• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shut down while driving

bgekky3

The truck is running great. I want to thank Ed (FMJ). This was the second time he pulled my truck to his house to fix it about 50 miles each way.

The first time, I was in the chat room saying how my recovery didn't go very well and the trans was broken. He said he would be at my house in the morning. He showed up towed it away and swapped out the trans. I was amazed that someone who didn't even know me would go that far to help out.

Thanksgiving day was the day the cam broke. I checked for fuel and it didn't have any. I called Ed to see if I could do anything else. He offered to drive out or loan me a truck to tow it. I declined because it was Thanksgiving. I ended up pulling it with my Bronco the 3 miles to my house. I had air pressure and some to steer and stop in the deuce and drove at 10 mph.

The engine swap went well. After the new engine was in the truck. Ed remembered that there was an exhaust leak, so he ordered and overnighted intake gaskets. Taking the intake and exhaust manifolds off are a pain on this engine.

If I were to do it over again. I would have just bought a truck from him in the first place. With all the talk of people getting ripped off, I thought someone should post something about who you can trust and who will give you a straight deal.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI. When things break like that it is one of two things. Oversped...but that will bend pushtubes first, or a failed vibration damper. Same goes for crankshafts. If it breaks at the #1 rod journal, you have a junk damper and if it breaks at the #6 rod journal, the flywheel is suspect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ed, is that you engine balancer? If so what brand is it? All of the ones I've found so far are too light for the multifuel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI. When things break like that it is one of two things. Oversped...but that will bend pushtubes first, or a failed vibration damper. Same goes for crankshafts. If it breaks at the #1 rod journal, you have a junk damper and if it breaks at the #6 rod journal, the flywheel is suspect.

Will, what if it breaks in the middle(not from a bad rod). Or does that not happen?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Ed, is that you engine balancer? If so what brand is it? All of the ones I've found so far are too light for the multifuel.

it's a harbor freight special, rated at 4 tons according to the sticker.....but it needs a longer handle when there's a Multi hanging from it, I'm going to weld a longer one on.

I just looked at their website, I can't find it.....wonder if thats a bad sign...:???:

Last edited:

bgekky3

FT resident PITA, transfer case was checked out okay, brakes gone through and adjusted, axles seals replaced, pumkins checked and refilled, tires replaced, and the electrical system was checked by qualified tech and determined that it is best left alone and a 12v marine battery installed for 12v and 110 inverter use. Hopefully Ed won't have to drag me home again.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, what if it breaks in the middle(not from a bad rod). Or does that not happen?
Only seen that a couple of times. Both engines..a 10 liter and an 855 were recently in accidents. IIRC we attributed it to a hard it in the front...they both had a single broken main bolt in the center.