• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge 230 L6 Question...

mobiledab

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took delivery of a 1951 M37 today and have a question about the engine head bolts. Most pictures posted of M37 engine compartments I see show head bolts that appear absent of threaded holes in the cap. Also, a lift fixture is present. The passenger side of my engine has multiple head bolts with what appear to be threaded holes in the cap. These bolts are also present in other locations of the head, but the majority are on the passenger side. The engine lift bracket is absent, there is a 12-volt Autolite distributor (that indicates the oil pump is from a civilian engine), the coil bracket is from a civilian engine, the intake and exhaust manifolds appear "different" (is there a difference between military and civilian engines?), and the only remnants of paint on the engine are orange (Chrysler Orange possibly?). I may be paranoid, but wonder if there's been an engine change out. The odometer reads 14,000ish and there is an ORD overhaul plate on the dash that I can't read without some work (tomorrow). Finally, I don't remember this type of bolt on M37 and M43s I've owned in the past; however, I do remember these bolts on the engine of my 1946 WDX Power Wagon. I am not a Mopar expert. Anyone have an opinion? Thank you in advance!

David

Canadianz

It isn’t uncommon to find the engine has been replaced at some point. You could always look at the engine model number that is stamped on the front left of the motor. If you can tell us that, it shouldn’t be hard to figure out what you have. The original would be a T245.