• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Field-expedient Deuce tire lift technique

ChrisABQ07

How about:

An 8-10 ft aluminum ladder at an angle between the ground and over the lip of the bed with the gate down.
Tie the ladder to the bumperettes to prevent sliding.

A piece of ply wood, or a 2x12 the width of the ladder with 2 2x4x12s to act as guides on the outside of the ladder. (Like a sled on rails).
No contact between the tire and the ladder - too much friction.

A come along or a rope through the tire rim. Or possibly push the tire on the sled up the ladder.

The ladder acts as a ramp, and the "sled" should slide easily up the ladder and into the bed.

And, you may want to stake the ground-end of the ladder so it doesn't pull up.

I'm not sure what the tire weighs, but the ladder should hold 250 lbs safely. Just my 2 cents...

wsucougarx

***************5 gallon bucket and 2x4 Method*********************

OK this is what I used to put 9 tires in the back of my deuce by myself. You need a 5 gallon bucket and a 4 ft 2x4.
I put the 5 gallon bucket on the ground upside down. Use the 2x4 to create a ramp from the ground to the top of the bucket. Roll the tire up onto the bucket. Now, hold onto the tire and remove the 2x4. Take the 2x4 insert it through the middle of the wheel. Put one end of the 2x4 on the truck bed. Use both arms to lift up the other end of the 2x4. By lifting up the 2x4 up above the level of the bed the tire will slide into the truck.

panshark

a bunch of good ideas! I personally wouldn't want to use a ramp, I could see me losing control of it and having an inanimate object tackle me. the bucket and 2x4 sounded nuts, but after reading how to do it, that sounds like a decent plan. Would it work with some of the bigger radial tires that folks are singling out with? the rollers on the hood and roof is an awesome idea, too bad I don't have a winch.

wsucougarx

I've been using the bucket/2x4 method for about a year now:). Don't need a bunch of bulky tools or ramps. Pretty much most of the work is the first 2 seconds of lifting the board up. From then on the tire/wheel weight is mostly resting on the tail gate area. It's hard to explain, just need to try it:). I don't know, it works great for me:) Plus it doesn't bust your back

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Tie a rope through the rim, climb up in the bed with the gate down, use your legs and pull up. Once you get the tire past the tail gate, it's pretty easy to snatch with one hand and finish pulling it in.
um... rearry?

Have you considered a quick detach crane? Maybe a piece of pipe mounted to the side of the bed that you could slip the mast of the hoist into and lock it in with a pin. You could fabricate one out of a hand winch and some pipe.
This would be my first choice too. Just go buy something like one of the harbor freight hoists that a lot of us are using. Doesn't have to be a permanent install, and you could stow it somewhere else on/under the truck so you'll have it when you need it.

How about:

An 8-10 ft aluminum ladder...
Maybe something like this?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know from a simplisity standpoint the bucket and 2x4 idea is good I am going to give that a try and see how it works, its a whole lot simpler than my idea, and Glen I cant use the snow banks beacuse I think I have moved them all MULTIPLE times already! Hey can you imagine this we are ONCE again in a winter snow warning and its snowing and blowing outside as I write this, Beautiful!
KK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a 2x10x8' plank. Not hard to do at all.

jamesfrom180

Have not had to try any of these but I would think simplifying the sled method is what I would do.

Required a winch like device in the front of the bed. One 6 foot aluminum ladder, and assorted short pieces of rope.

Position tire like in bucket method but closer to truck with ladder almost vertical
Tie Heavy SOB to end of ladder and secure rather well
secure winch line to opposite end of ladder and pull.

Theory is ladder will act as lever and sled and pull into bed of truck. This method has worked with large alligator and calf:deadhorse: that needed to be taken across pasture and could not be drug. I have not done this with a deuce.[thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited:

466Navastar

the bucket method with (2) 2x4s - then you dont have to hold the tire to remove the one -under the tire- used as a ramp -

just use the second 2x4 as the gentleman explained

a piece of 2 inch steel pipe might even work better for step #2 ---better slide action

Last edited:

panshark

2 inch steel pipe...that's genius. I really like that. I've got a 6 ft long steel bar that I use for my jack, I bet it would slide just the same. If you had to load a tire into a truck that you're recovering, that would be the way to go. I could use my 5-gallon wmo bucket too. I cant argue with jamesfrom180 on his method. That's just too useful of a method. You could drag almost anything up into the bed using that technique! Tire, spare engine, small car that you're looking to repo...All the posts have been really useful, thanks everyone.

jamesfrom180

Scary thing is the wife wants to put a boulder in the front of the house and I have been trying to comply with her wishes. Not until I shook off some dust did I remember:oops: that method. Think I will have to try my own idea out on a 400 lb limestone pain in my side this weekend.

Just remember leverage is a two way street. Make sure your lever is strong enough. Used 4x4 post for the Gator and 3" pipe for the calf.

Yes the method still works...update, was able to move about a 350 lb boudler with the trailer and winch tonight. Sure hope the wife is done with her rock garden cause those suckers are heavey.

Last edited:

jimmcld

With those small tires, just pick them up and throw them in. Now with a BIG tire it's a little different. The 1600's on HEMMT rims weigh around 450lbs. Now is when you use the crane on your M816.

ODdave

Dissasemble it, Ya know just knock the snap ring off, Pop that tire right off there and toss each peice in there seperatly. Sounds easy enough huh?

rofl

wsucougarx

the bucket method with (2) 2x4s - then you dont have to hold the tire to remove the one -under the tire- used as a ramp -

just use the second 2x4 as the gentleman explained

a piece of 2 inch steel pipe might even work better for step #2 ---better slide action
Actually that's why I used a 2x4. On the initial lift, the wheel grabs onto the 2x4 so it will not slide down and smash your hands

sterlun

How about:

An 8-10 ft aluminum ladder at an angle between the ground and over the lip of the bed with the gate down.
Tie the ladder to the bumperettes to prevent sliding.

A piece of ply wood, or a 2x12 the width of the ladder with 2 2x4x12s to act as guides on the outside of the ladder. (Like a sled on rails).
No contact between the tire and the ladder - too much friction.

A come along or a rope through the tire rim. Or possibly push the tire on the sled up the ladder.

The ladder acts as a ramp, and the "sled" should slide easily up the ladder and into the bed.

And, you may want to stake the ground-end of the ladder so it doesn't pull up.

I'm not sure what the tire weighs, but the ladder should hold 250 lbs safely. Just my 2 cents...

Whew! Geez. After lugging all that crap around now I'm too tired to fool with the tire.:cookoo:

jesusgatos

Thanks. But that boarding ramp is all that's left of it. Ditched the uhaul to build a new custom trailer. Putting a small HF-type hoist in the back, but would like to have a lift-gate instead if I can swing it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks