• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Bay Platform for your CUCV - Tip

Jake59

Just a little helpful tip.
I built myself a light platform in rectangular tube with some scrap light square tubing and left over pieces of deck board, to fit onto any CUCV.
This makes it a lot easier to work in the engine bay, even more with lift kits and/or oversize tires.
The rectangular tubes are chosen to snugly fit over the shackle tubes and have been trimmed to reduce weight. I drilled a 1" hole to fit a locking pin through; otherwise the platform will slide off with you on it... ask me how I know... :cry:
There are 2 slide-down handles made of some #3 rebar bent in a U-shape with a nut welded to the ends of it, which you can see sticking out below the platform; to easily hold, lift and slide on/off the platform after the pins are pulled out. The handles are the 2 white lines you can see in the cut-out rectangular tubes.
As you can see, this is as wide as the CUCV, the slide-on tubes are 18" long with a walking depth of nearly 15", total weight about 25 LBS.
This setup really helps a lot when working on my CUCV... the older I get the more I appreciate this helper... :sneaky:

Cheers,
JakeCUCV platform.jpeg

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of months ago I decided to make some stools for my workshop. At first I made the tall ones. Great for sitting at the blasting cabinet or welding table and also serve as small portable tables/stands.

Then when working on my friend's M1008 (3" body lift) I decided we needed some short ones. Those are also multi-purpose as you can see from the pictures.

IMG-20210330-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20210317-WA0015.jpeg IMG-20210524-WA0014.jpeg IMG-20210407-WA0003.jpeg

If you have some scrap steel and a welder, these make life a lot easier. Fun fact is, those are designer items over here. Some stores sell similar stools, although painted and with oak tops for around 200 euros...

Last edited:

Keith_J

Neat. I bought a tire step for side access, also works for upper cabinets on the SECM body over the rear wheels.
Guess I will have to measure for the frame extensions and make my own. Also would make a handy work bench.

Jake59

Neat. I bought a tire step for side access, also works for upper cabinets on the SECM body over the rear wheels.
Guess I will have to measure for the frame extensions and make my own. Also would make a handy work bench.
Absolutely! Used it numerous times as tools and parts rack, work bench, "take a break, relax and sit in the sun" or "talk cars with the neighbors"-bench, ...
:cool:

Jake