• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shut down while driving

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surely you jest? I assume the cam is broken? Why did the cam break? At this point I would pull the engine or at least determine if the problem is metal fatique or something locked up. If metal fatique perhaps getting by with replacing a cam?

jatonka

Yeah, Old Man Johnny Kolanchik had the same thing happen on a LDS-465-1a this spring, He took it all apart, asked me for a cam and called me back and said he didn't need a cam, engine was junk. He put another can engine in instead. This is the 84 year old buddy of ours that was in our Annville 5 trucks 3 men recovery this spring. And, he works alone. WWII submariner, Mack truck salesman, first truck up the Alcan Highway in "92, Master Storyteller, Good friend to all who know him. Nut Case, has 25 acres of green stuff.

m35tech

I have to agree with DerertFox, swap it, you never know what else went or caused it to give, Unless you can do a quick rebuild on a that LD465, and a rebuild on it is never quick... and since you want to run it some 1500 miles check it over complete....

ETHOS

drill and tap will not hold, it will be interesting to see the following metal carnage

i could be wrong, but i bet it aint long before we hear the words, she blew up

good luck, God speed and take pics

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnage!! Pls. mount some small video cameras with microphones and lights inside the engine so there will be a record of this when it does go. I don't doubt the camshaft will work for a while with a skillful repair, but I would not trust it for very long at all and i'd keep a towbar and fire extinguisher handy. Hope there was no other damage, even though there was no other noise, said bending and crushing noises inside the engine might not have been heard above the general din of the truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that the fix you are attempting will not be adequite(and will cause more damage later). At minimum a pressed set of dowels and a retaining bolt might do it but I would not attempt that even(unless in combat conditions and your life depended on making it a few more miles in the truck). I would swap the cam with a good one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:p

Please roll your mouse over the above smiley...

I did notice there are no drill shavings! And that one picture, I am guessing the face is away because of the laughter? You guys!:smile:

Amxhunter

I'll throw in my $0.02.

That cam broke because of something else. I'd bet a steak dinner it has already kissed some valves.

If the truck was in gear when this happened and it coasted to a stop. There are at least 2 valves bent.

When the cam let go the valve train stopped where it was . The crank which is still engaged kept turning.

Might as well get ready to pull the head.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I did notice there are no drill shavings! And that one picture, I am guessing the face is away because of the laughter? You guys!:smile:

We were laughing our arses off.....

anywho, we pulled a motor out of one of my other trucks today and are getting ready to drop it in.....

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The outside truck appears to be listing port. Broken cams are not that uncommon. I'm currently stocking up on spare engines while I can.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, Nick finally got his pos out of my Garage today, donor motor seems to be performing well, no rejection issues so far ;)