• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine & transmission swap questions

bubba_got_you

What are you planning on pulling and how often? these trucks are not just for driving
I don't understand why anybody would think they will not pull anything like plowing alot think its hard on the truck! not any harder on the truck then the driver makes it. granted not a race truck but rated just as much as the 2500hd or ford or dodge 3/4 tons not a cross country hauler but every bit a weekend get away ride!! but if you need to swap and stay diesel go with the cummins!!:driver:
[FONT=&quot]He said he is going to pull an rv trailer.
If he is going to swap to a different motor than the 6.2 in the truck then defiantly go with Cummins. [/FONT]

lilymonster

Slightly off topic question, but I think I may have found a cucv blazer that had a 6.5L swapped into it for sale near me. When I go look at it, is there any quick way to tell a 6.2 vs. 6.5 by looking at it? Is there a tell tale sign to look for? Or stampings somewhere visibile on the engine? I just want make sure the guy who is selling it is right about it having a 6.5 and not the original 6.2

M1008driver

I understand the guys who want to preserve the CUCV, I really do as I hate seeing a sporterized military rifle, so don't be angry with me.

I decided to attach a receiver hitch for the time being and see how it tows. In the meantime I will be looking for a donor truck or engine with a 5.9 Cummins, not really for speed but towing. I still have some learning to do.

I am thankful for all the comments and views presented here. This forum is the best!

rickf

I still think you should check the prices on a regular tow rig compared to what yo will spend converting a 30 year old truck that is going to rot out very quickly once you start driven it regularly.

IdahoPlowboy

With the money you spend on a 5.9 conversion you could probably do a new 6.5 Optimizer and a turbo and change very little, Just a thought. I am reading alot of threads with guys talking about a Cummins conversion and just have to wonder Why! I have seen a few Home conversions done and they just looked butchered up and were not very clean looking, Did they make more power? Sure but they were kinda ugly and hard on front end components. And yes I have had Dodge trucks with the Cummins engines on the farm,We went thru alot of ball joints and tie rod ends on these trucks. The Cummins is a very heavy motor dont forget this. I am not knocking the Cummins motor, it is a great motor.

I have to wonder why all the guys on here talking about doing this conversion, is it because its what all the Cool Kids are doing and it sounds neat to tell everyone about it?

Miah

Little curious about it myself. Locally used 1st gen or 2nd gen Dodges can be had for as low as $2000-$400 pretty regularly. Why not just buy a 2nd truck & leave your MV alone? If you can afford the cost of converting a truck correctly then you can afford to just buy a 2nd truck.

Iceman3005

With the money you spend on a 5.9 conversion you could probably do a new 6.5 Optimizer and a turbo and change very little, Just a thought. I am reading alot of threads with guys talking about a Cummins conversion and just have to wonder Why! I have seen a few Home conversions done and they just looked butchered up and were not very clean looking, Did they make more power? Sure but they were kinda ugly and hard on front end components. And yes I have had Dodge trucks with the Cummins engines on the farm,We went thru alot of ball joints and tie rod ends on these trucks. The Cummins is a very heavy motor dont forget this. I am not knocking the Cummins motor, it is a great motor.

I have to wonder why all the guys on here talking about doing this conversion, is it because its what all the Cool Kids are doing and it sounds neat to tell everyone about it?

Has nothing too do with being cool, Has everything to do with reliability and the stock engine has more power. The 6.2l blocks are considered a light duty diesel. Why buy a newer truck, well I have done the math its actually cheaper to buy an old truck really cheap and maintain it, fix rust when it shows up, and keep it painted, then buying a used newer truck every 5 years. On average a decent diesel will cost about $10,000-15,000, if you do that every 5 yaers for lets say 30 years, that comes $60,000-90,000 for 30 years. Now if you buy an old truck for say $2000 and spend $3000 every 5 years for the next 30 years to maintain it, that comes too $20,000 big difference. If done right a cummins conversion shouldn't cost more than $5000, just takes a lot of looking for good used parts, I know I have been researching this for the last 5 years.

IdahoPlowboy

If you think that you are only going to have 5k into all the parts and labor to do the swap you have not done as much research as you think. If cost is all that your concerned with then just use the dodge that came wrapped around the Cummins to begin with.

Iceman3005

If you think that you are only going to have 5k into all the parts and labor to do the swap you have not done as much research as you think. If cost is all that your concerned with then just use the dodge that came wrapped around the Cummins to begin with.

If you do the labor and fabrication yourself, that's free. Find a wrecked 94-98 dodge for 2000-3000 that has all its parts, vwhaaallaaa! Reason for year of dodge, because it has a p-pump, and a stronger trans "47rh" or a "47re" than there earlier cummins.

IdahoPlowboy

Maybe your labor is free, But you still will have lots of time involved and my time is very valuable. How about the condition of the donor motor, Do you think you are buying a brand new fresh Cummins in your donor truck? The donor motor may be in worse shape than you think. Will the tranfer case bolt near the stock location? How much longer is the Cummins than 6.2? Will you have to move the radiator? How much time and money for fuel running back and forth from parts stores driveline shops and heaven knows how many other places to get parts fabricated.
I say that it can be done and done well but it is not the low cost high power alternative that some think it is. There is a lot of hidden cost and very labor and time intensive steps in the swap.
I do not doubt your ability to do this and do it well, But it is not a easy or cheap swap for the novice.

bubba_got_you

If you do the labor and fabrication yourself, that's free. Find a wrecked 94-98 dodge for 2000-3000 that has all its parts, vwhaaallaaa! Reason for year of dodge, because it has a p-pump, and a stronger trans "47rh" or a "47re" than there earlier cummins.
[FONT=&quot]Have you ever done a motor swap like this? I don’t mean a replacement I mean a completely different motor in a truck that was never designed for it.? [/FONT]

ODdave

You know where there is a $2-3k cummins with all the parts to do the swap here in michigan?

OP, keep in mind that the stock cummins hp levels are not gonna have you crankin wheelies in your cucv, 94-95 w/47rh where 160hp (same as 6.2) w/4500 where 175hp. 96-97 47re where 180hp, w/ 4500 215hp.
Your gonna have to put some $ in it to make it a runner and if you get one with an auto you better count on having it re-biult as they do NOT hold up well.

Almost forgot, if you run an intercooler (which you should if you want power) making it fit is one of the biggest pita's about this swap.

Last edited:

Miah

comparison specs I got here say the 6.2 peak hp was 143hp@3600 & the 1989 cummins was 160hp@2500

Torque though was rated at 257@2000rpm for the chevy & 400@1600 for the cummins.

I'm sure these are max specs with a stick-shift though.

IdahoPlowboy

I would think that a m1008 with 4.56 gears would run out of gear long before power, So with the cost of the Cummins swap you would then have to add the cost of a gear swap to get the full use of the new found power from the Cummins with its shorter rpm range. Like I have said there are so many things that can get you in a swap like this. From a quick glance the 5.9 swap seams like a breeze in the park no brainer with nothing but Win, But it is not with out challenges, but if done right I have no doubt it would be fun. In the end just how much fun would the 5.9 be if it were redlined at 55 or 60 miles an hour?

M1008driver

Holy cow I stepped in it. By my calculations any engine swap is going to cost about the same, the Cummins just a little more. I don't want a Dodge and I don't like Dodge. The CUCV is a great truck even at 25 years old. It has parts civvy trucks don't have.

The 6.2 is great for what it is intended for. I want to make my truck do more than it was built for, that's all.

I am not selling so some poor guy won't have to wish he had a stock truck. The truck is to beat the high price of trucks these days and pay lower taxes which are outrageous on vehicles in my state.

There are convincing arguments on both sides.

would think that a m1008 with 4.56 gears would run out of gear long before power, So with the cost of the Cummins swap you would then have to add the cost of a gear swap to get the full use of the new found power from the Cummins with its shorter rpm range.
Solved with the proper choice of transmission. It's funny the diesel forum has no problem with this kind of swap. Obstacles yes, impossible no.

GM created & marketed the 6.2L to be a fuel efficient engine option rather than a work horse.
6.9L IDI vs. 5.9L Cummins 12v vs. 6.2L GM Diesel

Last edited:

rickf

You say the CUCV has parts the civvie trucks do do have, I am curious what. They do have two alternators and a very problematic electrical system but other than that the truck is a K/30 Chevy.

Don't get me wrong, I have one and I have pulled some serious weight with it but not very fast.
Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks