• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine repair or swap to LDS?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More good news! Front 3 pistons are all in spec.

Going to break down the heads and take them in for vatting, magnaflux, resurfacing .001", etc.

What valve spring compressor does everyone recommend? Most seem to be for small motors

DaneGer21

More good news! Front 3 pistons are all in spec.

Going to break down the heads and take them in for vatting, magnaflux, resurfacing .001", etc.

What valve spring compressor does everyone recommend? Most seem to be for small motors
Hopefully a resurface of .001 would be awesome/ideal; fingers crossed!

Make sure they note how much material it actual takes!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully a resurface of .001 would be awesome/ideal; fingers crossed!

Make sure they note how much material it actual takes!
I checked it with a straight edge, and it looks flat, but we'll see. Seems as I remember .005 is the limit and I see no marking indicating it was previously machined.

Gypsyman

If this hasn't already been posted it's an old thread and a long read but lots of great information.

Welder1

I checked it with a straight edge, and it looks flat, but we'll see. Seems as I remember .005 is the limit and I see no marking indicating it was previously machined.
I would not get too concerned about the .005" limit. Focus on getting the seal area for the combustion chamber to clean up. The last set I had done we took off .010" didn't cause any issues. The valves still had some recess.

Eddie

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this hasn't already been posted it's an old thread and a long read but lots of great information.

Thanks. TONS of info. So many opinions that at present after I get the heads done I will replace the intake rockers as consensus seems this is a big part of the increased power. I'm not trying to build a screamer deuce, just more power for the hills and lower EGT. I will also change the air cleaner to either an A3 or 5 ton. Injectors are 2 hole and tested "like new" they said.
My first deuce so all suggestions appreciated!

DaneGer21

Thanks. TONS of info. So many opinions that at present after I get the heads done I will replace the intake rockers as consensus seems this is a big part of the increased power. I'm not trying to build a screamer deuce, just more power for the hills and lower EGT. I will also change the air cleaner to either an A3 or 5 ton. Injectors are 2 hole and tested "like new" they said.
My first deuce so all suggestions appreciated!
Where are people finding the rockers? Just curious

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got the valves out and will be taking the heads in soon for magnaflux, vatting and resurfacing.
The back side of my intake valves have heavy carbon deposits on them. Since the only let in air from the turbo where are the deposits coming from? Exhaust is clean. All are the same.
Last valve job I did was about 1968 on a '62 Buick. Had nothing like this.

6071A2B6-8CE7-4A52-A4AE-2754608D477D.jpegB8E73397-E627-47E8-A1CE-BFAB32777A4D.jpeg

Probably should have thought this trough a little more before posting. Worn valve guides letting oil in? Intake would let it in, exhaust would blow it out.

rustystud

Ok got the valves out and will be taking the heads in soon for magnaflux, vatting and resurfacing.
The back side of my intake valves have heavy carbon deposits on them. Since the only let in air from the turbo where are the deposits coming from? Exhaust is clean. All are the same.
Last valve job I did was about 1968 on a '62 Buick. Had nothing like this.

View attachment 876452View attachment 876453

Probably should have thought this trough a little more before posting. Worn valve guides letting oil in? Intake would let it in, exhaust would blow it out.
Your correct about the valve guides letting in oil. That is the classic look of leaking valve guides. Remember it's hot in that engine, so any oil will immediately start to "cake" on any surface it is not removed from. Since only air is coming in from the intake valve it will not remove the caked-on oil.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your correct about the valve guides letting in oil. That is the classic look of leaking valve guides. Remember it's hot in that engine, so any oil will immediately start to "cake" on any surface it is not removed from. Since only air is coming in from the intake valve it will not remove the caked-on oil.
Since the exhaust is clean would you recommend only replacing the intake guides? Intake valve stems are close to the limit so I was planning on reusing them. I don't have a .0001 mic so not certain how close. Bad idea?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my rockers orders; but man, the valve cover gaskets caught me by surprise $$$! Haha
I'll be interested to hear how they worked out for you, power wise. It will be a few weeks before I order mine. Have to finish everything else to spread out my funds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks