• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a new used tool last week for $40. I hooked it up to the pump for my shop press. It does the job, but the air/hydraulic pump is a must. I had to reposition it 14 times and pumped for 20 minutes to get the bead pushed down on both sides. I see HF has them on sale Monday for $109 with the 25% off. It would be a 5 minute job with the correct pump.

I have a wheel that will not bead up. The tire won't go over the tapered edge of the split ring. It just does not seem to fit right. It is better to fill the wheel full of wood, burn the red paint of the wheel and toast marshmallows than to blow an arm off.

I'll blast the wheel and get it painted next.

Attachments

1944mb

We used these in the shop the most. It would break over the road and tractor beads, so can't see why they wouldn't work well on a deuce. This is just an example with a decent pic. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...=MN91N4D1V31BZQ78T40R&dpPl=1&dpID=71ddkB1TrFL
reposition it about three times in each side, with a few wallops each time and the bead will be broke. They work well. I hated especially heavy truck tires-I just helped if absolutely necessary

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those too. It works great for the 22.5 tires and farm tractor tires. The Split ring mounted tires with flaps are a real stinker. They are stiff, old and rusty.

I have an 11.00-20 M135 tire to take off next. That one is worse than the 9.00 because it bulges over the split ring. Hard to get the tool started correctly. The other thing that makes it difficult is You get 6 positions on the wheel to bite. I had some tires dismounted a couple years ago at a shop. They spun the tire/wheel on machine that looked like it had a farm disk that just rolled the bead back. I'm guessing it was less than 2 minutes a tire to take off at $20/tire. He did me a favor and charged me $75 an hour shop rate so the cost was around $40 for 14 tires. Two of us worked our tails off feeding the operator tires and taking the wheels and tires out of his way. It was worse than taking hay bales off the bailer.

I just realized this could all be over if I would just spend $20.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked this one up in April of 2011. I don't think there is a bolt ot part that has not been taken off and been cleaned, painted and reassembled at least once. Unfortunately it is an outside truck and Mother Nature sometimes undoes what I do. My bright red paint has turned chalky. I'm going to do it again. This time uv protection with a clear coat. Then it will get the civil defense decals put back on.

Attachments

DUUANE

Nice job on the truck..i am constantly battling mother nature as well..the trees at the shop drop 1/4" thick blanket of pollen a day..as soon as the dew sets..instant green glue..very frustrating..
I have the manual screw type bead breaker it works..kinda..as you said only 6 places to pick up on the rim..i have a pile of wheel with tires on them to go to scrap so i have to figure out an efficient (and not back breaking) way to get them off as some have been on so long they are pretty much rust welded to the rim..

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did pickup an air over hydraulic pump. It did work well. I think I had about $150 in the whole thing. I took several wheels/tires to a local shop and it took longer to roll them into the shop than it did to dismount them on that big tire changer. They turned up against what looked like a 12" round farm disk, then pop the ring off and roll the disk on the other side and it breaks down the other bead and pushes the tire off. The shop rate was $80/hour. They were done in 30 minutes with my help rolling tires to the operator and out of the way. I sold my bead breaker after that.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive the truck around the yard every couple weeks. It has always had a rough idle, but still less than 500 rpm. When I start it I can hear the air go "chhhhhht, chhhht, chhhht" when the starter rolls it over. We did a compression test and cylinders 3 & 4 were dead. Ordered a head gasket. Pulled the head and 2 burned valves on the same intake port. Ordered 2 new surplus intake valves. took the valves out and the seats looked good but off to the machine shop anyway. More to come!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I drive the truck around the yard every couple weeks. We did a compression test and cylinders 3 & 4 were dead. Ordered a head gasket. Pulled the head and 2 burned valves on the same intake port. Ordered 2 new surplus intake valves.
You are an inspiration, hendersond. A tribute to doing something/ anything (getting started), and getting things done.

Every little thing dealt with now is one less thing to pile up on you later.

Cheers, Brother!

Another Ahab

2 Burned valves in my red 1952 GMC army truck. Pulled the engine apart and sent the bare head (and 2 new surplus valves) to be machined. My Friday evening project was to re-assemble the valves in the head. Will install Saturday.View attachment 880817
Impressive, hendersond. Looks like you know what you're doing.

Guessing this is not your "first rodeo", that right?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a fancy head gasket. It is progressing. I suspect it had zero valve lash as all of the rockers were tight when I took it apart. I need to replace the gasket for the cover on the side of the block. Hopefully it will be up and running today.IMG_20221005_135557166.jpgIMG_20221005_174555844.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks