• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drafted

Jeepsinker

Since I'm on our rural fire department, and the chief knows me, my truck and I just got drafted for high water rescue... and of course, I have one bad knuckle boot. I'm on standby right now so hopefully nobody will be stupid and drive into the high water areas and need extrication... that would mean lots of work later for me. I can't complain too much though, since this is the first time since we moved out here.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I'm on our rural fire department, and the chief knows me, my truck and I just got drafted for high water rescue... and of course, I have one bad knuckle boot. I'm on standby right now so hopefully nobody will be stupid and drive into the high water areas and need extrication... that would mean lots of work later for me. I can't complain too much though, since this is the first time since we moved out here.
LOL "no one stupid enough to drive into high water".... oh wait, you are serious. :)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was contacted by a friend of mine who is in the sheriffs department of the neighboring county diring our flooding here. They really needed extraction vehilcles. They got their mrap stuck. I told him I would have gladly done it but by that time I knew it was not safe for me to get over there. If you go be safe.

HanksDeuce

My local sheriff's department tried to pull that crap with me.

I asked if they would perform maintenance after the deep water rescue. Negative.
I asked if I would be compensated for fuel. Negative.
I asked if I would be the driver. Negative.

So I told them to get a boat. They got a M35A2 from surplus a few weeks later.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I asked if they would perform maintenance after the deep water rescue. Negative.

If somebody was really in need I could get past the first two. The last one would be a deal breaker.

If if my truck goes, I go with it.

Flyingvan911

That poor deuce. It deserves a loving home.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If somebody was really in need I could get past the first two. The last one would be a deal breaker.

If if my truck goes, I go with it.
Only an idiot would let someone who's never driven an MV, drive it in emergency conditions. That's just asking for a LODD...

Jeepsinker

Yeah that's a simple fact for me. Nobody drives my truck but me in any circumstance. Only one other person has since I got the truck, and that is a personal friend of mine who served for a long time driving these trucks exclusively years ago. He retired after 26 years of doing so.

Water wasn't bad today. It's already going back down, but we are supposed to get a bunch more rain later this week. I just finished checking my vent system again, and finally ran a new fuel tank vent. The fuel tank hasn't had a proper vent since I installed the A3 tank. It does now.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing about "Recovery", is that its pretty much an art form. You sorta wear the vehicle.... its part of you! And there are more things one should be concerned about, then meets the eye -- especially with "swim action".

rustystud

I would "allow" them to run the cable out from the winch to the vehicle but that would be it ! Even in the Marines I told a superior officer NO when he wanted to drive my truck. I told him in plain terms that this vehicle is MY responsibility and that no one drives it but me. He tried to make a stink about my refusing an order, but my superior officer who was a Major told this "butter bar" that is not how things work in this Marine Corp ! In fact he tore this guy a new one ! I never had to worry about that guy again !
Even in my private vehicles I'm the only own who drives my trucks. Except for my best friend who is also a mechanic who I have known since high school.

goldneagle

Lack of preparation on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Since most local gov't agencies can acquire MVs for free from Uncle Sugar (they get pick of the litter) I am not obligated to commit my vehicle for "emergency service" unless I feel like it. Since I have to pay for the expenses in keeping up the vehicles.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If called upon in an emergency, for a whole basketful of reasons, I have always asked to be DEPUTIZED for the duration of the service. This automatically throws an umbrella of protection from another whole basketful of possible problems. I have never been denied the reciprocal request when asked to serve.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, nor am I acting as an attorney.... yada yada yada)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't care about the politics, the poor planning, or miss-management. If I'm ever called upon to help my fellow man out in a time of need with my vehicles, I will without question. If I loose a vehicle or damage it saving someone else, so be it. Somethings are worth more than dollar amounts.

Jeepsinker

Absolutely. So here is a first question about this. I measured last night and it looks like I can ford 4.5 ft of water ( no snorkel yet), but we have some areas where the water has a moderate flow over the road. So how much is safe in one of those places? 1 ft? 2? 3? Obviously I don't want to lose my truck.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the amount of pressure in foot pounds that will determine if it will stay or be pushed. A foot to 18 inches of water will really only affect the tires and pumpkins and you will still have over 13,000 pounds of weight in the air above it. Favor the Deuce. At four feet, the water is pushing against a lot more of the deuce and a lot of the weight is now under water, at 4.5 feet the bed is filling with water, your driver's seat is getting wet from below and you have even more surface exposed to the water pushing. Favor the water. In between it's a judgement call, but I would err on the side of caution. After all the water might be deeper than you think!

Jeepsinker

Thanks mike. I know there are a few variables that affect the depth of moving water I can ford, I just haven't done it in the deuce. The faster the water, the less depth I can safely ford. Like you said, a judgment call I suppose.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks