• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum auction

houdel

Question 2, Nature of End User's Business, I put "Personal"; Question 3, Nature of Prinicipal's Business, I put "Hobbiest"; my EUC sailed through.

Ditto Chuck's comments on the title companies, I've heard nothing but bad comments on them and the fee for big trucks is pretty steep.

I've figured out how to work the Michigan titiling thing without a SF-97; I could probably get you a Michigan title and transfer it back to you pretty easily but you'd probably have to bring the truck out here. They require a serial/VIN number inspection and certification by a LEO, I doubt they would accept one by a NY LEO. Chuck - Your thoughts?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won the deuce on E-Bay! holy cr@p, thats 2 in 2 days! I think I need some meds. :cookoo:
I'll get pics as soon as possible. Thanks again to all . Eric

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding the "No SF97". I'm looking at bidding on a duece...my first...and am still a bit unclear about obtaining a title with only a Bill-o-sale. I'm in California. Can someone direct me to the right person, link, etc?

houdel

Bigmike - hang on to your atheletic supporter, it gets worse! You do NOT get a "bill of sale" from GL, after your EUC clears they send you a PDF "Invoice" which you print off by yourself. Mine did not even have the truck serial number listed, the GL rep woudn't sign my copy and blew me completely off when I asked about the SF-97.

I had to do some "creative rework" of my paperwork to get a title and registration here in Michigan. Don't ask me what, I won't tell, Chuck Grahm is a MI LEO and watches this forum carefully, I don't want him ratting me out to the DMV (just kidding Chuck). It took me about 2 months of hassle to finally get my title and registration but I finally got it worked out.

The DMV people here are for the most part a bunch of pr*cks, after many phone calls I finally tied up with a very helpful lady, after that my paperwork breezed on through. Hang in there, you will eventually get it done, just be prepared for a lot of aggravation along the way!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I went to pickup the deuce from Fort Drum. I met Ken with GL. I went with my friend with a rollback. Everything went well. When I got it in my driveway I put a couple batteries in it and checked over everything I could think of. I operated the shut off cable and confirmed action. I removed the air intake mushroom and instructed my wife how to choke off the intake if I needed! I flipped the main switch on and on came the low air buzzer! I could hear the fuel pump! I then pushed the starter button and big sparks came from underneath the truck! So i checked the terminals once (no evidence of arcing) next I checked the ground to frame bolt and it was loose (so I tightened it) One more push of the starter and It turned over! I let it crank about 5-7 seconds, at the same time I was watching the gauges for oil pressure. Suddenly it fired up an was idling nice but I still saw no oil pressure. I whacked the dash with my palm and the oil pres. went to max on the gauge (60).Next a good hard stomp on the brakes (felt good), I put it in gear and let up the clutch and away it went (first gear low range) I then tried high range. so far all is good. So the wife got in and down the road we go! This truck is not a turbo. Old fuel and a heavy foot left a trail of black smoke all the way down the road! We then drove around the neighborhood for about 10 miles(top speed was about 45 mph) That concluded today's adventure. All this from a GL truck I did not preview or really expect to be all that good. It does have quite a bit less power than the E-Bay Deuce! The oil pres. gauge is erratic and the lights don't work. I'm still very impressed with this purchase! (No SF-97 and I don't care at the moment)

Attachments

ida34

houdel said:
Chuck Grahm is a MI LEO and watches this forum carefully, I don't want him ratting me out to the DMV (just kidding Chuck). It took me about 2 months of hassle to finally get my title and registration but I finally got it worked out.
I just saw your comment so I must be slipping. Busy lately. I really didn't advance any information past what they asked for at SOS. I really did not want everything to come to a halt when they figured out something like the deuce had tandem drive axles. It just so happens they did not ask.

houdel

Another nice looking truck!

The number 1 cause of any electrical problems on a Deuce is a poor ground, as evidenced by the thump you gave the oil guage to get it working. The oil pressure guage is electrical, it draws +24V from the spider harness on the back side of the dash panel, the oil pressure sender is essentially a variable resistance potentiometer, and the ground is through four teeth on the bracket that holds the guage to the dash panel.

To fix the guage to read properly you need to remove the dash panel, remove the OP guage mounting bracket, wire brush the teeth on the bracket and thier respective contact points on the dash panel, apply a conductive grease to all 8 surfaces (I like to use copper-filled anti sieze compound) and reassemble. Removing the dash panel is a minor PIA, if you need more info I left detailed instructions in another posting, see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5787.

If ALL you lights are not working you might have a bad light switch or a harness connnector problem. There is a Deuce electrical schematic posted somewhere on this board, if you need it Ill find the link for it.

ida34

Very nice deuce. I bought mine from GL and drove it home without a preview. I did go check it out before driving it home. That looked like a tight fit on the rollback. How long is the deck on that?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin good man. 2 runners, thats a blessing. You now need the towbar and a slave cable

m.walker

Cool man now you'll have to decide which one to drive . There's a company called International Title Service ( or something like that ) get a title for the GL one and you'll have two legal ones ! You lucked out , Nice ride !

Desert Rat

As far as the lights are concerned be careful!! I found out with my truck some PFC decided to skimp on work and make a bridge to complete a circuit but not replace the three-way or the harness like he should have! He was more interested in the weekend pass than a safe truck. I still need a new harness and switch, but remidied the problem with a new connector for now. So if the lights are a problem, pull out the dash switch and see if a PFC hacked the harness.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent some time in the driveway today. I aired up all 10 tires to 50 psi.(they were around 15 - 35 psi) I looked into the lights.( found all but 3 are blown) the highbeam indicator, front air switch and one b.o rear worked. I figured that out ,after first printing the wiring schematic and page on the light switch trouble shooting(pinout) and spending about an hour diagnosing all the light wires and the 3 lever switch( all checked out ok!) this thing looks to have a recent 3 lever light switch and alternator replacement and 2 new front light covers. It seems to be charging ok(have not confirmed).I did notice a .025 amp draw on the batterys when i connect the ground cable?( not sure about that yet) I drove around another 5-10 miles.(all was well.,I hit 50 mph) :driver:

I also got the E bay deuce registered and insured toay! I may drive it home today if the weather holds(no top) Hagerty ins $ 104/year. they wanted a pic of it in my garage before insuring me! :cookoo: Also they said no towing with it! (Yeah, sure) :)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I also cleaned off the tag on the transmission. It's a 3053 TMC Wolverhamton, England! I wonder what the ratio is? Anyone else have this trans?
I also noticed a recent air-pack,stearing gear-box and mastercylinder!

houdel

Dave - Here is another thread with some discussion on the TMC Wolverhampton transmission. Gerhard (gringeltaube) seems to have some inside info on that particular trans, although it might just be a standard Spicer 3053A with the wrong date plates. Take a good look at the pics, the TMC and Spicer trannys do look different.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
doghead said:
I also got the E bay deuce registered and insured toay! I may drive it home today if the weather holds(no top) Hagerty ins $ 104/year. they wanted a pic of it in my garage before insuring me! :cookoo: Also they said no towing with it! (Yeah, sure) :)
I can hear it now..."no I wasn't towing withi it, that was my other deuce"

mangus580

BFR said:
doghead said:
I can hear it now..."no I wasn't towing withi it, that was my other deuce"
:funny:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
doghead said:
I can hear it now..."no I wasn't towing with it, that was my other deuce"
It gets funnier. When I got the Ins. ,the local broker I used is "manned" by only two employees. One is my sister-inlaw. The other is my brother-inlaws mother-inlaw. I told them I needed an extra Ins card and they asked why. I said , because I have two trucks that look alike and the DMV gave me Two license plates. (one for each truck!) They both just cringed and coverd their ears !!! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks