• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I think tar paper would be the best for that gasket Dan. As for the web canvas that goes on the cowl under the back of the hood I have a large roll should you need some. I have used it on M211s and M34s etc and is the correct stuff. I do not use screws as the originals did I use the 3M window adhesive. As sooner or later the screws seem to surface and start to hit the hood.

P.S. On using the webbing remember to heat the ends when using nylon webbing and to dip the ends of the canvas webbing in some OD paint to keep the ends from fraying.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoveled the snow off the bed and wheeled it in the shop today. Bed is sitting on a hay wagon running gear. Time to get back at it again. Have a nice used furnace installed in the shop now, no excuses!

Since my truck was a firetruck I have some modifications to un-modify. I was thinking about cutting this square and welding a piece in, but it would be better if I could find a top rail chunk from a scrap bed and weld in a section between the stake pockets.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I will find a 14g square tube that measures 2.5"sq. and rip it down with the cutoff wheel. I need 20" but 36" will go all the way to the back. I drove all over today, but everything is closed.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a winch from a M211 on CL for $150. I have all the linkages and I have a line in a PTO and shafts.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woke up early and started sandblasting at 0700. Started out about 7 degrees above zero. When I quit about noon it got up to 22 above. The air compressor is inside the heated shop and about 75' of airhose laid in the snow. The cold made the water in the hose condense and freeze up the line several times. Had to stop and move the sandblaster and hose back inside to thaw. I had to quit using my balsting hood as it fogged froze inside from my breath. I used safety glasses and a couple old t shirts around my face. It actually worked better that the nasty hood.

I needed to get the old red paint off. It was pealing and flaking. The OD green still has a solid hold so I left it on.

Blaster is a 120# pressurized one from one of those tent sales in a mall parking lot. Once I get the valves adjusted it works reasonably well. Compressor is 6hp/60gallon sandborn. The combo is good if I stay with nozzels of 1/8" or less. If they wear larger than that, It has a hard time keeping up.

The inside and outside of the bed took $28 or 4 bags of black coal slag.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished and had the boys help me push it inside by hand. Not real good at backing up that haywagon. I plan to do some repair work on the bed later tonight. Need to weld a few holes shut. Obviously the previous owner drilled holes with a torch.

Happy to have that nasty job behind me. :D

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7 degrees? What's the hold up? Check out all metals online for the square tubing. They do small pieces and mail it to ya for the bed railing.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Jim. I got lucky when I recovered the winch. I drove past a fab shop in the middle of nowhere that had a sign up for steel sales. Spent $14 on the tube.

Check out the new Blizzak snow tires on the hay wagon! :p

Last 2 pics are 1 year ago at its former Minnesota home

Attachments

Last edited:

ALA2

Amazing what can be found on a parts run. are you right in galesville would like to stop buy , Have ben told i have strong back, week mind whatever that means .I am looking at a saw mill in your area .
al

ALA2

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I primed the bed last night and sprayed the paint this afternoon. I hope to have a wrecker come and lift it in the morning so I can drive the truck under it. I still have some work to do, but I will do it after it is on the chassis

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks