• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

joec

gimpyrobb said:
Why would you say a hydraulic is better than a pto gear? Agian this is just my opinion, but the chance of busting a hose either from pressure or getting it snagged, seems to me as a liability. Just looking for others insight that I hadn't thought about, not being argumentative.
Just my point of view. On all recovery vehicles from a 1 ton to a Tank retriever..MAIN SUPPLY OF POWER IS HYDRAULIC! i'VE DONE ALOT OF RECOVERY'S IN MY LIFE.
From roadside to turnpike. Flipped trucks and all all the vehicles were hydraulic. Cranes from 10 ton to 600ton ...all hydraulic. The recovery are pto , smaller ones. But there is nothing winch wise better then a hydraulic. Just my opionion...it's cool to get everybody's different views. Diversity is the best thing. I am planning on putting a hydro on the rear of my deuce. Now the 10t tank hauler is a wicked setup. We used a Osh-Kosh chain drives ww2 stuff for some big stuff. We used to haul a D8 Cat to anchor it to. Even with the spoons dug in it would still drag. So i mounted a blade off of a D6 on the back so it could dig in. Heavey sucker .

We would haul that .that was repowered with a 400 Cummins. But in a nutshell hyraulic is better. Now the garwood on the front of the deuce. anyone will tell you you need 2 people. Cause one it's engaged your not poppin it out. Plus variable speed on pto is key also. Electric are a good alternative if you have either pto or hydraulic.
Just my .02c..

Alot of the conventional cranes are clutch with gear.
you can say somewhat that hydraulic is pto other then diret to power

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure one is better than the other! Each offer certain advantages. Winches in fixed locations are doable in PTO format and little can go wrong with them however winches of booms that move just have to be hydraulic.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hydraulic system adds flexibility. One PTO can deliver power to a crane, winch, snow plow, wood splitter etc, regardless of where they are located.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is a huge advantage to a hydraulic system. I doubt that that the hydraulic or pto winch can outwork each other but you can't match the flexibility of fluid power.

Jake0147

An electric winch can safely draw whatever the batteries can provide. That allows the charging system to catch up in it's own time. This WILL give you a duty cycle for the winch, but if it's given that the wires from the battery to the winch are adequately sized, you'll burn up the winch motor from running at too low of a voltage or solenoids will give out before you burn up anything on the truck. Lots and lots of heavy use will take a toll on the life expectancy of the batteries. Occasional use, and use mindful of the design makes the charging system work for it's keep, but doesn't really work it beyond it's ability. They're absolutely not designed for all day, every day type of use.

Hydraulic hoses are tough. I wouldn't shy away from a hydraulic winch because I had to string two hoses. Assuming you go with a commercial grade good quality hose from a known maker, they're tougher than wires ever dreamed of being, and much less chance of burning your truck to the ground if one chaffes through or gets pulled out of place. There's a lot of benefits and drawbacks to any kind of winch you can find, but having experienced many (not all), I certainly wouldn't use the addition of the hoses as a deciding factor.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, keep an eye on it. There is someone here who just posted he has them for 800. If it gets over 800.00 stop bidding.

tm america

i have read this thread and dont see how a 17500lb winch can have a 7/16 cable when the stock deuce cable is 1/2 inch and thats only a 10000lb winch.there is a diference between winch rating and line pull rating .the deuce winch has a 10000lb line pull and most of the 10000lb eletric winches i have seen only have a 4000-4500lb line pull rating.they ussually have a 3/8 95 -100ft cable which means you need to use at least one snatch block to get the same line pull as the deuce winch and you need at least one snatch block to pull a deuce out withthe stock winch.so with a 10000lb electric winch you will need two or three snatch blocks to pull a 14000lb deuce out that is not even stuck that bad .if you figure every snatch block cuts the cable lenght in half you will end up with about 15-19 ft of usable cable length with the snatch blocks needed.how much good does a 15ft long cable do you when you are stuck most of the time.when i had my deuce stuck at haspin it took three dueces with snatch blocks to pull me out or 60000lbs of line pull how ever you want to look at it:wink:

DanMartin

IMO most of the military ratings are about 50% those of consumer grade stuff. I mean...clearly the deuce can carry more than 5K offroad, and 10K on-road. It's been demonstrated. The winch is no different. It's "10K" rating is pretty safe. It's easily 2x that in real life with the proper shearpins and use of the winch itself (there's vids on this site of deuces pulling loaded semis out of the snow).

Think of the ratings of these trucks as what you can count on the truck to acutally do if your life depended on it...because these trucks are used in situations where this is the case more often than not (combat). The consumer grade stuff is rated to make it look as appealing as possible to the average Joe...so the ratings are typically higer (to the point of absurdity in many cases).

The deuce is not a super-truck, but clearly it can pull more than 10K on the winch...even at 3rd or 4th drum layer pulling. If you need more, carry a snatch block set with you and compound it up. The 1/2" cable has about a 21.4K nominal breaking strength (6x19 fiber core, IPS) and the cable ends are rated to 25K IIRC.

Last edited:

rizzo

TM i do believe that the electric winches are rated by a different system than the military winches.

any updates on how this winch works? Did it pull you out in your avatar pic?

Nice looking install. :)

tm america

i seriously doupt the truck in his avatar was pulled out with that winch i had my truck equally stuck it took a 12000lb electric winch with two snatch blocks a tri axle sitting on pavement and a chevy truck hitting me like crazy to get me out

Attachments