• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Bay Platform for your CUCV - Tip

Jake59

Just a little helpful tip.
I built myself a light platform in rectangular tube with some scrap light square tubing and left over pieces of deck board, to fit onto any CUCV.
This makes it a lot easier to work in the engine bay, even more with lift kits and/or oversize tires.
The rectangular tubes are chosen to snugly fit over the shackle tubes and have been trimmed to reduce weight. I drilled a 1" hole to fit a locking pin through; otherwise the platform will slide off with you on it... ask me how I know... :cry:
There are 2 slide-down handles made of some #3 rebar bent in a U-shape with a nut welded to the ends of it, which you can see sticking out below the platform; to easily hold, lift and slide on/off the platform after the pins are pulled out. The handles are the 2 white lines you can see in the cut-out rectangular tubes.
As you can see, this is as wide as the CUCV, the slide-on tubes are 18" long with a walking depth of nearly 15", total weight about 25 LBS.
This setup really helps a lot when working on my CUCV... the older I get the more I appreciate this helper... :sneaky:

Cheers,
JakeCUCV platform.jpeg

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of months ago I decided to make some stools for my workshop. At first I made the tall ones. Great for sitting at the blasting cabinet or welding table and also serve as small portable tables/stands.

Then when working on my friend's M1008 (3" body lift) I decided we needed some short ones. Those are also multi-purpose as you can see from the pictures.

IMG-20210330-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20210317-WA0015.jpeg IMG-20210524-WA0014.jpeg IMG-20210407-WA0003.jpeg

If you have some scrap steel and a welder, these make life a lot easier. Fun fact is, those are designer items over here. Some stores sell similar stools, although painted and with oak tops for around 200 euros...

Last edited:

Keith_J

Neat. I bought a tire step for side access, also works for upper cabinets on the SECM body over the rear wheels.
Guess I will have to measure for the frame extensions and make my own. Also would make a handy work bench.

Jake59

Neat. I bought a tire step for side access, also works for upper cabinets on the SECM body over the rear wheels.
Guess I will have to measure for the frame extensions and make my own. Also would make a handy work bench.
Absolutely! Used it numerous times as tools and parts rack, work bench, "take a break, relax and sit in the sun" or "talk cars with the neighbors"-bench, ...
:cool:

Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks