• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Field-expedient Deuce tire lift technique

panshark

I'm looking for a way to lift a 9x20 standard tire with wheel into the bed of the truck without risking a back injury.

I know that the easiest answer would be to have soldier B assist soldier A to lift it into the bed, but sometimes soldier B isn't around.

A truck crane would make short work of the task, but I don't want to mount a truck crane. I'd like to know if someone has been able to use a cable or a lever to hoist it up into the bed.

Any ideas?

AceHigh

I put one of the cheap Harbor Freight hoists in the back of the bed just for this purpose. It really came in handy this week- I bought a 20 foot long I Beam (400 pounds) to put under my house and the hoist was used to latch it down to the gate, then used to unload it.

The fun is next weekend. I plan to use the winch to pull the beam under the house. Lots of fail potential in this one!

Anyway, I love the hoist. Plan on getting one for my other truck too.

stampy

Well if you are over 250lbs and you get a running start and jump real high.....Nah you would still end up killing yourselfrofl

O.D. Fever

Ok im 50 years old, 148 to 150 lbs. extra bs.. I roll the tire infront of me, sidways, grab the big whole. plant it at my waist , curl it up and toss it like a very heavy bale of hay. It helps to take aleeve for a preemptive strike.. But its not that bad.. P.S. I am built like a Quaker Farmer but my morals are not as good. Joe :-D

tco3129

I loaded mine using a red devil comealong. Stuff pipe in standard hole in front of bed. hook crank end on pipe. Run cable across bed to lowered tailgate. Roll tire to tailgate and hook in center hole from behind tire. Crank away. They just jump into the bed! LOL

Tie a rope through the rim, climb up in the bed with the gate down, use your legs and pull up. Once you get the tire past the tail gate, it's pretty easy to snatch with one hand and finish pulling it in.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting you ask THIS question I am also in a position to have to load my spare into the bed, I am installing a tool box where the spare would normally be. My thought was a 4x4 across the back of the bed on top the steel side rails and use a come along to lift the tire off the ground with that once I got the tire up as far as I could it should be easy to lift it up the rest of the way? I am not saying there isnt a better way but that is where I am at right now! Any better Ideas I would sure really like to hear.
KK

91W350

Karl, can't you just roll the tire up on a snow drift, back the deuce in with the tailgate down, then sweep the rest of the snow out of the bed? :razz: Glen

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Come along stake pocket to wheel for lifting it. Strong strap/ rope tied through the wheel and to the truck so when you shove it out you don't have to chase it for half a mile.

91W350

Drag it to the nearest ditch, back in and load her up, saves a lot of lifting. I would think a couple of winch blocks and some rope would make flat loading a lot less painful. I have not had the pleasure with a later deuce yet, but the 1400s on the old five ton are a chore without help. I was not man enough to toss them over my head, so I had to back into a hole to load them. Glen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you considered a quick detach crane? Maybe a piece of pipe mounted to the side of the bed that you could slip the mast of the hoist into and lock it in with a pin. You could fabricate one out of a hand winch and some pipe.

As my lawyer used to say "where there's a will there's a relative".

shannondeese

I built a square mount and bolted it to the floor with a 2 1/2 pipe welded to it. I stuck part of a cherry picker on it. It works great to lift my 395 spare to the bed. Sorry I don't have any pictures. Just imagine a cherry picker mounted in the bed. I made it swivel too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks