• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft damage Poll

CUCV Forklift Damage

• DS Only

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • DS and Body

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • DS and TM

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters

Chief_919

then follow the instruction on GL. PREVIEW BEFORE YOU BID. its your own fault if you do not preview it. once they hit the spot where they take the photo then thats what you get. you are bending yourself over by buying sight unseen.
When they damage the equipment, it sells for less money.

That means less return to the taxpayers.

Regardless of our bidding, the fact is their abuse costs every taxpayer money.

AndrewH

I went to Ft Campbell to get two M1009s Both had DS damage, both had pass door and quarter damage. The only thing that saved one rear DS is that it was MISSING!

Totals:
2 doors
2 pass rear quarters
1 front DS
1 Rear DS
Andrew

D T

I have DS damage and a number of small forklift dents,and a whoping dent where the antenna mount got smashed flat and left a good sized dent,and marks from pushing the front of it with the fork lift,I always thought why dont they remove the driveshaft and throw it in the back or Build a jig that goes on the forks that fits the frame rails and doesnt do so much damage,everybody wins that way,as tax payers we are getting ripped off,more than buying a damaged truck

Alredneck

Banned
I put driveshaft and body. I have seen more damage on some trucks but D & B are the most common.

This is real common on the M880series and M1008 series due to drive shaft length. I have picked up a few M1009s with issues. You got to remember they are not getting paid to make sure your surplus property stays pristine! GL and GSA have the same issues.:deadhorse::shock:

plumnjoe

I got a M1008 a couple of months ago in Louisiana with a bent drive shaft, the usual drivers side body damage, and a cracked in half turbo 400! It still was able to drive as long as you could keep fluid in it! lol

AKM1008

my first m1008 no damage.... the second one has a bent rear driveshaft and the transmission busted in half. the oil pan is all thats holding it togeather. still it drove on and off the trailer!

5ton4ever

forklift damage

(1) crushed fuel tank and skid plate.(speared with forklift), bent rear bumper, bent driveline , dent in quarter panel and rt. fender, on m1009. :-x (2) bent driveline on dodge truck. :sad:(3) speared tailgate and rear of bed on back of deuce. :sad: That's just the obvious stuff. I am sure there is more. and the dead skunk under the seat on the m813a1 was just a freebie! [thumbzup]

markg

i got my last gl m1008 at camp beauregard in la. it had been under water in new orleans before i got it. the young sgt got stuck trying to get my truck out with the big fork lift they use. while he was gone to get his boss, i took my then straight drive shaft out of the truck before he got back. he came back with the sgt major, who proceeded to get on a bull dozer, pulled out the stuck forklift, then pushed everything in his way to the side , including some very straight m35's. that i think were allready sold. i could not bear to watch all the damage he did that day. he did not give a rip. once he made a clear path to my truck i winched it out myself. he couldnt believe that i was going to put the truck back on the road.

Hoolio

I got my M-1028A-1 With 2800 miles on it..Driveshaft was replaced before I bought it.Body sides and door were caved in
Hood was walked on and broke loose underneath..Last but not least, someone plopped their fat arse on the roof of the cab
and caved it in too...The people that do this carnage should be accountable for damages done to these units..Not to mention
the vehicles can bring more money if not vandalized as they are..This is why I chose to use this truck as an everyday driver.

14a46

I was up there today and while I was waiting to get in the holding yard a big rig came in with two pickup trucks on it. I strolled over to check them out while they were on the trailer.
Both had bent driveshafts (one slightly dinged and one FUBAR) the one with the slight ding had the obligatory FL dent right behind the door.
One of them was real rust bucket too. I would not buy an M 1008 or 1009 nowdays without seeing it in person.
They do have a loading dock in the rear now but if the truck won't slave off they unload it the hard way.
I did notice that the FL operator was careful not to get the forks into the sheet metal when he lifted the deuces up so the truck driver could drive out from under them.
Since these trucks have been moved several times it is hard to determine who the guilty party is as far as damage goes.
Let the buyer beware.[/QUOTE:?]

but are we alowed to see the truck before we win the auction or how that works???

cucv1833

Mine was missing 2 doors and the forklift hit the passinger quarter panel. Bent drive shaft.
but the truck was also sold as PARTS ONLY so. got new doors in the junk yard the truck is now running for the most part lol

usmcr55

I picked up an M1008 and M1009 from GL at Barstow, CA. in July of 2010. A GL person loaded the vehicles on a trailer for me, using a forklift. This person carefully blocked each vehicle so that the forklift was bearing only on the vehicle's frame. During my preview of these two vehicles (before bidding) I spoke to the GL Site Manager regarding the fact that the M1008 had a bent rear drive shaft. He informed me that they (GL Barstow) do what they can, but many of the vehicles they receive have forklift damage. So, where do they get damaged? I don't know, but I suspect a good place to start looking would be the poor GI that's told "Get all that junk out of here; I want it off my books yesterday! IMHO nothing will change because, for those who would have to make the change, there is no positive incentive. So, for those of us who buy this stuff, know what you are looking for and PREVIEW!!! If it's too far away to preview, then pass!
"Your results may vary"
Don AK6F

3dAngus

I've seen GL load Deuce's and CUCV's AFter the sale with a forklift. I was told by one operator that you should just "expect" to have damage underneath and he was discusted with it all, upset about the waste.

Damage to equipment is a management problem, NOT an operator problem. You complain for change. You don't get it, you change out the management and get better management. You don't get it, you change out the contractor.

Govt. contracts come and go. I can think of dozens of contractors out there that do the same thing as GL if GL doesn't "perform".

As for the military damage, prior to GL handling, nothing that can be done about that.
You would need a two star general in Logistics to fix that problem, but he would never get a third star if he put out a mandate to "cease and desist" with a war currently going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks