• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric winch on deuce

rustystud

you can control the heat with snatch blocks by reducing the load and draw off the batteries, if the 18k warn works on a mrap it'll work on my much lighter deuce, only drawback i could find when winch swapping was it "only" has 75' of cable that could reduce the amount of real estate for snatch blocks if a close anchor is not handy, so when rigged up ill have a couple lengths of cable along
I have four 25ft lengths of 3/8" Grade 70 chain I keep in a bucket. Each length has it's own hooks installed so I get gang them together for another 100ft if needed. I also have three snatch blocks so I can get down and dirty. I suppose I should also carry some 100ft of cable with ends on too. That way they can help with the snatch blocks.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I would have thought you already would have the cable to extend you winch cable, I would think its lighter than chain?

Oh and have you tried how long your electric winch will run on just the batterys alone under load?

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

I would have thought you already would have the cable to extend you winch cable, I would think its lighter than chain?

Oh and have you tried how long your electric winch will run on just the batterys alone under load?

Aussie.
I like having the chain as it is stronger then the cable and it can go around rocks and such without getting damaged. I have used the winch with the engine off just to see. I never let it go till the batteries ran out of charge though. Basically with my two batteries at full charge I could get myself out of a pretty nasty hole. I have about 10 full minutes of use. Maybe a little more. Since you never just hold it down for that long I have plenty of spare time available. During the average "extraction" you only use the winch for a few minutes total. Most of the time is set-up, pull a little and then reset again. The longest time I ever used a winch was trying to move a 5 ton dump truck with four flat tires with a 8,000 Ibs WARN winch across a flooded field. That took four hours with two snatch blocks and 50ft of chain ! In the Marines I could extract a stuck fully loaded 5 ton truck in less then a hour with the 5 ton wrecker. If I had the M88 tank retriever it would be less ! Of course I would also have the help of a fully trained crew.

Last edited:

speedfellon

View attachment 727495 This M35A2 with an electric winch belongs to Steel Soldier speedfellon. Just took this pic last week in Petaluma. Not sure who the manufacturer is or how well it works. But maybe he'll chip in with the details.
18K Warn Industrial. Works great only 65' of cable. but I carry a 20' cable off a tank and a snatch block for added length. Usually just pull trees around property. Not paying attention once I pulled cable completely off winch. my other 8K warn has 150' cable. wont make that mistake again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks