• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixing up my MEP-803A"

majoday

Wow, 7 shims? I think that will make that pump fire off a little late. I've had a few sets that would smoke gray/white out of 1 cly. until it warmed up. They had probably 4 or 5 shims , removing a couple shims ( leaving 2 in place ) fixed most of them.
Sounds like someone may have owned stocks in the shim company! That's a whole lot of shims to be in one machine. I've never even seen gray shims, are those thicker than the black or somewhere in between the black and the paper thin green ones?
Glad to hear that it's running ( and sounding ) good now!
I listened to the motor yesterday. Using a hose, on the starter side of the motor, I put my ear to the sound of the head. # 1 and #2 were quiet. # 3 and #4 have a distinct compression knock. I am thinking that I need to increase the shim pack. But, before I do that, I wanted to run this by you because of the experience you have with timing through the shim packs. The other thing I think is the turning forward the injector pumps. However, In their current position, Temps were close across the 4 cyl's/

Ray70

You could try adding 1 more black shim to #3 and #4 and see if that changes the sound by delaying the injection point a few degrees.
I would not change the rotational position of your temps are pretty consistent. All that does is vary the amount of fuel delivered with each pulse.
A trick to help assess the situation, seeing as you have plenty of extra shims is to loosen the bolt and cut a slit in a shim so you can slide it in without removing the metering pump.
Tighten it down and retest. If it makes an improvement, then remove the metering pumps and replace the slit shim with a good one.

majoday

You could try adding 1 more black shim to #3 and #4 and see if that changes the sound by delaying the injection point a few degrees.
I would not change the rotational position of your temps are pretty consistent. All that does is vary the amount of fuel delivered with each pulse.
A trick to help assess the situation, seeing as you have plenty of extra shims is to loosen the bolt and cut a slit in a shim so you can slide it in without removing the metering pump.
Tighten it down and retest. If it makes an improvement, then remove the metering pumps and replace the slit shim with a good one.
Hi! Some time has passed with other projects (Plumbing Challenge, trees down, etc.). Today I added the shims and all the cyls sound the same. Thank you for the info and insight!! Merry Christmas!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks