• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

BuiltMFG

So I just spoke to the people at Premier Metal Buyers in Brenham TX and they shipped the last of the gears that they had out last week. Has anybody else had any leads?

BuiltMFG

I found some gears and it'll cost me about 2500 per. Not including install. I spoke with Couch Offroad and he said a reliable source told him that after the new gears are put in the transmission switches in and out of gears as if it's searching for something between gears. Has anybody encountered this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
On the back under the transmission is an output speed sensor. Around 65 bucks online. Easy to replace held on with one screw. If its real bad you will get a fault code. But if its just a little off then you will start getting odd shifting.

BuiltMFG

So assuming the computer has been reprogrammed the gear swap shouldn't result in anything that can't be diagnosed/fixed? Suprman, have you done a swap yet?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No but have had to replace plenty of the speed sensors. Im ok with the stock road speed I would rather have the low end pulling power over a few more mph. I dont go far in my trucks.

ramdough

I found some gears and it'll cost me about 2500 per. Not including install. I spoke with Couch Offroad and he said a reliable source told him that after the new gears are put in the transmission switches in and out of gears as if it's searching for something between gears. Has anybody encountered this?

That is a crazy price. I would not even consider it for that price.

BuiltMFG

That is a crazy price. I would not even consider it for that price.

Well, it's all about perspective. It's still cheaper than a Fuso, Sprinter or a Unimog. The price of entry on these things is so low and the parts aren't the sort of thing you can pick up at Napa (for the most part)

willray

Just getting started in this LMTV craziness - seem to be about to become the owner of a M1081.

Can someone who understands the details please confirm that if Meritor B416561 units can be sourced, that a pair of these can be swapped into M1078/etc axles to achieve the desired taller gear ratio?

Also, could someone provide a NSN for the MRAP axles that contain the appropriate differential sections?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

expeditionnw

I dont know what that first meritor number is.

im attaching a photo of the id tag from the mrap third member.

this third member isnt unique to the military. There are several meritor housings that use this carrier, and as such, different ratios can be had at the parts haus level- if you are willing to pay. Think $1500ish for a gear set.

Attachments

willray

I dont know what that first meritor number is.
Back in post 223 scottmandu indicated (if I'm reading correctly) that B416561 is the Meritor part number for the 3.07 ring and pinion set for the A6 3200W1869 differential unit (actually, I'm still not clear where the boundaries of the A6 3200W1869 part are with respect to the differential gear set, input shaft, etc).

If that's true, B416561 seems cheaper and potentially easier to acquire than complete A6 3200W1869 307 units are. Of course, I assume that if I could find a pair of A6 3200W1869 307 units, that they'd come pre-set-up, so there's some value in not having to do that adjustment.
im attaching a photo of the id tag from the mrap third member.
Thank you! Remembering I'm an idiot and newbie, I find it hard to believe that there aren't other people reading this with similar scant information, and this is the first time anyone has mentioned that the axle ratio is actually a suffix to the A6 3200W1869 part number. That'll be very helpful on the hunt.
this third member isnt unique to the military. There are several meritor housings that use this carrier, and as such, different ratios can be had at the parts haus level- if you are willing to pay. Think $1500ish for a gear set.
I don't know if SteelSoldiers permits pointing at a supplier, but, if you have any recommendations as to where one might look to find these in the $1500 price range, a guy who has never dealt with this kind of thing could use a shove in a useful direction. Of course, I'd much rather find a source for the $800 axles you folks have been cannibalizing for a while, but it looks like I'm a bit late to that party (pity - I could have used the axle housings too - cut in half big axle housings make great pedestals for grinders, and I'm still trying to rebuild my shop after we had a fire eat everything last year).

coachgeo

note....... most of the swaps folk do are complete center members cause they come out of a Camean Axle whole that way. While one "might" could find just new Ring and Pinion gears alone for cheaper you still have to pay someone to disassemble your center member and install them. So labor wise your better off doing the whole center member swap from one used Military axle to yours. Obviously cheaper to ship a center member than a whole axle.

For just center member search out Bryce. if you search in here for facebook Bryce you will find his Contact info. Do it quick. He is going out of business/selling his business. If you want a whole axle search for Steve6x6x6. he only sells full axles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks