• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO DIRECT DRIVE HUBS

Korade

Just finished the install and testing of the Eco Hubs on our '97 M1078 A0. Right in line with comments others have made, yes I do have tire noise, yes we can carry on a conversation at 65mph, and darn, above 65 I'll need to balance the tires now. As to performance, going up highway hills in the area that pushing 55 would kick the fan on now at 65 barely moved the needle up and it was 10 degrees hotter (88) today. Pushing the pedal down gives a nice solid down shift and the engine has plenty of RPM left to accelerate. From 0-55 originally the truck would start slow until the turbo started to spool and we would get a hard push that died out as the rpms increased then a shift at the top of the rpm range for each gear. Now same slow roll from a stop but when the turbo spools up the push is smoother and the shifting happens lower in the rpm band and it keeps pushing all the way up to speed. Truck does not seem to be working hard, just moving along. Overall in my opinion this is one of the best bang for the buck modifications for these trucks. And my spouse does not wear earplugs in the truck now !!

Duffysguns

Just finished the install and testing of the Eco Hubs on our '97 M1078 A0. Right in line with comments others have made, yes I do have tire noise, yes we can carry on a conversation at 65mph, and darn, above 65 I'll need to balance the tires now. As to performance, going up highway hills in the area that pushing 55 would kick the fan on now at 65 barely moved the needle up and it was 10 degrees hotter (88) today. Pushing the pedal down gives a nice solid down shift and the engine has plenty of RPM left to accelerate. From 0-55 originally the truck would start slow until the turbo started to spool and we would get a hard push that died out as the rpms increased then a shift at the top of the rpm range for each gear. Now same slow roll from a stop but when the turbo spools up the push is smoother and the shifting happens lower in the rpm band and it keeps pushing all the way up to speed. Truck does not seem to be working hard, just moving along. Overall in my opinion this is one of the best bang for the buck modifications for these trucks. And my spouse does not wear earplugs in the truck now !!
I have had the same results great mod, Got up to 70 no problem except for tire balance, 60 still smooth as I creep up from 60 I can feel the tires start to shake the truck. I can't decide how I want to go with balancing two ways I have read up on are beads or antifreeze .

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done two sets balanced with Antifreeze, first the original G/Y and now my ORDs. ONLY drawback is you will loose it, if you air up/down a lot. I don't, so tires stay good for several years at least.
I have had the same results great mod, Got up to 70 no problem except for tire balance, 60 still smooth as I creep up from 60 I can feel the tires start to shake the truck. I can't decide how I want to go with balancing two ways I have read up on are beads or antifreeze .

Duffysguns

I have done two sets balanced with Antifreeze, first the original G/Y and now my ORDs. ONLY drawback is you will loose it, if you air up/down a lot. I don't, so tires stay good for several years at least.
[/QUO

How much antifreeze did you use per tire?

93fd3s

I’d say that your pre-mod description of the operation of the truck matches my ‘96 A0 1078 to a tee…hopefully my post installation experience will match yours 👍👍

DND Racing

Availability to be announced. First 10 sets will be ready soon. Tested on M1078 will fit others also.
At the request of moderators please use this thread for sales related questions. Let me know if you have interest
in a set by posting here . Thank you!
Hello, I am am interested in purchasing a set of your direct drive hubs for my LMTV. Do you still have any available from your first run? Please advise on the proper way to get this done. (New member)

Republicrat

I have done the install as well. The results on my 1083 are good - FAR less noise, trans shifts much better, truck can now run down the road at 65 comfortably and on level ground my foot is barely pressing the throttle. Wife doesn't have to shout.

Install took maybe 8 hrs after I got going on it. I strayed from the instructions a bit and made my life easier.
I jacked up the wheel with a bottle jack under the axle housing so most of the oil would run the other way. (Thanks to Mike Moffet for that suggestion) Then I used Glad Press-n-Seal wrapped around the bottom of the hub and jammed in the crack with a putty knife, layed down the wheel and tire and into a mortor tub I got from Lowes. See photos below. All the mess went into the tub; almost nothing anywhere else. With the wheel jacked up almost no oil comes out.

Jacking it up also allows you to check for loose wheel bearings, and allows you to turn the wheel to align bolt holes.
Also, I ran a tap into most of the threads and found a surprising amount of sh!t was caked in those bolt holes. Tap was the only thing that would clean it out.

Attachments

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
I have done the install as well. The results on my 1083 are good - FAR less noise, trans shifts much better, truck can now run down the road at 65 comfortably and on level ground my foot is barely pressing the throttle. Wife doesn't have to shout.

Install took maybe 8 hrs after I got going on it. I strayed from the instructions a bit and made my life easier.
I jacked up the wheel with a bottle jack under the axle housing so most of the oil would run the other way. (Thanks to Mike Moffet for that suggestion) Then I used Glad Press-n-Seal wrapped around the bottom of the hub and jammed in the crack with a putty knife, layed down the wheel and tire and into a mortor tub I got from Lowes. See photos below. All the mess went into the tub; almost nothing anywhere else. With the wheel jacked up almost no oil comes out.

Jacking it up also allows you to check for loose wheel bearings, and allows you to turn the wheel to align bolt holes.
Also, I ran a tap into most of the threads and found a surprising amount of sh!t was caked in those bolt holes. Tap was the only thing that would clean it out.
Nice job! I can’t stress enough how important it is to clean the threaded holes. Nice idea on the plastic Press n seal.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter

do you recall the tap size ?

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks