• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine shut off/locked up. Will not crank.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now I have to decide what to do for a replacement. Do I trust someone selling one that was supposedly running? Do I buy a truck that is running, but has a rough body? My friend owns a machine shop, and I could freshen a "good" engine.
This is what I'd do:

I'd buy a ratty truck off Craigslist, eBarf or GL. Drive it, verify it has good oil pressure, etc.

Sell the rest of the truck, keep the transmission, transfer case, etc.

Use the engine swap as an opportunity to strip and repaint the engine compartment and detail the engine.

:D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you called the seller of the truck, and told him what has happened?

I know that if I sold the truck, and I had a "spare" engine, I would certainly try to help you out. Maybe your seller is in a position and mindset to offer some help. Just a thought.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again for all the responses.

G-Force, I'm going to drain the oil, and check out the engine after I rule out accessories, and trans/clutch failure. Warranty wise....well we all know that there is no warranty with something used, especially like this. But, the guy that I was in contact with on the purchase was selling it for his friend. They all had them, and his friend didn't want to mess with selling it. Anyway, I knew up front that he made $1,000 profit from selling it. He gave me that back. I had to drive all the way back that night and get it, but I have it. He didn't have to give me anything. He was a good guy.
DH , the seller did adjust the selling price

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about the engine.

After reading this entire thread I noticed comments about the oil in a diesel being black,

Yes, I have four diesel engines and that is usually the case but I run a Case 450 dozer for my Brother from time to time and I know it is over 12 years old and the oil looks new. I know because we check it everyday on the job sites. It gets changed regularly but not every day.

So, oil in a diesel doesn't have to always be black.

YMMV

sw

rrrr

I would try to find a rebuild military motor in the can. An LDS would be my first choice then and LDT-1c (Whistler).

Really sucks not to be able to enjoy it before you tear into it. I'm sure there are folks here that have info on where to find a motor. If you need help getting the truck home let me know. I'll have my Deuce's 395's done tomorrow and could help out on Sunday if needed.

Hang in there, when you get it up and going the smile will return to your face [thumbzup]

JJensen

I type way too much when I post so it is hard to read it all, but porkysplace is correct. The seller gave me $1000 back.

I really like the idea of a cummins swap, but I think that I would like to get it going a little sooner than I would be able to with the cummins.

Ferro and I discussed the same thing on the phone. Buy a good running truck, that is ugly as heck. I think that this will be what I do. I have another friend that thinks he wants one, but he has some crazy ideas of putting in a powerstroke (he loves fords). So I could get a truck cheap, and take out what I want, and give him the rest.

There is a guy not too far from kansas city that bought 10 or 15 trucks a long time ago. They have sat now for years. He doesn't know which ones ran and which didn't. Anyway, he said that he would sell me a decent looking truck for $2500. So he should sell me a rough looking truck much cheaper. The problem with that is, I don't know which ones run.

Clinto's plan seems the most logical. If I am going to have the engine out, I definitely want to clean everything up the best I can. BTW, I have a friend that won't work on anything without wearing latex gloves. Everyone calls him "the gynecologist" when they go to his shop. It's funny that gimpyrobb brought that up.

Gimpy, I think that it is #2. I should have stuff apart this weekend.

swbradley1, thanks for the info on that. I've had some people tell me the same thing about some of their diesel equipment. Maybe I should be changing mine more frequently. I suppose an oil sample sent off to blackstone would tell me.

One more question for all you guys that have been around these trucks for a long time:

When I do find a replacement engine, is it worth the time, money and hassle to put new gaskets in the engine while it's out? I don't need the engine to be completely spotless, but I don't want it leaking everywhere either. If they are inherently "seepers", then I probably won't bother with changing gaskets. I'll just get an engine in and drive it.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing on the clutch issue, I know it is a sore spot here but I consider this a safety issue. If you reach in and start it and it is in gear it will start and go. If it takes you by surprise it could run you over, that just happened around here recently. Modern vehicles have safety switches to prevent starting in gear but these old trucks do not.

Just something to think about.

Rick

JJensen

I'm going to drain the fuel tank when I replace the engine. I just remembered that the owner of the truck had some goofball friend that kept telling me everything about the truck. He then told me to run 75% gasoline in it. The owner said he only ran diesel. I had to get rid of $150 in fuel, but I don't want to ruin another engine if detonation from gas was the cause. I guess I could drain the fuel, and mix it in about 5 gallons to a full tank????

Thanks again for all your help. This website probably has more knowledgeable people than any other forum I've been on.

JJensen

nopics

This is an "offseason" pic of her and I in Mexico last Feb. She is 24 pounds leaner now. I'm 35 pounds leaner too LOL.

I'll should have the truck done for her and her friends to do a cool shoot with the truck. They've already been talking about little camo spandex shorts, tactical weapons, etc... Should be cool. And look good too!

Attachments

JJensen

One thing on the clutch issue, I know it is a sore spot here but I consider this a safety issue. If you reach in and start it and it is in gear it will start and go. If it takes you by surprise it could run you over, that just happened around here recently. Modern vehicles have safety switches to prevent starting in gear but these old trucks do not.

Just something to think about.

Rick
I agree with you 100% on the safety issue. I was sitting in the driver seat of the deuce any time I started it or attempted to. I just don't press the clutch in. Now, If there were a group of children or elderly women standing in front of the truck, I'd just wait until they moved to start it. Or blow the air horns. LOL

With this truck, I can guarantee that I will never be starting it from outside the truck. In my mind it's like my race cars. I am in the seat when firing it up for the first time. I want to look at the oil pressure when it fires, and I want to be able to immediately shut it off if something is wrong.

I think I had posted earlier saying about the same thing. If it were in gear, and started, I don't know if the parking brake would stop it. On our larger, air brake trucks, if you crank them in gear they just kind of jerk the truck.

Honestly with possibility of the trans locking up and causing the truck to be in "direct drive", nobody should ever have a truck running without someone being in the driver seat at all times.

Even brand new, large trucks, do not have a clutch safety switch. Well, the newest I have driven is an 08. I don't know if anything newer has a safety switch. I doubt it.

ranchhopper

I know where there is a couple of deuces in benton IL in the rend lake area shouldnt be too far for you its just a bit south and east of st louis. I was going to take the engine and trans out of one for under $500 PM me if interested I was going to keep it as a spare but it seems you need it more than I do. I can come down there and help get it out of the truck its five hours one way for me but I have a 1009 and 1008 down there too I can tow bar one back with me on the rewind it gives me the excuse to make the trip down there.