• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shut down while driving

bgekky3

While driving downt the road at 50 mph the engine shut down like the fuel was cut off. After inspection through the oil fill cap, the camshaft is not turning. The truck has 23,000 miles and 600 hours. Should I swap out the engine or troubleshoot the cam problem. I have other engines available.

FreightTrain

Banned
ummm,You cannot see the cam.....even with the valve covers removed.The cam is about even with the fender inside the block.These are no rice rocket engines.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Laugh as hard as you want, but in my younger days, I once changed an engine in my car, when it died unexpectedly. I had a better engine available so I hastily swapped motors, instead of trying to diagnose it at all. I was so darn mad at myself when the "new" engine would not start after installing it. I was out of gas!:oops:

I understand your not out off fuel but, why not tear into and figure out what's wrong. It may be easier to fix than you think! If not, we love pictures of mass destruction! Something could be learned by your problem.

bgekky3

Let me correct my earlier post. The rockers are not moving. I thought this might be caused by the camshaft not turning. The IP is also not pumping fuel. I just finished reading TMs and I am going to take a look at the truck. Has anyone ever had trouble with the gears or keyways on the cams or cranks? I haven't heard of anything like that before. Christmas might come early for you Ed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard of rocker shafts breaking on these engines. Don"t assume, dig in!

FreightTrain

Banned
Pull the grill,Radiator,and then pull the small cover on front of the engine for the Injection pump gear.You can then look inside without tearing much more apart.have someone spin it over and check to see if the gears are moving.....if you did blow a gear or key way then you have MAJOR problems.Heads will have to come off cause you just distroyed some valves.These are interferance engines.If the cam stops but the crank don't then the pistons smush the valves.

bgekky3

I pulled the vavle covers and nothing looks broken. I don't have much experience with multis but I have built a few small block chevys and some mopars I even built an overhead cam rice rocket for a friend. Tomorrow we are going to tear into it. The IP isn't pumping. I did not hear any bang or other noise when it stopped. It just felt like it ran out of fuel. I have blown up a few engines, but all gas and on the gas not cruising when they let go. We changed out the IP head today and after it wouldn't start we checked the rockers. They are not moving. If I put my hand over the exhaust or the intake I can feel the air moving in and out. I have never seen and engine with a reverse flow exhaust before.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
These are interferance engines.If the cam stops but the crank don't then the pistons smush the valves.
Well Nick, that about does it I guess, I'll be there with the towbar around 7ish, we'll drag her back here and....

drink some beer, stand around and look at it......etc, etc, etc.....:p

I was wondering if bad things would happen if the cam isn't turning but the crankshaft is....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I pulled the vavle covers and nothing looks broken. If I put my hand over the exhaust or the intake I can feel the air moving in and out. I have never seen and engine with a reverse flow exhaust before.
Thats valves hanging open...... :(

bgekky3

I guess I have to look on the bright side. I will bring the stamp set and some aluminum. I can make a plate that says rebuilt 11 2008. Other than taking off the bed or the cab I think we will have turned every bolt on that truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks