• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

ramdough

Anyone with the 3.07 gears have any issues with not enough torque for hill climbing, off-road, towing, etc? I have heard that without hp upgrades higher speed gears can cause everything to be sluggish when you would naturally need more torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tburk49760

I was one of the first to regear one and it is hands down the best mod I've done so far. Basically the same as adding another gear on top... I was worried that 1st gear would not be low enough for real grunt work. Not the case. Mine is nearly a daily driver and I keep up with traffic fine. Want not need more power...

PowerstrokeNC

Anyone with the 3.07 gears have any issues with not enough torque for hill climbing, off-road, towing, etc? I have heard that without hp upgrades higher speed gears can cause everything to be sluggish when you would naturally need more torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My LMTV accelerates faster.... doesnt have to row through a bunch of close ratios, its way more drive-able and responsive in my opinion.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good info in the planetary hub set up post, for gear lash at the hubs. The center sections themselves are like A ford 9". And will be pre set up for ring and pinion lash

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you have an A1 with the computer controlled ECM its just a matter of having Caterpillar change the settings in the ECM.
I had them change my ECM settings and now reads correctly.
Now the vehicle tops out at 74mph according to the speedometer. After a 250 mile trip loaded with a 1951 M38 Jeep with the cruise control set at 60mph, I calculated the MPG at 6.5 MPG compared to before the gear change with no load and driving 55mph only getting 3.5mpg.

DrillerSurplus

if you have an A1 with the computer controlled ECM its just a matter of having Caterpillar change the settings in the ECM.
Now the vehicle tops out at 74mph according to the speedometer. After a 250 mile trip loaded with a 1951 M38 Jeep with the cruise control set at 60mph, I calculated the MPG at 6.5 MPG compared to before the gear change with no load and driving 55mph only getting 3.5mpg.
Wow! that's a big improvement in mpg.

coachgeo

Im curious..... most info I've read was the 3116 got around 6.5-7mpg. Why do you think your's was at first getting half what has been suggested as the norm? Or is my recall of the "norm" way off base?

scottmandu

3.5 mpg is hard to believe I got 4 mpg doing 45 mph for 65 miles leaving tracks in the sand a foot deep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks