• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Double Towing?

Green_gator

The Scion cars are fairly small tC is 174" long with a wheelbase of 106", xD 155" Long and 97" w/b, xB 167" long and 103" w/b. None of them are over 70" wide so if you can find a way to back it in the deuce bed they should fit and the weight is low enough that you could carry them in the 105 so the deuce is no problem.

1stDeuce

I'd say it's a no go too... if the scion weighed a lot less than a 105, or the 105 was heavier and shorter rear overhang, I'd think about it, but a tow bar vehicle does tend to push the towing vehicle around some, and I just don't think a 105 would hold it still...

As for doubles, they are legal in some states, with various restrictions, and completely illegal in others... As Ida34 pointed out, in MI, it's legal if the front one is Fifth wheel (It does say 5th wheel, which technically excludes gooseneck.) and I believe there's weight restrictions, and you need a special license endorsement. When I was in texas a long time ago, I saw trains of cars all tow-bar equipped and hooked together behind a big old sedan... Heading for Mexico. Up to four cars all hooked together and rolling down the highway at 45-50mph... Scary!!!

blckdblnckl, I'm in Howell too... Like your 1008 project. One of my buddies did the same thing as you, but with a gooseneck hauling a big suburban, and a Pathfinder lashed on the back. Turning sharp was not so good for stuff, but it worked fine going straight, from Houghton to Petoskey, with all the legality of a tow dolly so far as we could tell.

KaiserM109, those are some nice words of wisdom... I work in the field of vehicle stability control, including some trailere sway logic... We've pretty much come to the same conclusions about what allows, encourages, and prevents sway... Though sway we work with is critical, meaning it gets progressively worse once started... Always caused by too little tongue weight, and made worse by long trailers, specifically ones that don't have weight concentrated over the axles... Fun stuff!!
C

Last edited:

rmgill

GL would naturally put the forks through the side of the scion.

Better is to get someone to go with you and drive the scion back.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In CA double trailer towing IS legal. 1st trailer must be a gooseneck setup. My thoughts are - if you have to have some sort of illegal, unsafe, rigged recovery system - you can't affoard the hobby. My gawd - what's holding that blazer on the back of that trailer? Hope? Prayers? And you had your daughter with you? Go stand in line with the double M105 rachet strap recovery artist.

:twisted:

KI4GSN

Put it in the back of the deuce. Ship it back. Something. Don't tow it. Rent or borrow a pintle hitch equipment trailer and trailer the Scion and trailer back. I wouldn't risk it, it's just not worth it.

tm america

no to is it legal no to if its safe and no no no to if its a good idea you will actually have three things behind it and only having brake on the m105 it will get ugly real quick maybe even fatal.its bad enough towing a car on a dolly cuz if it starts to sway the only way you have to get things straight is to accelorate.but with a trailer a dolly and a car you not gonna be doing much accellerating just alot of jack knifing . but it will probably look cool on u tube when the car passes the truck .please for the love of everyone on the road and side walks dont do it

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
In NY State combination units are Illegal w/ exceptions of saddle back trucks(up to 3), doubles with converter dollies, tow trucks pulling tractor trailers, some odd kind of metro garbage truck. The problem, besides the legality, is the tail trailer's tongue weight cannot go on the tail of a tag trailer [ahead]. It can unload the tongue weight on that forward unit and cause wild oscillations. This sometime happens with a tail heavy single trailer. Big rigs use converter dollies which do not do allow this because the trailer(s) is/are supported at both ends and the 5th wheels(s) pivot . Small doubles(28ft x2) can have a bit of a whip effect but that is pretty easy to ignore. It is worst if the tail trailer is heavier and may make an emergency avoidance a problem, especially in the snow. Triples whip more. Big doubles are more stable than double pups(28ft x2). They are only allowed on the NYS Thruway.Mass Pike... Tractor trailers are inherently stable, as long as the load is fwd, which it usually is. Tractor trailers(5th wheel units) are rock solid compared to tag trailers. (doubles/triples endorsement CDL-A commercial driver)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove a Deuce pulling an ammo trailer, pulling a pole trailer, from NW Minnesota, through Wisconsin & Illinois, to NW Indiana. 960 Miles. No problems.
Legally?

I seem to remeber a thread about this........................

cbvet

Legal?
Yes! In 2005 anyway.
Before we made the trip, I checked with all the state police agencies enroute. Was told no problem by every one.
I've never seen anything in print that says yea or nay.

jwaller

don't do it. here in SC and GA the only way you can tow doubles trailers legally is that they must be both 28' and total vehicle cannot total more than 73'.

your not supposed to tow a empty dolly behind a 28' trailer. even though I can't find anybody that will write a ticket for it.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Did some research of my own, and came to the same conclusion as the rest of you.

NOT a good idea to do what I was considering.

Now, as far as loading the Scion into the Deuce, it might work for some, but not for me because I already have a camper in the back of the Deuce. I am planning on keeping it there as well, and would like to be able to travel with both my extra supplies (which would've been in the 105) and my car.

So I have three choices here: Get rid of the M105, get rid of the Scion, or get a bigger flatbed trailer and strap a shelter to the front and the Scion to the back :twisted:

nhdiesel

Find a loading dock somewhere and put the Scion in the M105 with the tailgate flat. The trailer is rated for almost that much OFFROAD, let alone on the highway. Heck, I had an M105 on another M105 when I bought them...came 300 miles like this:

Jim

Attachments

nhdiesel

Just drive over the Scion one with the Deuce...then it should fit under the camper in the bed.

I just did some quick checking, and it looks like the Scion should go in the M105. Overall length of the 105 is 9' inside the box. Wheelbase of the Scion is 8.2'. and they have NO overhang in the rear. Put the Scion in backwards. You might have an issue with the wheelwells though...but nothing a few boards wouldn't fix. Toughest part is finding a place to tie the Scion down to.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks