• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Convoy 2007

gasser

clinto said:
... Now, all you Ga. and SC. boys need to chime in here. I don't really wanna do 500+ miles in one day, but I also don't want the Southern portion to be a 3 day affair, either. That introduces all sorts of logistics issues like lodging, sanitation, etc., into the fray and additonal costs (potentially-hotel, etc.). ...
Clinto, your plan sounds good to me. That is similar to what I did last year. I ran an average of 55-60MPH. I would rather leave Wednesday morning from your starting point. Just my 2cents.

-graham

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK boys, here’s the plan for us Ga. Guys:

We’re going to depart from the Flying J truck stop at Insterstate 85 and Exit 147. I figure on a meeting time of 0600 and a departure time of 0630. That gives us 30 minutes to fuel up, do final checks, have some breakfast if so desired, take pics and shoot the breeze.

Here is some info about our Departure point:

Flying J truck Stop
I-85 @ Exit 147
4855 Maysville Road
Commerce, Ga.

Then, we’re going to run Red Ball style to Greensboro, NC. There, we will meet up with AM General and anyone else running the Western North Carolina portion. We should be able to meet with him by 1430 hours, at which point the show transfers to him.

Here is some info about the Greensboro meeting point:

Travel Center Truck Stop
1101 North Carolina Hwy. 61
Winston NC.

And here is a map for our trip:

http://shortlinks.net/8z7u6o

Then, AM General is going to run us all up to the Chex Truck stop in Henderson, NC., where we will pick up more participants.

Here is some info about the Henderson meeting point:

Chex truck stop
256 Fleming road
Henderson, NC.

I believe from this point, Garbee will lead us to Doswell, Va., for an over night stay. The next day, we will leave out in the morning for the final leg to Aberdeen. Keep in mind, you will need to make accomodations for the overnight stay in Doswell.

CGarbee

clinto said:
I believe from this point, Garbee will lead us to Doswell, Va., for an over night stay. The next day, we will leave out in the morning for the final leg to Aberdeen. Keep in mind, you will need to make accomodations for the overnight stay in Doswell.
That's a ROGER...

BTW: The hotel in Doswell has a pretty decent Denny's that we tend to patronize...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will probably meet you guys in Doswell with a friend of mine. It's a 2-hour drive SE from where we are, but it will give us a chance to iron out any problems with our rigs en route. Plus, we get the bonus of convoying north with a bunch of great fellas...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What time are you guys planning on for breakfast at Denny's and what time will we be pulling out of Doswell? I will be making the trip up from Franklin that morning. It's about a 2 hour shot from here. It should be interesting to see how many commuters I can scare on I-95 with the 923A2 ;)

CGarbee

We will meet at the All American Plaza (Texaco) at 8:00AM and will depart at 8:30.
Truck stop is on Route 30 just off I95 next to the Best Western, phone number is: 804-798-8008

Bassically, those of us who have spent the night roll out, eat at Denny's, cross the street to the truckstop, grab the folks who have ridden up that morning, and then run up US301 toward Maryland (avoid the DC area fun on the way up, enjoy the trees as we ride up past AP Hill and Dahlgreen).

I suspect that I will be sitting at my table in Denny's by 7:00AM...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ferroequinologist said:
Hey Chris,
I'll ride up with you from Norfolk to Doswell that morning if thats ok.
Sounds good Adam. I usually take 35 from Franklin to 95 just south of Petersburg. It's a nice 2 lane farm country road that parallels 460. It's 55mph like 460, but no traffic lights! Then, we can hit 95 the rest of the way. We should prolly allow about 2.5 +/- hours to get to Doswell. Mapquest says 2 hours, but that's at car speed, not deuce speed.

I haven't talked to Blake to see which way he is going, but maybe he'll join us too. How 'bout it Blake?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When will you all hit Baltimore? I would love to tail end into the last leg it is so close I don't know if I will hit operating temp or not depending on how warm the May day is. I have been working on the M52 and don't know if I will have that ready or not but the duece and CUCV are ready and raring to go. Woo Hoo

CGarbee

We run up from Doswell to Millersville (Transit Truck stop on Veterans' Highway), then up to Baltimore (run through the Harbor Tunnel), then up to Aberdeen.

Times for these stops are:
Arrive Millersvill at 11:30AM
Arrive at the Harbor Tunnel tolls (south side of the tunnel) at 12:45
Arrive in Aberdeen about 1:30 at Ollies...

In past years, I've had a group from Catonsville, MD, and that met at one gentleman's house. I called them on the cell phone when the convoy crossed the Harry Nice bridge over the Potomac, and they headed out to the Transit from his place. I can do the same for you if you want to time it to a given point on the route and tuck into line so that you can avoid spending too much time on the shoulder waiting for us...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Will this be on Thurdays or Wednesday of the week just want to make sure but I would be waiting on the side at the northern intersection of 695 and 95 since I live not too far from there. I will PM you my cell phone for the contact.

Thanks this sounds like so much fun

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks