• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft Clanking Sound

KsM715

That tube is hollow. There is nothing in there as others have stated. It's just acting as a amplifier for that sound coming from somewhere along the drive line. I would check for bad u-joints followed by loose bolts.

*edit* If there was something rattling around inside ( like broken loose weld boogers) it would sound different, like pieces rolling around not a solid clunk like it is.

Last edited:

rustystud

That is gear backlash noise ! After 35 years playing with drivetrains I know what I'm talking about. The driveline is hollow just like others have said. What is happening is it is amplifying the gear noise through the hollow shaft, just like others have said. The next step is to measure how much lash you have.

DeucesWild11

Do you see what I see…. Found it.. Now just need to order a new U joint.. You guys were right it wasn't inside but sure as heck sounded like it. It was the one connecting to the pumpkin on the rear diff. There is a little play in it which is causing the ping sound..

Attachments

M-1028

I had a terrible vibration at various speeds, ended up being both u joints on the front drive shaft. U joints are hard to diagnose, they can cause a number of different noises and vibrations.

DeucesWild11

Thank you again guys for your assistance and persistence in telling me to check EVERYTHING! U joint has been ordered and should be delivered by Friday thanks to Erik's. I'll post up a pic for a before and after. Weird how the driveshaft can reverberate a sound and make it sound like something else.

I do grease everything as much as I can. I think that drivetrain may have had some abuse in the past as the rear end needed to be replaced as well. She used to be a firetruck filled with water so allot of strain on the old girl I bet.

Woodsplinter

Do you see what I see…. Found it.. Now just need to order a new U joint.. You guys were right it wasn't inside but sure as heck sounded like it. It was the one connecting to the pumpkin on the rear diff. There is a little play in it which is causing the ping sound..
Thanks for letting us know what you found and taking a pic- that will be great information for others with similar problems!