• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine & transmission swap questions

IdahoPlowboy

I have been thinking about putting a turbo on my 6.2 and have wondered the same thing about putting a turbo on a probably well used engine, I really dont know the answer for sure.

bubba_got_you

[FONT=&quot]Ok I would just keep the 6.2 and get a 700r4 trans (lower first and second gear for starting but has Od) and if you want more pull then ad a turbo and a girdle kit. The m1008 is geared so it will pull just fine with less power and my modified 6.2 with turbo puts out more hp and torque than my friends stock Cummins 12v. Now you have to modify the 6.2 for that but it is cheaper and faster than doing a swap. The 6.2 is a light duty diesel but with the gearing it will work just fine. [/FONT]

rickf

I like the idea of preserving a MV but you are trying to turn one into a Dodge Ram or Powerstroke. I think you would be money ahead to just find a Ram 3500 or F350. That way all the parts are readily available anywhere.

Rick

M1008driver

OK, new idea. What is the best 6.2 engine I can get? I am talking about upgraded parts, etc. I read to get a 1988 or newer and what transmission should I use? Does that mean a Humvee engine? I am looking for 4 gear non-computer auto if possible, OD does not matter.

I am seeing 6.2 diesel engines all over the internet, cheap. This we can do in my friend's garage.

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

OK, new idea. What is the best 6.2 engine I can get? I am talking about upgraded parts, etc. I read to get a 1988 or newer and what transmission should I use? Does that mean a Humvee engine? I am looking for 4 gear non-computer auto if possible, OD does not matter.

I am seeing 6.2 diesel engines all over the internet, cheap. This we can do in my friend's garage.
what is wrong with the one IN your truck? it is the same as all the others and yes the 700r4 is all self contained (no wires or vacuum lines). and yes use a trans cooler. if you want to do 65 then the 700r4 with an od is the best way to do it with a transmission. or you can just stick with the th400 and get larger tires.

bubba_got_you

What do larger tires do and what size?

Jeez, there is nothing wrong with my truck. I want a project and to spend money, but only if it is an improvement. :driver:

EDIT- OK, I found it.
the motor in your truck is a 6.2 diesel so if you want to get more power out if it ad a turbo and a girdle kit. just get a 6.5 turbo and manifolds off a 6.5 turbo diesel and install it on your motor. and if you want more speed change the trans to a 700r4 or lift the truck and get larger tires.

Attachments

bubba_got_you

That's what I was thinking about.

Afraid to ask, but what about those hmmwv engines available now? Are the parts interchangable with the CUCV? I come a long ways from my original 6bt idea. :mrgreen:
the 6.5 and 6.2 are almost the same motor but the 6.5 has a weaker block, that's why we put turbos on 6.2's

Edit, I feel the need to clarify this.
The hmmwv used to have the 6.2 now they have the 6.5 so it depends

Last edited:

Iceman3005

I dont think you would gain that much with the 5.9.[/QUOTE said:
UUUMMMMM.......ya....a stock 5.9 has 215 HP, 75 more horse than a 6.2, turn the fuel pump screw up a couple of turns(free power) and install a #100 fuel plate, about $200 and that will put the 5.9 over 300-350 hp. I think that's a big gain, even stock its a lot more.

bubba_got_you

UUUMMMMM.......ya....a stock 5.9 has 215 HP, 75 more horse than a 6.2, turn the fuel pump screw up a couple of turns(free power) and install a #100 fuel plate, about $200 and that will put the 5.9 over 300-350 hp. I think that's a big gain, even stock its a lot more.
[FONT=&quot]I think what he meant is for what he is doing there would be no gain in spending that kind of cash to put a 5.9 in. [/FONT]

rnd-motorsports

What are you planning on pulling and how often? these trucks are not just for driving
I don't understand why anybody would think they will not pull anything like plowing alot think its hard on the truck! not any harder on the truck then the driver makes it. granted not a race truck but rated just as much as the 2500hd or ford or dodge 3/4 tons not a cross country hauler but every bit a weekend get away ride!! but if you need to swap and stay diesel go with the cummins!!:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks