• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Wont Run After Setting Up For 2 YEARS.

Loose Deuce

No, I didn't know it had one, and don't know where it would be exactly, I know about the bleeder on the secondary filter mount. I have no experience on the fuel injector pumps.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 522443 Here, I even highlighted the main parts for those who are "reading challenged" .
Shure then what is this post about your implying someone has a problem so come off the crap.. Mybe you should read up on our system. Its funny cause I never paid much attention to the secondary and final fuel filter bypass. When I get a chance to check what the opening pressure is I will post back but I don't think it will be 60 psi bypass because that and maybe less what our system devoleps. I would guess 70lb. Second our system can build and and maintain somewhere around 60 psi but it can not hold it. The overflow valve on our heads has a hole in it and our system can not hold pressure. Our head allways has fuel flowing through it and when shut down happens there is a compleat loss. There should be no need to have the check valve in the diagram you showed in our system.
Should say thank you for holding true to form and maybe that was a bad metaphor about the girls. Also instead of discussing our system and maybe teach or learning something you rant about what ever it was. (sorry I don't read your rants). The facts mam just the facts.Joe Friday Drag Net.

Last edited:

rustystud

View attachment Scan0010.pdfView attachment Scan0011.pdf
Shure then what is this post about your implying someone has a problem so come off the crap.. Mybe you should read up on our system. Its funny cause I never paid much attention to the secondary and final fuel filter bypass. When I get a chance to check what the opening pressure is I will post back but I don't think it will be 60 psi bypass because that and maybe less what our system devoleps. I would guess 70lb. Second our system can build and and maintain somewhere around 60 psi but it can not hold it. The overflow valve on our heads has a hole in it and our system can not hold pressure. Our head allways has fuel flowing through it and when shut down happens there is a compleat loss. There should be no need to have the check valve in the diagram you showed in our system.
Should say thank you for holding true to form and maybe that was a bad metaphor about the girls. Also instead of discussing our system and maybe teach or learning something you rant about what ever it was. (sorry I don't read your rants). The facts mam just the facts.Joe Friday Drag Net.
First. Warthog, note I left this matter alone, but this other fellow could not let it go. So here goes. I'm posting this page from TM 9-2815-204-35 so you can as you say "the facts mam just the facts" so here is the facts. The relief valve opens at 60PSI just as I said. If you look at the diagram you will see the fuel comes from the injection fuel pump to the fuel filters. No bypass. Straight to the filters. So like I said, if there is no relief valve to release excess pressure the filters can fail. So why did the military put this relief valve in there Floridason ? Grins and Giggles ? As far as my previous post referring others to look at the highlighted parts. If you had ever read any of my past posts you will see what others have said. There is one in particle I'm referring too and it is not you. Maybe I should have clarified my comments to refer to this other member but then I would be guilty of "Bad Behavior " and censored by the powers that be.
So like I told you, read up on our deuce's fuel system before you start a rant against others who had no animosity towards you ! Until now !
P.S. You spell "shure" sure.

Last edited:

tot74

HPIM0905.jpgTo the right of the data tag on the high pressure head is a 12 point plug in the picture. Mine have leaked at this point and cause rough running and shutdowns and no start. We use our deuces hard in fire brush truck duty and that bleeder seems to leak every so often causing issues. I have had to replace one of these plugs on one of our trucks to cure the leak.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
View attachment 523431To the right of the data tag on the high pressure head is a 12 point plug in the picture. Mine have leaked at this point and cause rough running and shutdowns and no start. We use our deuces hard in fire brush truck duty and that bleeder seems to leak every so often causing issues. I have had to replace one of these plugs on one of our trucks to cure the leak.
Have you checked the high pressure bleeder plug on the side of the IP head? I have had this plug seeping and it cause a no start. Cleaned seat and torqued and started. Hope this is helpful.
Those plugs are known to crack. If you don't see fuel leaking/spraying from there don't mess with it. They are a lapped fit and not fun to mess with. I have had one crack, and it took 8 different plugs to find one that would work.

If you do mess with it, be careful, there are parts that will fall out when you remove it. They are small and easily lost.

Loose Deuce

thanks, its not leaking. is there a manual on the injector pump with an exploding view somewhere. does one particular company make that pump for the multi-fuel engine ?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the bypass valve is needed when fuel is shut-off to prevent excessive pressure buildup. When you shut-off the fuel ( pull the lever) the fuel is no longer going to the injectors, but the engine is still turning powering the injection pump fuel pump. If this fuel has no where to go it would cause the fuel filters to blow.
This stament about when shutting down is all I questioned. I can see that with the motor running ( and I said that before) if the filters got stop up or maybe something stoped up the HH overflow valve then an over pressure could happen and the secondary filter reliefe valve open to pervent something not good happening. I will still do some testing on the secondary fuel filter reliefe valve for true opening pressure. I will also take out the secondary fuel filter reliefe valve from the system and run the motor and see what the pressure spikes on Idle shut down and a full 2600rpm shut down. Thanks for the kick too get me learning more about the reliefe system figures. No matter right or wrong I will post the figures soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
James, if memory serves, its around 85psi. I used to use a multifuel secondary filter set to filter my fuel before it went into my fuel tank. Imagine my surprise when the filters clogged and fuel started spraying everywhere cause I didn't plug that pressure relief valve!
Not a happy camper that day...

Loose Deuce

Well you guys, I finally got a chance to work on my Deuce. First thing I tried was taking the return line coming from the injectors off where it goes in the T on the front of the IP. Turn the in tank pump on and no fuel came out of that return line but it did come out of the IP. Is that normal ??? I took that T and check valve off and cleaned the check valve if that is what it is. It has a small hole in the center of that puppy ? I also took the cover off the fuel shut off and that thing was pretty hard to move back and forth, I had to use a flat tip screw driver to push it one way and then the other way. Is that bad ????

I've tried to down load the TM's for this problem and my PC keeps kicking off every time it tries to start down loading.

mbehne

Yes, the fuel shut off lever should move freely and return (to the 7o'clock position if memory serves me) freely. Gimpy posted about the best method/explanation I have seen. I was able to free one of mine up with penetrating oil and patience instead of pulling it apart. Fix this first but it highly likely the cause of your no start.

Didn't find Gimpy's pics and post but this one may help. Like I said, I did have luck just freeing one ip without removing it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?41122-Injection-pump-repair

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I'm dealing with this right now on a truck that has sat for 22 years. Pulled the HH off and reinstalled the button and retainer, dropped the shutoff lever in the ultrasonic cleaning tank to clean it and free it up because it was bad sticky. Replaced the HH o-rings, now I'm having a really hard time getting the shutoff lever back in.... Got me pretty mad earlier.
so I gave up until tomorrow.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey jeepsinker, where do you buy those hydraulic head O-rings?
Grainger's has them but don't know if they will sell just one of each. They come in packs of 10. If you buy both packs from Grainger you can make a lot of friends on SS. lol Grainger # 1KAG5 ans 1KAG8

If you want I will go in halfs with you. If there is a Grainger's close too you then you might be able to get them from the store and not pay shipping.

Last edited:

RAYZER

I'm dealing with this right now on a truck that has sat for 22 years. Pulled the HH off and reinstalled the button and retainer, dropped the shutoff lever in the ultrasonic cleaning tank to clean it and free it up because it was bad sticky. Replaced the HH o-rings, now I'm having a really hard time getting the shutoff lever back in.... Got me pretty mad earlier.
so I gave up until tomorrow.
Try installing the fuel shut off lever shaft assembly with the govener rod disconnected, then connect the rod and c clip.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
James, if memory serves, its around 85psi. I used to use a multifuel secondary filter set to filter my fuel before it went into my fuel tank. Imagine my surprise when the filters clogged and fuel started spraying everywhere cause I didn't plug that pressure relief valve!
Not a happy camper that day...
Yea believe it is higher than 60 psi. So with the over pressure built into the secondary fuel filter it would only open if the was an over pressure in the system while at higher RPM. Not when shutting down because at idle we have only 30 psi and the system bleeds off through the over flow valve and RPM decreasing.
Now also it was proven if the over pressure valve sticks open the truck will still start and idle but will not run at higher RPM very well. This is why when we have a performance problem we need to check running pressures 30 min. idle and 60 min. high idle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks