• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you are filling that last 10%. Unless my math serves me wrong 60+30=90 :lol:
Yeah, 60+30 is indeed only 90, but if Gadget also decides to add the Lucas Super Coolant stuff he mentioned, there has to be some room left for it, right?

Why the over 50/50 mix I don't understand, though. We get down to -20 at times, and I can get by with 30% anti freeze, if memory serves me.
There are a number of reasons not to run any more than necessary.
Anyway, looks like the Prestone AF2000 is regular anti freeze, of the long-life variety, which makes me think that just about any anti freeze would work.
For what it's worth, I never use anything but distilled water in cooling systems, either with only additives or the required amount of anti freeze, depending on the application. Distilled water is dirt cheap, and minus the "dirt" in free tap water.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well the POS truck starts with the start button, no clutch button, trying to get the turn signals working, I see NO need for turn signal fuses, or for that matter any fuses in the lighting system, most of the older military trucks (939 and down) do not have them, not worrying about water proofing, the rest of the system is far from water proof. I guess just pick something not working and get it working, then go no to the next rat dinner, speaking of dinner, I found the REST of the defroster tube, ALL 18" of it.

Warning BEFORE you stick your hand in though a mess of rat dinner wiring, TURN the master switch OFF, due to me NOT heeding my own warning, I am about 20 gal. of blood short, along with a sore/cut elbow, sour/cut wrist, and a cut on the top of my bald head (to brain dead to be sore).

I also found that after the master switch and the on/off switch is turned off that somewhere in the system something is storing juice (sorta like a capacitor), it takes about 30 sec.for a relay to open (you can here the "click", then no more juice, so be careful.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Warning BEFORE you stick your hand in though a mess of rat dinner wiring, TURN the master switch OFF, due to me NOT heeding my own warning, I am about 20 gal. of blood short, along with a sore/cut elbow, sour/cut wrist, and a cut on the top of my bald head (to brain dead to be sore).
I'm sorry to hear about your lesson; that sure doesn't sound like fun at all.

The good news about that (i hear), is it'll help you build up your antibodies (like you needed that). :roll: :mrgreen:

General Hood

Well the POS truck starts with the start button, no clutch button, trying to get the turn signals working, I see NO need for turn signal fuses, or for that matter any fuses in the lighting system, most of the older military trucks (939 and down) do not have them, not worrying about water proofing, the rest of the system is far from water proof. I guess just pick something not working and get it working, then go no to the next rat dinner, speaking of dinner, I found the REST of the defroster tube, ALL 18" of it.

I also found that after the master switch and the on/off switch is turned off that somewhere in the system something is storing juice (sorta like a capacitor), it takes about 30 sec.for a relay to open (you can here the "click", then no more juice, so be careful.
I really like this guy. No matter how bad the problem is, dive in head first and get er done. Ron, thank you for the update and for the tips

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the POS truck starts with the start button...

... I am about 20 gal. of blood short...
Congratulations! Now you can start (no pun intended) using the screwdriver for other things.
And being 20 gal. short will definitely give you nice and low blood pressure. Which can be helpful when working on certain vehicles.

All I got done today was reinstalling the formerly bent axle locating rods.

General Hood

Congratulations! Now you can start (no pun intended) using the screwdriver for other things.
And being 20 gal. short will definitely give you nice and low blood pressure. Which can be helpful when working on certain vehicles.

All I got done today was reinstalling the formerly bent axle locating rods.
What? No photos?

ricstv

I will be draining the coolant the manual states to drain from engine block by removing plug and seal ring, it states to discard seal ring and intall plug and new seal ring, does anyone know where to get new seal ring for engine block? Appreciate your replies.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be draining the coolant the manual states to drain from engine block by removing plug and seal ring, it states to discard seal ring and intall plug and new seal ring, does anyone know where to get new seal ring for engine block? Appreciate your replies.
I'd remove the plug a seal carefully, then stick them back in.
If you end up ruining the seal, Expedition Imports and others should have them...if there's no generic replacement.

Yea, yea. That was a typo on the 60% 30% thing. Of course, it was supposed to be 60% 40%. For the 24 Quart system, that leaves 14.4 Quarts of antifreeze, and 9.6 Quarts of Water. That's approaching the limits of what the experts recommend, right where I'd like to have it.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the 24 Quart system, that leaves 14.4 Quarts of antifreeze, and 9.6 Quarts of Water. That's approaching the limits of what the experts recommend, right where I'd like to have it.
Alright, you got me curious. Why would you want to be at the upper limit?
I always try to stay at the lower limit, enjoying the increased heat transfer and money savings that result from using as little anti freeze as possible.

And speaking of anti freeze, I captured some in a bucket when the freeze plug on the M1009 let go. Then put some of it to good use.
No rats in the SEE, but mouse droppings have started to appear in the cab. Thinking that the little critter(s) might be thirsty, I put a small bowl of anti freeze on the floor.
Gotta check today if it needs to be refilled. It has rained a fair amount recently, so they can't be all that thirsty.

General Hood

Alright, you got me curious. Why would you want to be at the upper limit?
I always try to stay at the lower limit, enjoying the increased heat transfer and money savings that result from using as little anti freeze as possible.

And speaking of anti freeze, I captured some in a bucket when the freeze plug on the M1009 let go. Then put some of it to good use.
No rats in the SEE, but mouse droppings have started to appear in the cab. Thinking that the little critter(s) might be thirsty, I put a small bowl of anti freeze on the floor.
Gotta check today if it needs to be refilled. It has rained a fair amount recently, so they can't be all that thirsty.
There should be a government backed study, "what attracts rodents to the FLU419?", like opposed to the AMC Gremlin

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a government backed study, "what attracts rodents to the FLU419?", like opposed to the AMC Gremlin
Without resorting to using tax dollars, I happen to know what attracted rodents to mid 2000s GM pickups.
For whatever reason, GM thought it'd be a good idea to lube up the wiring harnesses with (basically) peanut butter.

As far as them liking the SEE goes, maybe it's like people often preferring exotic food? Not that German food is all that great.

Another Ahab

Without resorting to using tax dollars, I happen to know what attracted rodents to mid 2000s GM pickups.
For whatever reason, GM thought it'd be a good idea to lube up the wiring harnesses with (basically) peanut butter.

As far as them liking the SEE goes, maybe it's like people often preferring exotic food? Not that German food is all that great.
There you go. It all makes sense now:
- in Germany, Daimler-Benz probably lubed their harnesses with sausage fats. :mrgreen: :beer:

i_love_german_sausage_sticker-ra530d535c6354675b957824c6ea10f72_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks