• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drafted

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't care about the politics, the poor planning, or miss-management. If I'm ever called upon to help my fellow man out in a time of need with my vehicles, I will without question. If I loose a vehicle or damage it saving someone else, so be it. Somethings are worth more than dollar amounts.
Drew, I wholeheartedly agree but unless I'm incapacitated somehow to where I can't operate the vehicle, I'm going to be the one in the drivers seat or at least I'll dictate who drives it. I've let others drive my trucks in the past in times of need but it was people I trusted. There are several folks in emergency services that I would trust but I'm not just going to let whoever jump in and go.

goldneagle

People do things with rented cars that they may not do with their own vehicle. So I think the same would go if an emergency response person was driving my truck. If they don't have to maintain or repair it then they may take chances with it that the vehicle owner may not do.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drew, I wholeheartedly agree but unless I'm incapacitated somehow to where I can't operate the vehicle, I'm going to be the one in the drivers seat or at least I'll dictate who drives it. I've let others drive my trucks in the past in times of need but it was people I trusted. There are several folks in emergency services that I would trust but I'm not just going to let whoever jump in and go.
I understand where you're coming from as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My view is this! I will help my brother man any way that I can but I will not give up my truck to any government entity that has failed to properly plan for a disaster. If I have any type of machine that may be of value, I will also possess the skillset to operate it. If they only want part of the equation, they can find it elsewhere.

CUCVLOVER

If I could help and my vehicle was not in extreme danger then I probably would help.
If you help and something gets torn up directly from helping then they should help repair it.
(This is with government offices local or otherwise)
But under any circumstances no virus drives my truck but me. My dad has driven it a few times and it kind of bothered me.
Seeing as I know the truck, and I work on it, I drive it.

Jeepsinker

I agree, but we both know that isn't how government agencies of any kind do business. That's why we get our trucks and equipment so cheap ( or did until Govplanet), they just use up equipment and throw it away, no matter who bought it.

rustystud

I don't care about the politics, the poor planning, or miss-management. If I'm ever called upon to help my fellow man out in a time of need with my vehicles, I will without question. If I loose a vehicle or damage it saving someone else, so be it. Somethings are worth more than dollar amounts.
I totally agree with you Patracy, but I will not endanger my truck for some nut's truck that is stuck in a ditch or stream because he was an idiot driving when he shouldn't have been. If he is still in the truck that's another story, but I'm still driving.

rustystud

Lack of preparation on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Since most local gov't agencies can acquire MVs for free from Uncle Sugar (they get pick of the litter) I am not obligated to commit my vehicle for "emergency service" unless I feel like it. Since I have to pay for the expenses in keeping up the vehicles.
Amen to that brother ! Though as an employee of the county I am obligated (read mandatory) to work as "emergency personnel" during times of disaster. This became law a few years back and was explained in detail to all of us mechanics at the shops. It does not apply to my personal vehicles though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree with you Patracy, but I will not endanger my truck for some nut's truck that is stuck in a ditch or stream because he was an idiot driving when he shouldn't have been. If he is still in the truck that's another story, but I'm still driving.
Well I'm not going to go pull some knucklehead out of a bad spot because he was stupid enough to get it stuck. Saving lives is one thing, saving somebody's property because they did something stupid is another.

Having a big truck with a winch, I get calls all the time to rescue somebody's truck. If it's somebody I know that just happened to get in a jam, I'm glad to help. If it's somebody that was just going through a mud hole to see if they would make it and it isn't one of my close friends, call a wrecker. The only reason they call you in the first place is they think you'll do it free or very cheap. I'm not a charity tow truck service.

What's really good is when they say "I'll give you a case of beer" like that's something special. I've all but quit drinking but even if I haven't, I'd rather have cash. It's like they think you wouldn't do it for $50 but can talk you into it with a $25 case of beer.

Jeepsinker

Yep, I'm not doing that anymore either... after all the headache and damaged parts on the wrecker after getting it stuck, after getting someone else out screw that.. now with the deuce it isn't a problem, but the wrecker was just too heavy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to go down to the local mud hole with my deuce to watch guys play in the mud and would pull them out if they waded out there and hooked up the chain. They would always try to get me to take my deuce through the mud holes. There were mostly Jeeps and a few lifted pickups and I'd say "Look around, I'm the biggest truck here by a long shot, who's going to pull me out if I get stuck". They'd still rag me about it but I knew better. Nothing worse than being stuck axle deep in mud and trying to daisy chain enough jeeps together to pull you out.

HanksDeuce

My ex bro-in-law would go down to the local 4wd hangout on the weekends and watch the big trucks play by the creek in the sand. He had a small 4wd Ranger. When one of the heavy trucks would get stuck they would approach him to get them out. He'd mention a price (case of beer), but if it sounded high they would just go away steaming. Almost 9 times out of 10 they would eventually come back and say they would take his offer. However, the offer had changed to a little more than a case of beer. I guess they should have taken his first offer? :D Bro-in-law said that Ranger was so light it would go darn near anywhere in that sand. He had a winch on the front too.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend is somewhat high in the department, and had asked me long before what it would take for me to help out. I told him-

I get deputized and only I drive.
I get to say if we go or don't into an area.
I get to fill up at the county pumps before, during, and after so I go home on a full tank.
I can bill the department for the material and time needed to preform PMCS after water fording, plus anything damaged or needing replacement.

When he called me to ask if I could come help during the flooding, he had the list (he had written it down at the time) and said the Sheriff agreed to all of it and would have something in writting stating that fact when I showed up to be deputized. According to my friend, the Sheriff said "its only money and lives might be saved." I wish I lived in that county so I could vote for that man...

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro - You are VERY wise and spot on. :) Your first point covers you under the department's liability insurance. Your second point prevents you, the rescuer, from becoming another person that needs to be rescued. I hope everyone that reads this thread will follow your list, and make sure that everything is in writing long before the waters rise or the trees topple.
:goodjob: [thumbzup]

rustystud

There is one thing that has not been mentioned about using our personal vehicles. As a mechanic I have bought my personal things (home, car, appliances, etc...) with my body. Now that I'm old the price has come due. So when someone says it is only a "thing" (my truck) that's not entirely true. It is my "sweat and blood" your looking at and if I lose it trying to help someone else then I loose part of myself that I cannot get back. My father was a carpenter most of his life, and he used his skill and body to buy his home and a life for his family. When he retired he used his house to pay for his care until he died. I'm in that same boat now. So if I loose something that I've paid for even helping others it is a part of me that is lost. If I was wealthy that would be another story, but like most everyone else in this world I'm not. So for anyone to look down on any of us for wanting assurance that our trucks will be taken care of even in the cause of helping others should rethink their ideas. For those who think I'm just a selfish ba$tard , if you donate like I do every month to charity then you can call me what you want.

JDToumanian

So it's flooding in Leesville? What about Ft. Polk, do you think my HEMTT is safe? I'm waiting on the EUC, picking it up probably first week of January.

Jon

Jeepsinker

So this came up again day before yesterday. I actually got three phone calls, then a deputy showed up asking for help. They lost a Hmmwv over in Merryville trying to get to some trapped people. I had the deuce and a 931A2 ready to go when the event Coordinator came over the radio saying to hold off because the National Guard had just shown up with... get this... two M35a2 trucks.

And I couldn't believe it, but they had agreed to pay for my fuel AND write a check to cover my asking price to service both trucks afterwards. Our Sheriff's department does take care of us.

CUCVLOVER

So this came up again day before yesterday. I actually got three phone calls, then a deputy showed up asking for help. They lost a Hmmwv over in Merryville trying to get to some trapped people. I had the deuce and a 931A2 ready to go when the event Coordinator came over the radio saying to hold off because the National Guard had just shown up with... get this... two M35a2 trucks.

And I couldn't believe it, but they had agreed to pay for my fuel AND write a check to cover my asking price to service both trucks afterwards. Our Sheriff's department does take care of us.
At least they would have covered your cost to service after deep water maneuvers.
So did they ask kindly or say hey get those trucks out here and work for us?

Also please define lost hummv?