• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine & transmission swap questions

senorbadass

Yes I do have experience with the B series I'm a cummins mechanic I have built several 5.9s.5000 rpm kit let's your motor turn 5k with upgraded valve springs, push rods, valve girdle, fire rings, I have it all done to my dodge a built 47RE. I get 19 mpg motor builds power all the way to 4700 rpm so even in a m1009 it would work fine even with a th-400 but personally I would use a built 47RE. I just was giving a idea for a project. I will be dropping a 5.9 in my m1009 this winter. Dropping in a 5.9 2nd gen build p-pump to turn 5k rpm, fire rings, ported head, colt cam, balanced crank, stage 3 injectors, Aurora 400 turbo. Timing advanced to 24 deg. and a build 47RE.

ODdave

Yea, and what frame are you planing on using? This is a very unrealistic biuld fr a daily driver. Im sorry but thats how i feel. My DD cummins spins 3200 and makes more than enough power to get me where i need to go. To spin 5k is just unnessisary stress and wear.

senorbadass

i will beef up the frame thats the easy part. i will swap axles out for some big Dana axles. and as far as turning 5k rpm u just have to ride in one that can do it. not that much wear and tear if you build it right. my truck has so much power and torque it's crazy with a avg of 21mpg and highway is almost 30mpg. but we all have a diff opinion of what we like. and my dodge is a DD also

Last edited:

jj

Forgive me for being a doubting thomas, but, if it is so easy to get 30 miles per gallon out of these engines, why didn't the Chrysler Corporation do it right on the assembly line? They'd sell a million of them.

Iceman3005

because the car company's don't want you too get good fuel mileage! My neighbors 57 pontiac gets better fuel mileage than my 2003 pontiac, pretty sad. he has the original 389 in it with a 2 barrel carb, no electronics no emissions, its a wonderful car too work on. I have a friend with a 95 cummins truck 2 wheel drive, he did some pump work and now he is getting 26-28 miles to the gallon. My cucv, after installing a 700r4 is getting 22-24 MPG. Oil company's, car company's, the EPA, they don't want cars too get good fuel mileage, look how many billions of dollars they make every year.

senorbadass

Forgive me for being a doubting thomas, but, if it is so easy to get 30 miles per gallon out of these engines, why didn't the Chrysler Corporation do it right on the assembly line? They'd sell a million of them.
Cummins built the engines to run some what smooth and not lay down black smoke like crazy but to build the power and Mpg the run rough and pour out black smoke and 21mpg is my avg the 30mpg is cruising the highway

senorbadass

K. Post lots of pics....

Question, whats the point of spinning 5k with an automatic?
Why do gas motors turn 5k with a automatic. Trans is built custom built for my motor crazy power I can pull anything blow anyone's doors off and still get great mpg. Do you know much about the cummins?

Kinda like asking power stroke guys why they p-pump their motors

Last edited:

ODdave

Why do gas motors turn 5k with a automatic. Trans is built custom built for my motor crazy power I can pull anything blow anyone's doors off and still get great mpg. Do you know much about the cummins?

Kinda like asking power stroke guys why they p-pump their motors
I asked a powerstroke guy. he said he'll no for a dd . lol. it is physically impossible to get 30mpg @ 5000 rpm out of 359 ci on straight diesel with out going well over 100 mph. The volumetric efficiency would be over 150 percent.

senorbadass

My motor and their are two total different comparisons cat truck is built for pulling only. I bet that it can turn 5k also. Just because u can turn 5k dosent mean you always are never said 30 mpg @ 5000 rpm a power stroke doesn't get the mpg a cummins does anyways. I don't turn 5k on highway. I bet u don't cruise the highway at red line do you. Also you don't know any specs on my motor to figure up the VE way too many variables. Port size on head, compression ratio, cam, valve size, turbo psi, intercooler, ambient temperature, altitude. But I'm not trying to start a pissin match with ya. The cummins us my specialty just like you probably have a specialty area also. I will documents and take pictures of my new winter project.

IdahoPlowboy

Senorbadass The Cummins may be your specialty but your punctuation and spelling make your posts hard to read.
Please post some pics of your truck and motor it sounds like a awesome machine.

rickf

I have been a diesel mehanic for many years, I am not going to step into the middle of this debate but I can assure you that you are not going to get 30 MPG. Your comment about rolling smoke and getting good mileage doing it is a contradiction. You and I both know that when you are rolling smoke you are not burning all of the fuel. TONS of power but very inefecient. The faster an engine turns the more fuel it uses so the idea is to keep the power band low and stay in it. All I am going to say.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks