• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

East Coast Convoy 2007

CGarbee

I think that Kenny and I were thinking that the back road route was still better than trying to keep everybody together through the construction/traffic in the DC area even though we have a lot more stoplights to contend with each year when we get into MD on US301...

So, right now, same route as last couple of years.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're thinking of convoying up Rt 1 in VA or MD 301, forget it. Too many lights, too much traffic on the weekdays, too much construction. You'll get migranes trying to keep everyone together. Interstates are where its at.

CGarbee

We have been using US301 up through AP Hill to the Harry Nice Bridge accross the Potomac to MD3. Haven't had problems keeping folks together, but the route has been growing stoplights north of the Bridge...

Running up I95 through DC adds quite a bit of congestion to deal with...

I'm not adverse to running up I95 all the way (well, taking the loops around DC and Baltimore of course...), part of the reason behind running up to the Nice Bridge asside from avoiding traffic around DC was to let us pick up folks in the Annapolis area. It also helped the timming for the meetup with the Northern (and now Western) Serials in Aberdeen before we have the massed convoy into the rally site.

It actually is Kenny's decision since he is our Yellow Serial Commander.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the traffic lights are a growing concern as is the size of the Yellow Serial. While I really like the scenery up through the hillsides, I'm becoming increasingly concerned with doing it with the larger Serial. We ma have 25 or more vehicles in this portion of the convoy. I'm not real familiar with the area but am leaning hard towards the interstate. Does anyone want to inject more comments to help sway the decision?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote for the back roads. One reason is potential for breakdowns and the then relatively easy pulling over off the rightaway. One truck may be okay, but a dozen?

If sombody misses an exit in traffic on the freeway that person may have one heck of time getting back in the convoy if at all. when other drivers get in front of you, it's sometimes hard to follow the leader.

We dealt with the traffic lights before simply by pulling over and waiting for the guys who had to stop.

The interstate is fine in rural areas for our convoy, but the DC area! Don't like the idea.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would run I 495 past Andrews AFB, up to I 95 to the tunnel. Just my 2 cents but I drive the area every day and the highways all have shoulders when the side roads do not always have room to pull over the whole serial.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I've got a few questions for some of the GA contingent. When will you folks be departing? Anyone plan on making it home by Sunday night? As it looks now, I'll need to go to Americus GA after leaving Aberdeen. Would love to make Atlanta by nightfall. I'm trying to plan the logistics of another mission after Aberdeen and looking for some direction.

gasser

Recovry4x4 said:
OK, I've got a few questions for some of the GA contingent. When will you folks be departing? Anyone plan on making it home by Sunday night? As it looks now, I'll need to go to Americus GA after leaving Aberdeen. Would love to make Atlanta by nightfall. I'm trying to plan the logistics of another mission after Aberdeen and looking for some direction.
From Clinto's last post:
We’re going to depart from the Flying J truck stop at Insterstate 85 and Exit 147. I figure on a meeting time of 0600 and a departure time of 0630. That gives us 30 minutes to fuel up, do final checks, have some breakfast if so desired, take pics and shoot the breeze.

This is still the plan. I too have to be back by Sunday evening; I was thinking about departing Aberdeen Saturday early afternoon.

CGarbee

Recovry4x4 said:
My plans are to depart Aberdeen for the run home on Sunday morning. Saturday night is pretty much deserted, but those few that are left have a very relaxed time socializing... :)
I've got to run over and pick up a hardtop for a M37 at some point during the weekend and will likely do it Sunday on the way home... It's in Hollywood, MD I think...

Not that I'm part of the GA contingent... I just thought that I would toss it out for the rest of the crowd...

Swede

Sorry fellas for the intrusion. Where is the final destination for this. And what Date and time. I'm in PA wouldnt mind trying to Stop by to see how it is going.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure exactly when I'll depart, I'm working on logistics. I do know that I have to be in Americus GA first thing on Monday morning.

CGarbee

Swede said:
Sorry fellas for the intrusion. Where is the final destination for this. And what Date and time. I'm in PA wouldnt mind trying to Stop by to see how it is going.

The East Coast Convoy is going to the Aberdeen MV Rally held at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, MD. It is a huge MV rally with lots of vendors, lots of vehicles, and a lot of Steelsoldiers...

I'm cooking Eastern NC style BBQ for the Convoy folks (all you have to have is a 2007 convoy t-shirt for admission, we'll have extra shirts on hand at the start of the food line...). Think about comming in at least for Friday supper...

Website for the rally is:
http://www.wacbgmvt.org/ecr/index.html

Hope that you can make it.

Swede

I will most likely be there. I would like to meet some of you fellas, and well Food is always a good lure. I will have to log those dates on the calender.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, you have a plan yet for the trip back?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, tanatively, yes. Going to bug out from the rally around noon on Sat and get as far as I can. Sunday finish up my drive to Americus and get loaded up there. Monday I'll shoot up to Memphis and unload and start headed back. Should be home by Wed eve.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kenny that sounds like a trip that needs to be ringed in prayer with the long miles on old chassis and driver. you know we will keep all the travelers in our prayers and that this should be a great Aberdeen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks