise from a web site, And as for listing all the codes, I say stick to military hobby truck stuff, these posts are well i think silly.,

Last edited:

Interapid

If the vehicle has an air compressor that is used as part of the brake system then an airbrake endorsement, or lack of a restriction is required.

This is not typically enforced for vehicles under 26,000 lbs.

You may or may not get a ticket if you are pulled over, depending upon the officer. But chances are very high that you will get cited or your insurance company may use this to deny paying any claims on a serious accident. This is due to the fact that a serious accident will investigated by commercial or dot officers.

If your state has an exemption for personal vehicles than you have a leg to stand on.
Oh boy now we are onto insurance also! How do I get one of those beat the dead horse thingies?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I found certain endorsements for cdl licenses depending on the state I could not find any federal requirement that specified a cdl for just having air brakes.

castirondude

BTW I always thought that the $750k liability requirement applied to all heavy trucks but it looks like this too is not the case. I talked to my insurance co Progressive and I could lower my insurance from $1200 to $300 by only taking the minimum required. (I struck a middle ground, the minimum liability $30k is a bit lower than I cared for, so I took $100k)

markmontana

Best to base your liability limits on... How much you have to loose. If you live in a car and own nothing, go with minimums.

If you have worked all your life and have some things of value- you need high limits.

zeisshensoldt

This is news to me, but i guess it's not surprising, as Maine's laws are quite lax in general. "By federal law, you need to have a CDL to drive any truck weighing more than 26,001 pounds. You do not need a CDL to drive a fire truck or emergency vehicle, an RV for personal use, military vehicles, farm vehicles, antique autos, or (in many cases) a municipal snowplow." As well as any vehicle older than 1996 isn't required to have a title to get it registered, just a bill of sale.

Last edited:

castirondude

Drifting off topic here, but I found the following map somewhat useful. It says which states have their own commercial inspection program. The green states that do NOT have their own program, simply require that you get a federal USDOT number, and you deal with them for compliance. This generally means that their laws follow the federal guidelines, including personal use exemptions. Conversely the pink states that have their own program which will generally be more restrictive. I know for instance in CA there is no personal use exemption (except RV's) from their inspection program.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-usdot.htm

Rifleman

In Arizona you do not need a CDL to drive a M939 truck if the truck is over 25 years old or older and is plated with a historic plate. When you plate it historic you CAN NOT USE IT FOR HIRE, in the weight section of the registration the state lists the GVRW weight as zero. This is a good thing because now the state can not charge you any weight fees when you go to register it. Total cost to plate and register it for one year is around $40 bucks.

roadkill150

Upon looking at this thread, There are a couple things to address: folks are mixing up commercial vehicle (CV) and commercial drivers license (CDL). Two separate beasts completely. The thread itself is asking about CDL's. A prime example of this is those 30 ton, cement-pumping 8 wheel rigs or large crane trucks. In California anyways, those are NOT considered commercial vehicles even though their gvwr is probably 60-80 thousand lbs, YET you need a CDL to drive one. Requirements WILL vary from state to state is really the bottom line, and really the only ones that can answer the original poster's question are those that are familiar with his state's CDL requirements. I have a strong urge to talk about other stuff that has de-railed a lot of this thread but i will refrain. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks