• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine alternatives for the deuce?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is is good. I bought a Deuce to do a job. There is only one truck that has but one fuse, no electronics, will burn most anything, and always starts. There is nothing that will shut it off except lack of fuel or air.
It was not expensive and never let me down.
The shaper was over 7500 lbs. Driving tons load around was fun.
I wouldn't change a thing. If I wanted another kind of engine transmission I would buy another kind of truck. Raptors go fast.
shaper on truck two.jpg

truck IMG_9830.jpg

Last edited:

M35a2duece

This is is good. I bought a Deuce to do a job. There is only one truck that has but one fuse, no electronics, will burn most anything, and always starts. There is nothing that will shut it off except lack of fuel or air.
It was not expensive and never let me down.
The shaper was over 7500 lbs. Driving tons load around was fun.
I wouldn't change a thing. If I wanted another kind of engine transmission I would buy another kind of truck. Raptors go fast.
View attachment 716352

View attachment 716353
Yes! Multifuel is good.

M35a2duece

I think there all great ideas. It just depends what you really want to do with your truck. To me, I don't use it allot. It's just for fun. I don't need hp mileage or speed. To the OP his engine choice will depend on his goals.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with multifuel per se except they're about 50HP too short for best all around use,
mileage, and strain. OK if going to use to just convey at 40MPH on not too hilly roads.
This all boils down to how much of a hurry you're in. I've taken my deuce over mountain passes 5 times (paved highway). At one point I had to shift down into 3rd, but I still got where I was going.

BinderDan

Detroit Diesel 2-stroke engine swap?

I want to see someone do a 2-stroke detroit swap (particularly a 6V-71, 6V-71T, 6-71T, or 6V-92T). I have thaught long and hard about one, the only thing I lack is a garage and funding. It would require a significant amount of mods, I know, and may not be much of an upgrade, but I would think it would be pretty slick and nasty. Plus there are aftermarket options to add power/torque/economy, allthough not as widely available. The other thing that stops me is that whole handy little multifuel thing. I like being able to run different stuff through my motor (it's a miricle I haven't melted it yet!), and it's fun finding new stuff to run in it. Don't worry, I know all the cautionary details about Running different fuels, I thaught I might as well say that before someone lights me on fire for saying it.
A two cycle Detroit will run on almost anything but straight gasoline or gungrease, I would steer clear of the 71 series engines and go for 6v53 myself 300hp andmuch lighter with 2750rated rpm

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Deuce multifuel good all over the world,
temperature extremes to the normal.
Built to tow a field piece and all the ammo across plowed fields the wrong way.

They were there when We needed.
Seen a good running multifuel engine today for $1800
Try that with your Z28 or Coyote or Hemi.

In a conflict it is not about how freaking fast one can go on highways,
It is about geting there and back at troop jogging speed with anything they may need.

The Koreans kept and refurbished and improved everything We left there.
Like to have one of them.

davidb56

IF I were to do a swap, I'd likely go with a DT466 and a 5 or s speed transmission.....whatever one was already mated to the engine. Moving stuff around to make it fit isn't too much of a task for me. I would also use the power steering pump and hydro boost brakes from the donor. Almost all my driving is off road, so Im not particular on a overdrive top gear.

74M35A2

I have a DT466E fully complete on a run stand for cheap if anybody is serious on that motor. Can demo it to start and run. Is electronic, all self contained, variable turbo. You just replace your accel pedal with electronic one. There is a cult following for these engines, although I think more for the mechanical injected ones due to the HP they can take and hold, easily. Common school bus engine.

Miketlane

IF I were to do a swap, I'd likely go with a DT466 and a 5 or s speed transmission.....whatever one was already mated to the engine. Moving stuff around to make it fit isn't too much of a task for me. I would also use the power steering pump and hydro boost brakes from the donor. Almost all my driving is off road, so Im not particular on a overdrive top gear.
im planning to do this same swap, i have a bus with a DT466 and allison auto. im planning to run them both. i plan to swap next year. any progress on yours? Email me id like so swap ideas and issues. seemes nobody here has done it and all the pages about it just end off topic. mk_lane@yahoo,com

davidb56

I have to wait until mine detonates before I replace it.
I see you're 130 miles away approx. Thats pretty close for another member. My plan was to pull the engine/transmission, then hang the dt466 engine transmission in place and build the mounts. Fabrication is the easy part. its usually the plumbing that becomes a PITA. from other swaps I did. I put a 302 in a Mercedes sl350 once. drive shaft was the big issue.

Senderofan

Deuce multifuel good all over the world,
temperature extremes to the normal.

They were there when We needed.
Seen a good running multifuel engine today for $1800
Try that with your Z28 or Coyote or Hemi.

In a conflict it is not about how freaking fast one can go on highways,
It is about geting there and back at troop jogging speed with anything they may need.

The Koreans kept and refurbished and improved everything We left there.
Like to have one of them.
So.....how does a coyote engine or hemi equate to a multi fuel MV engine?? Thats comparing apples to banana cream pie!

I have a Roadrunner version of the coyote and I also have a 6.2 liter supercharged HellCat. I would never compare them to any of my diesel vehicles. Both require high octane gasoline........neither have been advertised as running on anything other than high octane gas.

I have seen folks talk about running either platform on “Moonshine” E 85..........but nothing close to diesel, kerosene or French fry oil.

Miketlane

I have to wait until mine detonates before I replace it.
I see you're 130 miles away approx. Thats pretty close for another member. My plan was to pull the engine/transmission, then hang the dt466 engine transmission in place and build the mounts. Fabrication is the easy part. its usually the plumbing that becomes a PITA. from other swaps I did. I put a 302 in a Mercedes sl350 once. drive shaft was the big issue.
mine is a gas so i dont mind pulling now. im gonna do it once i have everything ready. im a welder and have a small fab shop in my garage so i can handle making mounts and cutting floors if need be. ill move it back to make room if i gotta. i put a 302 in a toyota pickup haha. i plan to use the allison auto too. yeah im in Spokane, im surprised how many NW members there are. im gonna have to get in on some trail camping

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really think it depends on what you want to use your truck for. Those of us that live in the West are usually not far from help in some fashion, even a tow truck that can tow a deuce if necessary.

Also, my deuce is slowly moving away from the original in many ways, everyone's got their own ideas and what works for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks